Sign in to follow this  
midnight

midnight knife making compatition (only 8 places )

Just spent two hours on the handles and managed to snap it just as I was putting the brass rod in :(

I got a blank think its acrylic but when you sand it silver and blue come out broke it trying to do the pins. super glueing it but I think the glue will come threw when I sand it :(

D1853926-A921-4D6F-B9BD-AD93A88FB53D-3779-000008ED2D87AD1A.jpg

Got mine back tonight so it's onto cutting the scales tonight. Not sure how I'm going to do it as the handle is going to be made from a Banksia nut which is a big cylinder so no flat surface to clamp it on. I'll take a couple of pics while I do it so people can see what I'm doing.

Finally got started on cutting the handle scales. I'm going for some scales cut from a Banksia nut which looks like this post-32944-0-62604900-1355650152_thumb.jpg

And after a long time with a hacksaw (I wanted to get the cut as smooth as possible) I ended up with the first bit

Edited by jamm13dodger

bloody hell lots of hard work there !!

iv just put a mirror finnish on the flats of the blade of mine and cut the buffalo horn scales .

edge grinding tonight and glue up for the handle . got file work on mine nothing to hardcore ..

The first part for the scales looks like this post-32944-0-32821500-1355650424_thumb.jpg

Quick question for everyone, when putting scales on in the past I have glued them on and then shaped the scales in place. Downside of this is that I invariably scratch the blade during shaping the handle. Any advice on how to avoid this?

Edited by jamm13dodger

Quick question for everyone, when putting scales on in the past I have glued them on and then shaped the scales in place. Downside of this is that I invariably scratch the blade during shaping the handle. Any advice on how to avoid this?

shape that bit of the scales prior to gluing and pining them on :thumbs:

Well here is the scales cut

post-32944-0-90886200-1355668661_thumb.jpg

Need to choose how to fill the occlusions, I'm thinking brass powder mixed with an epoxy resin which I can then sand and polish. Not sure how it will work out but gotta give it a go I think.

Obviously they look quite dull at the moment, I've just sanded the faces to be fitted to the blade flat, but hopefully they will polish up nicely.

• Like 1

Finished !! Probably spent about 8 hours maybe more on this wish I had spent longer. Had problems along the way broke the handle was the biggest but I have made a knife I love. i have learnt loads doing this and I'm already starting the next one. :)

Thanks to Matt for this also gaffer I got the sheath from him from craigboys auction which he had donated it fits perfect and is a thing of beauty..

Come on guys lets get some more pics up of works in progress :)

7B92BADC-B1BC-40CD-B5E5-B9736FF900F3-2194-000001B1404DA8A1.jpg

2E4FCF63-DF9B-4E91-9797-0210CB65A5BB-2194-000001B12A09DFCB.jpg

F4DF134D-AFBC-40B2-BF40-68C52EB775BC-2194-000001B1481DD890.jpg

7F29E0DB-C911-435E-A5E5-C10F0E134B54-2194-000001B12323DCE8.jpg

F615904D-496F-4D36-9D9C-82F2E4A64D67-2194-000001B130EDF0F2.jpg

• Like 1