first lurcher

Think long and hard and get out with different lads doing different stuff.

Retrieving shot game etc.

You may at the moment think a terrier/whippet will be just what you want but if a couple of years down the line you get into bigger stuff then it means getting a second dog. Obviously this isn't practical for everyone.

I very nearly had a whippet. At the time I was only interested in rabbits. But now I'm well into retrieving larger shot game which a whippet simply wouldn't be ideal for.

If however you are adamant it will only be bunnys and the odd retrieval job then I love whippets and I think most people who get one do!

Gaz

• Like 4

Always the whippet/terrier crosses posted for folk looking for their first lurcher, if theres one guarantee post on this forum its that one....

Just get yourself an average sized dog from working parents and enjoy.... :D

hi guys i am looking for a Lurcher for rabbits . What should i ask about? what should i Look for in a pup? feedback would be get help much thanks byron

Decied what your going to hunt, you say rabbits, how your going to hunt, lamping,ferreting, working nets or what ever, type of land you,ll be working, clear open pasture [whippet or grew would be good] hedge,s or around thick cover, barbed wire fence,s, plough or lots of stone in the fields, maybe somthing abit tougher, poss beddy X whippet or a 3/4 cross if you want abit more speed, if your looking for somthing abit taller you may want some greyhound blood in the mix, take your time and dont rush into anything would be my addvice, have a word with somone local to you working the same type of land, good luck with what ever you choose and come back on and let us know, ATB, buster

every man is diffrent to what they like, i have a saluki/grey/whippit and that in my eyes is best all round dog u can own, only u can deside mate do abit of research to what breeds do what as everyone who works dogs on here will say their breed of dog is best (no dif to any man) ONLY U CAN DESIDE

• Like 1

i got a beautiful black puppy i viewed both working parents and a puppy from a previous litter the dam was amazing it was a collie x whippet x deer hound the sire was also a good looking Lurcher which was collie x whippet x greyhound and the dog from previous litter was ace and i am very happy and look forward to lamp rabbits with it 644043_4305082098520_525747712_n.jpg

Edited by thetruck
  • Like 1