another trip out with a beginner and his kits

decided to take my young nephew out again with his two young gill ferrets. i had been lamping a spot the other night and noticed the rabbits mostly headed for one spot so today i decided to see if i could get any with the ferrets.

i picked the young lad up at 11 o clock this morning and headed out to our spot. we pulled up and started off walking a hedgerow towards the place i had in mind, about 100 yards up the hedge i got a mark off my old dog under a small oak tree which was only 5 holes. i started to put the nets on and bang a rabbit bolted and off it went down the other side the hedge. we still put the ferrets in but blanked.

i was nearing my spot i had in mind when i come across another warren just inside a strip of wood it was about 30 holes but looked as though it would be reasonably shallow which made me try it. put the ferrets in and herd a rumble straight away then nothing for about 5 minutes. i had to dig 4 foot to both gills and a dead rabbit. i put them back in and bolted another 5 but ended up missing 1.

had a couple more bolts through the day and didnt even make it up to the place i wanted to start from. ended up with 9 out of 11 which i was happy with and the young lad was well happy its his best day out.

end of day shot

kieran9001.jpg

kieran9005.jpg

i bet young Kierans chuffed to bits mate. . .great end of day shot of him with his hard earned gains.

Glad them Ferts are doing the job as expected. . . They did alright last week on them long hedgerows, looks like they're gonna be very busy little ferts this winter.