Theoben rifles the end!

I have just heard that Theoben rifles are Kaput. seems that some of the staff have bought about its demise. Guys have been saying that the new type gasrams they have been using have been failing very quickly (just a couple of weeks in some cases) one guy sent his month old back for repair, took two weeks. shot 30 pellets and failed again.others have had the same problems, complaints were made about a couple of the women office staff who had a take it or leave attitude and couldn't care if the customer was peed off. Another guy, a shop owner said he ordered two new rifles and it took 11 months to receive them. If these reports are factual, then its a great shame.

I have just heard that Theoben rifles are Kaput. seems that some of the staff have bought about its demise. Guys have been saying that the new type gasrams they have been using have been failing very quickly (just a couple of weeks in some cases) one guy sent his month old back for repair, took two weeks. shot 30 pellets and failed again.others have had the same problems, complaints were made about a couple of the women office staff who had a take it or leave attitude and couldn't care if the customer was peed off. Another guy, a shop owner said he ordered two new rifles and it took 11 months to receive them. If these reports are factual, then its a great shame.

New type?? dont think so mate, been no new type produced hearsay is a funny old thing

New type?? dont think so mate, been no new type produced hearsay is a funny old thing

When I repeated new type I was refering to the LATEST gas rams which are supposed to be made in China which explains (If true) the sudden unreliability by seal failure..

Nobody CAN buy it, because the name isn't up for sale. They have not gone bust, they have been closed - completely different thing. Martin Rutherford in the USA oens the name and closed th ecompany - but he still owns the name and that of Rapid Air Weapons. Theoben, if it resurfaces, will be from the USA under his ownership.

For the last 2 years every new gun sold here was machined in the US and assembled here. They made nothing at Theoben Cambs. Even the small items were made by local precision engineering companies for them. Framed out work.

Older rifles are absolutely fantastic and built like nothing else. But as Simon above syas, it was the end of an era when Ben sold it to Martin. That was when the build quality changed - although having said that, the USA blocks for the Rapid are fantastic (Chippy Smith made blocks). You will probably see the MFR etc resurface under the guise of RAW (Rapid Air Weapons). I also think the closure is a big tax dodge, Theoben has been used as a sink in which to sink losses, so avoiding paying tax, and taking big dividends tax free for the Director.

I know of shops that wont deal in, or sell Theoben's due to bad aftersales and slow repairs, I was on the market for a new Theoben, until I heard the horror strories, its a shame when its so easy to sort the problems out.

Ancient news and not all that accurate either. Yes, it may be that shops won't deal with them, but more likley because they demanded payment for rifles and dnd't extend dealer credit. You won't get a shop owner telling you - "I won't stock them because I can't afford to" now will you? So they make up a reason. There was one girl who was pretty undiplomatic on the phone, but that was soon dealt with. Diane took over that role herself and was very, very good.

I never had any problems with them and neither has anyone I know. I had plenty of very good service from them. I have 5 Theoben rifles and they are superb.

Edited by Acuspell
  • Like 1