Moderator removal and Rezeroing

Well, took the rifle to a local dealers,

He reckons the crown is absolutely fine, as it's not causing an issue with any of the rifling. As for the rezeroing issue - with the mod on, it looks like it's bent very slightly up and right. Looks the same with any other mod he put on. So it may be the seating of the barrel behind the threading he reckoned.

It's gone off today to the range, to have a couple of moderators on it, to test fire, to see whether it's the barrel or the mod itself.

Worst case is, it'll need cut down slightly, and rethreaded. Don't know what the implications of that are, or whether it needs reproofed? Can't understand how it could be bent, as it's not been manhandled or dropped - whilst I've had it, unless the previous owner did - but then it would never have fired accurately...........the threading itself is still fine.

Not sure whether to just get rid altogether, and start over with a fresh shiny one, and a decent mod, or to stick with it. I'll wait and see what the outcome of the test fire at the range is, and keep you updated.

Have my eye on a few CZ .22lr rifles, maybe if I trade in and go for something a little more quiet, and see if that takes my fancy.............any reccomendations??

This one is a beauty when it's in the shoulder :http://shootingsports.edgarbrothers.com/pages/CZ-452-Thumbhole.aspx

Perhaps Santa is listening............. :whistling:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're going new, buy a CZ you like, trigger kit, and spend what money you'd have spent on a higher £ rifle on a really good scope and mounts   Oh, and a mod   That or buy a Weirauch, weerauc

Sak is good and cheap have one on my 22 lr

From what I know which ain't a lot you should be taking the mod of every time you put the rifle away as it will weld its self to barrel and destroy the crown . I clean my rifle and mod after every out

Posted Images

Was it a skilled gunny that done the thread cutting job or a man with a lathe,

the threads need to be cut square to the bore, and i have seen a few cases of the mod been slightly of to the point of the bullets clipping the baffles of the mod,

So be cautious with firing with a new mod on just in case that this may be the case with your rifle..

Snap.

Hey snap,

The rifle came from the factory already cut, so i can only assume it'll have been done to a decent standard there? Then again, you know what they say about assumption.........

Again, it doesnt explain why it suddenly started to shoot like crap, only after the mod had been taken off and then replaced........

If you're going new, buy a CZ you like, trigger kit, and spend what money you'd have spent on a higher £ rifle on a really good scope and mounts ;)

Oh, and a mod :D

That or buy a Weirauch, weerauch, wei... one of them rifles beginning with W that isn't Winchester.

Edited by JohnGalway
  • Like 2

Weihrauch lol!

Silly place to put a h, I nearly had it :laugh:

Only the krauts lol!

Since the Rechtschreibreform (reforming spelling in the german language), there are now some compound nouns that actually have 3 's' in a row. Unbelievable!

Back to the rifles they make though - anyone who wants to try before they buy can come and have a go on mine (que: 'If only you were nearer'! comments).

Well I think these are pretty good exhibits of 'Why its bad to leave a mod attached for any length of time' :icon_eek: - you live and learn!!!

The copper solvent took off a lot of the crap that had built up, and revealed a fair bit of pitting around the edge, and around the last few turns of the threading. Obviously this is why I had so much trouble getting the mod off!!!

Think this is going to need recrowned and possibly threaded. Any ideas how much that would cost guys?

Will have to visit the Gunsmiths on Monday................................. :cray:

i have just received my .222 back from being screw cut. it cost £75 and if i wanted the barrel shortening and recrowning it would of been an extra £20

Rifle back today,

Guy that took it to the range told me. 5 shots with no moderator - nice tight group, 5 shots with my moderator, way up and left from zero, 5 shots with a new moderator, back to centre and nice groups.

So the moderator is just fooked! :huh: Good news I guess, as at least it's not the barrel and can be sorted easily!

Thanks for all the info/advise, I'd have been arsing around for weeks with it all otherwise trying to work it out.

Guys at the local RFD are a really good bunch of guys and girls.

Rakers in Petworth - highly recommended if anyone is in the area! :yes:

my mate bought a hmr 17 with a edgar brothers moderater,after 15 rounds through it it let out a loud bang,he took the moderater off and the bullet had hit the washers,he took it back to the shop they gave him another to see how he gets on with that one and it done the very same,the gunsmith has sent the rifle back to the manufacturer but the way you guys are talking it sounds like its the moderater and not the rifle,i shall let you no what the outcome is,atb wf

If the bullet keeps hitting the mod then it is very simple, something isn't lined up, that could be the rifle bore, the thread on either the rifle or mod, or the mod was loose! The inside of the SM11 doesn't usually fall apart, the components just tend to melt/fuse together, is it the SM11 you are talking about?

This is easy, you just need eyes or possibly a rod if your eyes are ****!

A Gunsmith can see the problem immediately, so I don't get why he has sent the rifle back especially if he thinks it is the moderator! :hmm: :hmm:

im not sure which mod it is but i think its the one in the middle of the pic you put up,is it possible for the mod to come loose after only a few rounds through it,its not even fired 50 rounds,wf

Not sure whether it's something ive done to it by taking it apart, or whether it's got buggered over the last few months. The baffle next to the threading, is completely stuck, so it may be that the round is getting thrown off trajectory slightly as its leaving the mod.

It was the mod in the middle picture. Dont know the history behind it, as it was second hand ;so my plan is just to get rid of it and grab another one on a variation.

my mate bought a hmr 17 with a edgar brothers moderater,after 15 rounds through it it let out a loud bang,he took the moderater off and the bullet had hit the washers,he took it back to the shop they gave him another to see how he gets on with that one and it done the very same,the gunsmith has sent the rifle back to the manufacturer but the way you guys are talking it sounds like its the moderater and not the rifle,i shall let you no what the outcome is,atb wf

If the bullet keeps hitting the mod then it is very simple, something isn't lined up, that could be the rifle bore, the thread on either the rifle or mod, or the mod was loose! The inside of the SM11 doesn't usually fall apart, the components just tend to melt/fuse together, is it the SM11 you are talking about?

This is easy, you just need eyes or possibly a rod if your eyes are ****!

A Gunsmith can see the problem immediately, so I don't get why he has sent the rifle back especially if he thinks it is the moderator! :hmm: :hmm:

im not sure which mod it is but i think its the one in the middle of the pic you put up,is it possible for the mod to come loose after only a few rounds through it,its not even fired 50 rounds,wf

Moderators come loose on the barrel thread on a regular basis, but if that was the prolem it is obviously easy to tell, the mod can be clipped, or worse, by the bullet in these circumstances. Internally mods seldom come loose, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility, they tend to clog up and "weld" together.

The Sako Mod(left) and the SAK mod(right) have single piece internals, the Sirocco mod(centre) is a multiple unit made up of metal and plastic baffles. :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Not sure whether it's something ive done to it by taking it apart, or whether it's got buggered over the last few months. The baffle next to the threading, is completely stuck, so it may be that the round is getting thrown off trajectory slightly as its leaving the mod.

It was the mod in the middle picture. Dont know the history behind it, as it was second hand ;so my plan is just to get rid of it and grab another one on a variation.

Possibly a Good plan! :thumbs: