wild boar

My intentions were not to start an argument. I'm genuinely interested.

I base my knowledge on few days out with the Spanish using Spanish Bulldogs. I'm far from an expert. They use the dogs to catch, fight and eventually pin down the boar. Once the energy levels arte enough someone would then run in with a small knife and pop it under the throat. Job done. I have seen the power of these animals and when they are throwing mastif like dogs around like rag dolls and putting wounds that would kill a dog unless stitched up there and then.

This is why I think we got our wires crossed. I thought this was the style of hunting we were talking about. But we are talking about flushing to gun, where the dog dosent actually engage n physical contact most of the time.

Again, no disrespect towards you intended.

If you have ever handled even domestic pigs you will know how powerful and awkward to deal with. Even our sows who weigh in at around 60kg have sent me flying when I have had to grapple them for treatment purposes, and i weigh in at not shy of 18 stone. So even a 10 stone plus mastif will go flying when its trying to grip a boar thats fighting to survive.

Yeah I know a bit about domestic pigs... ( Taken just now )

IMAG0341.jpg?t=1351852756

IMAG0342.jpg?t=1351852730

There's a boar in there at the moment with the 4 sows. Having the time of his life :tongue2:

And he's a pic for comedy value.

photo2-1.jpg?t=1351853233

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always get a chuckle when Poms start talking about pig hunting. I grew up with it and still go every now on the My son just walked back in from a weekend catching pigs here in aus we use just about an

Thats not fact, thats fiction mate, Ive lived in Oz for years before moving out to UK. I can safely say that many many dogs are single handed boar stoppers, and a heck of a lot of them will go for the

Beast:   My bully/cattle dogs  

Posted Images

Here in UK we have to follow the 'hunting with dogs act', which forbids catching all mammals expt rabbit/rats. Otherwise here there are no laws relating to boar, as they are a recent species. There are no seasons in place, but I always stick to a winter hunting season to give the boar freedom and security to raise young in peace.

• Like 1

good read lads anyone know what the current laws are regarding hunting boar with dogs in ireland, just incase i come across one on my travels.

As an old poacher once told me bulljack,do it but dont be caught,lol.

if you sliped on one of them lads it could take the dogs anywhere, can see it now in the middle of the main road big screamin pig and a load a terriers hangin on :whistling:

Always get a chuckle when Poms start talking about pig hunting. I grew up with it and still go every now on the My son just walked back in from a weekend catching pigs here in aus we use just about any type of dog or x . theres those that like there meat heads and some big dogs do well but usually knock up to quick. theres those that like smaller dogs like bully cattle dogs but they can be to slow in some areas. we use bully staghound types the same dogs I catch foxes with all season. One out on big pigs is for blokes with little dicks and need the dog to prove there manhood a pigs got 2 ears and a dog on each will have it held in no time and the dogs will be fit for the next one. an arse biter is handy for stoping the pig but no good for the meat trade not that it worries me. I huynt on foot and the sooner the pig is stopped the less I have to run thats why I hunt with fast dogs.

• Like 3

This is by far the best dog I have seen on pigs and he was a one out dog. He would find and catch when other dogs were found wanting. An amazing dog to hunt with and his son by an Arab bitch isn't a bad dog either

post-32-0-61129800-1352017646.jpg

The Arab bitch and son

post-32-0-33626200-1352017797.jpg