Harriers

Is there any breeders that u guys would recommend as I'm looking for a dog pup for my brother out in oz the dog will be going out there to join a small pack to hunt samba deer as the law has been changed and my brother is no longer able to use his blood hounds for tracking work if anybody can help me I'd very grateful young dogs up to a year or forth coming litters would be a great help or even just where to start with breeders atb rj

Is there any breeders that u guys would recommend as I'm looking for a dog pup for my brother out in oz the dog will be going out there to join a small pack to hunt samba deer as the law has been changed and my brother is no longer able to use his blood hounds for tracking work if anybody can help me I'd very grateful young dogs up to a year or forth coming litters would be a great help or even just where to start with breeders atb rj

There wont be no specific breeder's they will come from a pack not a back yard breeder like lurcher's and terrier's try phoneing a few harrier pack's and talking to the huntsman and i dont get how he would be able to use a harrier if the law has changed it will only do the same as the bloodhound i dont get that bit ??

hedz31

my brother is asking on my behalf mate ,we currently use bloodhound and beagles ,the advantage we have now that the harriers that will be legal to use from april 01/2013 is there leg speed and height ,it the best of what we currently get from either of the other two breeds ,its a very fine line to get the best hounds to ensure a quick fair hunt to ensure best practise for the deer and the dogs ,you gotta remember we hunt mountain ranges here not rolling hill and its very taxing on the dogs with the harsh conditions so the mid height mid weight harrier will be a great addition to australian hound hunters

still no foxhounds tho :(

• Like 1

hedz31

my brother is asking on my behalf mate ,we currently use bloodhound and beagles ,the advantage we have now that the harriers that will be legal to use from april 01/2013 is there leg speed and height ,it the best of what we currently get from either of the other two breeds ,its a very fine line to get the best hounds to ensure a quick fair hunt to ensure best practise for the deer and the dogs ,you gotta remember we hunt mountain ranges here not rolling hill and its very taxing on the dogs with the harsh conditions so the mid height mid weight harrier will be a great addition to australian hound hunters

hedz31

from the sound's of the terrain you would be better suited with fell hound's, harrier's were always bred as flat open land hound's and gentle rolling hill for hare and fox they were never bred with mountain ranges in mind fell type hound's and welsh hound's were though :thumbs:
  • Like 1

hedz31

well would you think of cross breeding the bloodhound with the beagles and keep the size hounds you want from the litters you breed? just a suggestion, y.i.s , sionnach
  • Like 1

Sionnach

Yeah there are a few packs that have the x breeds in them and they do just fine . I'm looking to get one of the first new line harrier packs going out of Melbourne , we have 2 half sister bitches of which one is preggers ATM ,I would like some new bloodline straight from the mother country as its very difficult to get the bloodlines right with limited stock here

2013 will be the first year we can legally use the harriers and I'm very keen to be one of the first todo so

Any help won't go unnoticed either

Cheers

AS

• Like 1

fell hounds have been used on the samba and other packs however they were caught up in the foxhound ban, It was beleived by the authorites that the slower breeds ie bloodhound and beagle would not be able to catch and maul the deer. Foxhounds had been breed for the task for many years and were exerlent, unfortunately a pack was a little too good and caught a deer in front of the wrong people this went to the papers which bought on the ban. The regulations have now been relaxed to the point where some other breeds have been allowed harier being one of them. Truth be known all the deer houndsman would sell a kidney to have the foxhounds back again.

• Like 1

Seems as crazy a law as the bullshit going on back home in the UK , so...... If I've got this right you can run a deer with harriers, the harriers can then pull down the deer and that's ok, but if you do the same with a foxhound then it's illegal.

I would just breed heavy marked small foxhounds and say they were harriers, who's gonna know

Hmmm yes well ,all deer hunting hounds are registered and measured by a official ,so this isn't really the way to go although there are some who try to bend the rules , I believe in fair game and a fair hunt . We all play by the rules and do the right thing then we take small step to getting closer to using the fox hounds one day maybe , it's the idiots who do the wrong thing and get caught in places where they shouldn't be spoling it for he rest of us !

To be honest we shoot plenty of deer using beagles and bloodhounds ,you get out what you put in ! ,the harrier will be a great addition to hound hunters in Australia there size and leg speed will only assist in fair game and a speedy chase , less stress on dogs deer and old farts like me

no coyotee hunter they are not allowed to catch the deer just drive it to the guns. simular to the way it is done in europe.

the samba are hunted by droping the hounds on a freash scent or wallow letting work it up i so doing pushing the deer to a line of hunters that have been planted in various vantage points to despatch the deer. most of this is done in very mountainous rugged terain the drive and athletic ability was fantastic the bloodhounds and beagles not as good though a lot has been done to breed them more for the purpose the harier is seen a compromise betwween the 2.

• Like 1

no coyotee hunter they are not allowed to catch the deer just drive it to the guns. simular to the way it is done in europe.

the samba are hunted by droping the hounds on a freash scent or wallow letting work it up i so doing pushing the deer to a line of hunters that have been planted in various vantage points to despatch the deer. most of this is done in very mountainous rugged terain the drive and athletic ability was fantastic the bloodhounds and beagles not as good though a lot has been done to breed them more for the purpose the harier is seen a compromise betwween the 2.

Well said stevemac ,your obviously a hounds man like myself ,love my bloodhound and the few beagles we run but can see that having the harrier in some part that we are allowed to hunt will be a advantage

You use hounds yourself ????

Guys hold the press , after some sweet negotiations I'm now the proud owner of 2x 14 month old male brother harriers , add them to the 2 half sister ( one of which is preggers ) I have the makings of a new harrier pack for April 1st 2013 ,will be a lot of hard work this year but I'm sure it will pay off for our crew in the years to come

Thanks again for all your help guys :-)

There wont be no specific breeder's they will come from a pack not a back yard breeder like lurcher's and terrier's try phoneing a few harrier pack's and talking to the huntsman and i dont get how he would be able to use a harrier if the law has changed it will only do the same as the bloodhound i dont get that bit ??

they wont give pups that easy , unless you can proove whats happening

Well said stevemac ,your obviously a hounds man like myself ,love my bloodhound and the few beagles we run but can see that having the harrier in some part that we are allowed to hunt will be a advantage

You use hounds yourself ????

Hi aussiesamba

I was a houndsman for a long time but not any more scince my situation changed . I still have a very large soft spot for scenthounds and love to watch and listen to them work. foxhounds were my hound of choise but have hunted beagles and bassets as well.

good luck with your harriers hope they prove just right for you.