what injections and when

i have to 8 week old jills and the vet has told me i only need to get disptemper injection at 12 weeks old the same type you give a dog but a lad i no who kept ferrets told me you should get distemper and weils injection for ones that are going to work and should be done at 9 weeks all advise would be great thanks guys and girls

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Mate; The up and coming generation of dry feeders may argue this point, from their lofty stance of having been around ferrets for a season or two and having read some shit on the internet. But the fact is, since the dawn of time, No one has had ferrets jabbed for Anything. Mink Farmers? Now those boys jabbed Everything for anything they could buy a jab for. Or at least they did it for Distemper and one other thing the name of which, frankly, has lost itself to me over the decades since I last gave it any thought. But I know they used the two seprate jabs. They also had their lifes work and money invested in thousands of closely packed mustalids. One sniff of anything and they could wake up bankrupt.

I honestly don't think I ever in my life heard of a contemporary ferret death due to distemper. Bound to have been an isolated case somewhere, some time. Mate of mine lost a Dog to it decades back. But I've known a Lot of people with a LOT of Dogs who didn't. Known almost as many people with probably as many ferrets. Had my finger on the pulse too. Never heard of it.

Weils Disease? There is no vaccine in existance worth a light against that mate. And anyway, to even try and vaccinate a ferret against it shows a basic misunderstanding of the disease and it's mode of infection. It comes from the urine of an infected / carrying rat. What's ye ferret to do down there then? Suck up rats piss?

Ok then, yes. For the sake of arguement we'll consider it possible that a ferret could concievably take a deep bite to the flank. Then, as he wrestles with another rat, that rat could piss itself and manage to get some into the open wound of the ferret. Or ye could step back and tread on ye damn ferret in the excitement. About as likely.

Either way, see above. There's no vaccine available that's worthy of the name. Just keep them dry, give them air and space and feed them on their natural diet. They'll by and large live long, active, healthy little lives. As ferrets have done for millenia. Without any sorts of jabs. No point looking for worries. Internet makes people do that ;)

as above from ditch, have kept ferrets since a lad and never had jabs done,

as an enquirey are you reading this from ferret books by american writers?, only its the sort of thing they would say

as an enquirey are you reading this from ferret books by american writers?, only its the sort of thing they would say

None of the books I have read and reading books is all I have done as I am a ferret newbie have mentioned jabs for ferrets bar the jill jab and and acute vetinary treatment that may be required.

But as above, these were all UK books so no mention of silly clothes either.

/Mad

SL, listen to what your vet tells you and make your own judgements, generally they know what they are on about, though some do err on the side caution, too much for my own likings at times, and two vets may give you different views on the same matter! What you read on some of these posts more often than not with regards amatuer veterinary care isn't always correct! James MacKay has a good section in his ferreting book with regards ferret welfare that is bang on in being factual and correct.

not wanting to get into a heated debate here but,....

quote; listen to what your vet tells you and make your own judgements

are vets not there to make money, of course they are gonna try and get you jabbing ferts as most peeps keep more than one (they become addictive) he's gonnna be rubbing his hands with glee

if a poll was done on here I bet the number of non jab keepers would be in the double or more figures

and the jabbers the singular

SL, listen to what your vet tells you and make your own judgements, generally they know what they are on about, though some do err on the side caution, too much for my own likings at times, and two vets may give you different views on the same matter! What you read on some of these posts more often than not with regards amatuer veterinary care isn't always correct! James MacKay has a good section in his ferreting book with regards ferret welfare that is bang on in being factual and correct.

Oh you mean the ferret expert, horse whisperer & jack russell breeder & general all round twat :yes::yes::D

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Oh you mean the ferret expert, horse whisperer & jack russell breeder & general all round twat :yes::yes::D

:hmm: Was that a veiled referance to my own " Jack Russel X Pointer " ?! :rofl:

:hmm: Was that a veiled referance to my own " Jack Russel X Pointer " ?! :rofl:

I was on about McKay not you :D

More jabs?...Absolutely no need!

Some people will loose ferrets unexpectedly.So will owners of every known pet and some owners themselves come to that!

Life and death cannot be hidden.Animal or human.

Everyone hates it when it happens to their pet but we are observers of nature and not controllers of nature.

Wildlife,tamed or otherwise cannot be kept in a box with a label and controlled with drugs. :)

More jabs?...Absolutely no need!

Some people will loose ferrets unexpectedly.So will owners of every known pet and some owners themselves come to that!

Life and death cannot be hidden.Animal or human.

Everyone hates it when it happens to their pet but we are observers of nature and not controllers of nature.

Wildlife,tamed or otherwise cannot be kept in a box with a label and controlled with drugs. :)

i have never had a ferret jabbed for distemper in 13 yrs & have personally never heard of a ferret getting it either :)

i don't think there is any point i vaccinations i reckon some one who got one as a pet said to the vet what jabs dose it need? the the vet thought i know i give it a vaccine charge twice the price and the owner goes away with piece of mind and Ive made a bit of money too.

my granddad would laugh his head off if he saw this thread he had a hard enough time getting his head round the kids walking the ferts down the lane on leads and trying to explain that bread and milk isn't what people feed to ferrets any more and that the food of choice is rabbit he was amazed and truly thinks we are mollycoddling them he hasnt kept ferts in about thirty years and he used them to catch rabbits to feed his family

i have to 8 week old jills and the vet has told me i only need to get disptemper injection at 12 weeks old the same type you give a dog but a lad i no who kept ferrets told me you should get distemper and weils injection for ones that are going to work and should be done at 9 weeks all advise would be great thanks guys and girls

I have had ferrets for years and never had them jabbed, its a matter of choice really :victory:

Guest Ditch_Shitter
I was on about McKay not you :D

:laugh: Oh, sorry; I thought ye were refering to vet's in general. One of those all wise ones like who suggested my 'Small Dog' was a " Jack Russel X Pointer ".

Makay ....? :hmm: I remember now. I've read that book. Brown cover with oranget text on it? Thin thing.

I just about managed to read it to the end, incredulous. Then I slung it in the dustbin! Only book on the subject I've ever read that espoused even more utter b*llocks than Plummers " Modern Ferreting "! :rolleyes: