Question, How many people run purebred running dogs?

I'm Having a debate with a purebred Afghan owner, I stated that most dogs used for performance (working) are crossbreds, and she disagreed. This started over a shelter/recsue posting a siberian/grey cross, and I suggested that is was propably a mushers dog, since they do such crosses. The dog is in Oregon, US.... I posted forums and web site where such crosses are posted about, The debate started when I said that most people who use their dogs for a particular job often use crossbreds, two show people disagreed... so I figured I would post this question here.......

if you where to put a % on the number, how many of these dogs are purebreds? vs crossbreds?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest reload

It depends on the job in hand surely. Security work? usually pure breds used? Search dogs, usually pure breds. Gundogs? Pure bred usually.

All breeds were bred for a job? Some jobs have changed and people have different needs so they have crossbred.

Edited by reload

She would like to know how many pure sighthounds are used, she quotes that most sighthounds in coursing are purebreds, I said that 75-85% who work running dogs use crossbreds......

here's the thread, please be polite if you decide to post, most are pet or show people, and this board although not anti hunting, it is discussed very gently.....

http://houndtalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=4695

*I* use purebred,registered,*SHOW-BRED* TERRIERS.

The Border pup I'm (probably) getting is too.

The whippet I used to hunt w/was also purebred,show-bred & reg.

We do just fine,thanks.

You don't have to have an ugly mutt to hunt/work.

OR...herd,guard,point,retrieve,etc.,etc.

what do you mean you dont have to have an ugly mutt to hunt / work you do talk shite women ..its proberly because your ugly most show folk are and that is a fact :D:D show dogs ffs what a bag off shit :D:D

We do just fine,thanks.

All my dogs are working wouldnt keep dogs if i didnt work them. And they aint ugly mutts, and id rather keep an ugly mutt that worked rather than just looking good or what it said on its papers.

I can't give percentages but I do think there is a difference between UK and US...in the US most organised coursing involves pure breds, they have a lot of breed stakes and maybe breed clubs are involved. In the UK there was ( :( ) a lot more organised coursing with lurchers next to the breed meets...

L.

i can answer part of your questions most good ole boys hunt coyotes and the odd jack rabbit , i know several people who hunt cross breeds over ther and a good freind of mines has one the desert classic in new mexico , lets say the pures wouldnt live with some dogs ive saw dog , , there would be a few thta would do well but over a season i know who would have more in the bag , ive been to pure hunts alrigth but no big deal , i must say there a few good coursers over there with pures mostly the galgos are good and some saluks the odd tazi as for borzio deerhounds and afghans and american whipps there not in the same league , the cross saluk cunnigham type rules the west for jack catching , a cunnigham isa type of greyhound but with alot more grit stamina and balls for toothed qaurry ,any way mt buddy over by has had pure saluks and greyhounds he prefers the crosses for catching game not just coursing it , this is not a one off ive saw it over several years hunting there , there are more that run in comps with pures but that doesnt meen shit , ive been to several , you run a good long dog cross and it would take a very good saluk to match him and beat him all the best to the dreamers with the fancy names with there dogs

i have two pure greyhounds and to crosses both all four work and i have to say that the ammount of injuries the two greys get far out way the crosses there skin tears so easily the staffy cross and collie cross (touch wood) have only had one accident each resulting in a trip to the vet the greys have been to the vet over and over cuts down to the bone flaps of skin hooked on fences etc etc if im going somewhere open the speed of the greys is needed if it wooded they are more likly to run head first in to a tree :D

Hey Autumn- as far as running dogs in Oz go not many have a pedigree to speak of!! Most are deer/grey/??

maybe a touch of bully. Very few people run pure deer or greyhound, - whippets seem the most common purebred around here and in England.

People seriously hunting their dogs use crossbreds, unless they are only doing lurecoursing and such. I have 3 running dogs- 1 stag X (wolfyx), 2 kangaroo dogs- bitch looks more greyhoundy, dog looks like grey x dane (he's not but thats what he looks like.) The only purebred I could imagine using for what I use my dogs for would be a deerhound.

We do just fine,thanks.

what do you mean you dont have to have an ugly mutt to hunt / work you do talk shite women ..its proberly because your ugly most show folk are and that is a fact :D:D show dogs ffs what a bag off shit :D:D

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Geeeee,that sounds like "sour grapes" to me. That & ignorance.

well i will put money on it that you have a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp and a ass like the number 59 bus :D:D:D and yes i can be ignorant now and again espeicaly to folks who talk crap ...all the best ans you have a nice day... :D
She would like to know how many pure sighthounds are used, she quotes that most sighthounds in coursing are purebreds, I said that 75-85% who work running dogs use crossbreds......

here's the thread, please be polite if you decide to post, most are pet or show people, and this board although not anti hunting, it is discussed very gently.....

http://houndtalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=4695

I'm guessing she's talking about organized open field coursing, where most of the organizations (NOFCA, NACA, etc.) here in the US don't allow mixed breed longdogs. There's at least one organization that does allow mixed breeds in open field coursing meets. The Saturday hunt is usually a breed hunt, typically saluki, and on Sunday is open to all breeds and mixed breeds. A lot of times the folks at these meets aren't hunters as I would classify them, most all of the serious hunters, coyotes & jacks, use mixed breed longdogs.

Paul

Hey Autumn- as far as running dogs in Oz go not many have a pedigree to speak of!! Most are deer/grey/??

maybe a touch of bully. Very few people run pure deer or greyhound, - whippets seem the most common purebred around here and in England.

People seriously hunting their dogs use crossbreds, unless they are only doing lurecoursing and such. I have 3 running dogs- 1 stag X (wolfyx), 2 kangaroo dogs- bitch looks more greyhoundy, dog looks like grey x dane (he's not but thats what he looks like.) The only purebred I could imagine using for what I use my dogs for would be a deerhound.

hi,hairybull does the ridgeback still get teamed up with the staghounds out there?.or has it fell out of favour.