Anybody got any 13" Terriers and how are they in the field?

DS ...Define Serious Terrierman... :hmm:

Coonboy.. Not a Beginner,nor Paid Big money..was meant to be Gifted for work :icon_redface: but still ended up with Dogs .I.M.O. are not Digging Dogs !go figure :blink:

A terrierman who uses his dogs for what they were origionally bred for(earthwork) and excepts nothing less.As ive alredy said i have nothing against lads who use terriers for other stuff i dont mind a bit of bushing myself but i wouldnt class it as terrierwork and would not breed off a terrier that was used for just bushing.

So A man who as a YARD full of Terriers ,for EVERY occasion,would be Deemed NOT serious :hmm: and if he done a bit of beating ,picking up or what ever else a Canine can do ..Not SERIOUS.. :huh: the opposite I.M.O. a DOG MAN and not a one Trick pony ;)

If among that yard full of terriers he has a grop of Digging terriers that he gets out and works and only breeds them to other digging terriers then yes he is a serious terrierman.But if he breeds them terriers to bushers then no and if he only keeps terriers for bushing then hes a bloke having a bit of fun with some terriers.

Now that sounds about Right NOW :thumbs:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a couple of little ones. What they lack in size they make up for in drive. They have problems keeping up with hogs, but with small game they hold their own.

inches dont matter! only to your wife"

I also like to allow one terrier to work loose when checking earths ive also seen a good few digging terriers that are never allowed off the lead unless working try to f**k off every chance they get t

Each to their own. If a man gets enjoyment from bushing beating etc then so be it as long as no lies are told. Like tam says people's needs change and so do the terriers they keep. Some big name men have made a damn good living breeding from dogs that have never seen the outside of a kennel never mind a fox. We have all bought em I know I have. The men are still doing it today and I'm sure some of you have bought dogs from these names on the back of lies or some dog generations back that was a good un. If a man chooses to hunt a certain way he is hurting no one as long as the truth be told. Belittling someone who is not an "hardened digging man" is just macho ego shit

• Like 1

terriers that bush up ferreting,ratting etc are very useful dogs and are worthy of the name working terrier be they 11" or 13" and if people think different then they have not seen a good terrier work,just because a person works a dog to fox it dont make him a more knowledgeable or superior terrierman in any way

An example of two different terrier men are my brother and me, he values a good bushing terrier the same way I value a good earth dog. Although you couldn't give a me a good bushing dog because it's not what I enjoy, but he loves it. He's the same the last thing he would want is to be digging a hole for a fox but I wouldn't want to doing anything else but digging to a terrier! Both terrier work, horse for courses I suppose

• Like 1

Do you guys not find dens in the bush? Here most everything dens (when it does) under mats of interwoven blackberry and ivy... poison and otherwise.

The dogs have to locate under this sht, and then you have to chop your way to em to dig them out.

Do you guys not find dens in the bush? Here most everything dens (when it does) under mats of interwoven blackberry and ivy... poison and otherwise.

The dogs have to locate under this sht, and then you have to chop your way to em to dig them out.

I've Located New earths by the Fact I have let Dogs work up cover....Some you would have missed If Dogs were constantly WALKED UP ! to known EARTHS ..

which are not holding ,but if Dogs were loose,a new one Found not to far away....Somehow I always Believed ! Foxes Do ! dig New earths :blink:

Some Dogs ,once of a Leash and not at the Entrance of a earth ...F***k off ! think that is the Problem with some not allowed to "HUNT" :yes: no control from their Handlers..Lack of confidence in their charges,so cover up with Macho pish ! maybe wrong :whistling:

• Like 1

I've Located New earths by the Fact I have let Dogs work up cover....Some you would have missed If Dogs were constantly WALKED UP ! to known EARTHS ..

which are not holding ,but if Dogs were loose,a new one Found not to far away....Somehow I always Believed ! Foxes Do ! dig New earths :blink:

Some Dogs ,once of a Leash and not at the Entrance of a earth ...F***k off ! think that is the Problem with some not allowed to "HUNT" :yes: no control from their Handlers..Lack of confidence in their charges,so cover up with Macho pish ! maybe wrong :whistling:

I keep mine on a lead cause I dont want them going to ground somewhere i dont know of and i havent got a clue where the f**k they are and ill be looking for hours! :thumbs:

I keep mine on a lead cause I dont want them going to ground somewhere i dont know of and i havent got a clue where the f**k they are and ill be looking for hours! :thumbs:

I'm not talking giving them Free Range out of sight ...or on Ground that is An unknown connundrum....or either ground that would be unsuitable to have an EARTH dog running loose .never had to go looking for a Terrier always kept them in contact :thumbs:
  • Like 1

I also like to allow one terrier to work loose when checking earths ive also seen a good few digging terriers that are never allowed off the lead unless working try to f**k off every chance they get they go in one hole and as they come out of another the owners screaming quick grab it.I also dont believe that terriers allowed to bush rabbits are more likely to try and work rabbit to ground.

• Like 5

lol down south the old grab them quick always brings a smile to my face :laugh: we pick our dog thats to be worked at the pick up its then given a free run as we make our way towards the earths along with an old lurcher bitch that mate has she is a handy type does whats shes told and always there for a bolt but never trys to push into the dig etc now the number of times we ve got a dig from a unknown earth they have found on route to the earths we know may account for anything between 5 to 10 digs a year plus with the younger dogs it seems to help steady them up as they ve had a bit of time to run about empty etc before there asked to work the dog on chain to earth then back on chain away from earth is not for me but its everyman to his own most of our teriers are biddable running about in field in kennells etc but once they get near an occupied earth or a hot scent of fox then they go deaf but still i think they end up better dogs for that we extra bit of freedom :thumbs: .

• Like 3