Transporting my dog

i did`nt know they still did the tow bar boxes aint seen one for years -- always wondered how safe they are ? used tio have a 4x3 trailer converted to carry 8 terriers and a bit of kit ,,

Safe as in falling off? Or safe another way?

The other thing I can think of held on the towbar is bike holders, never heard of one of them falling off.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

John,   I have the same problem myself, I bought a new car in February (well new for me anyway).   Up to that I had a 14 year old fiesta which suited me and I didn't mind it getting dirty or smell

no hes not lol.

Gamerroster - 2 Specsaver's - 0  

John,

Could you partition the sheep trailer to leave a bit of room for the dog, woudl it be big enough to allow you room for the dog and sheep?

I suppose that would be grand when you are pulling the sheep trailer but doesn't solve your problem when you are just carrying the dog.

Any idea what would be a good price for a trailer. I was looking at one on done deal with three compartments for €300. It looks to be in good condition and sounds like not a bad price? What should I be looking out for when buying a second hand trailer, do they give trouble or what problems do you get with them?

Apologies for all the questions and thanks for all the assitance.

i did`nt know they still did the tow bar boxes aint seen one for years -- always wondered how safe they are ? used tio have a 4x3 trailer converted to carry 8 terriers and a bit of kit ,,

Safe as in falling off? Or safe another way?

The other thing I can think of held on the towbar is bike holders, never heard of one of them falling off.

yeah falling off ... saw em touted round the fairs years ago never seen one in action ,,,spose they must work otherwise they would`nt sell them ..

Sheep trailer tends to be full when we're moving them so I'd not be keen on cutting down space for them.

I was looking in the €200 - €400 price range. Am no expert on what to look for but they seem a simple enough affair to me. Would be looking for one in decent condition, good ventilation, LIGHTS (working preferably :rolleyes: ), safety chain, good hitch and tyres with a decent bit of thread and not unevenly worn. Wouldn't be keen on anything rusty, or wooden.

If it's decent and well enough made you'll always be able to sell it on again handy enough if you decide it doesn't suit you.

Can you not just tie it's lead to the towbar???

Tried that, but the computer went haywire dropping my MPG way down, and the smoke coming off his paws was obscuring my rear view so I thought it unsafe.

Are you that stupid??? you should always put doggy roller blades on them first!!!

Can you not build a box onto the A frame of the sheep trailer and just put the dog in the boot when your not towing the trailer . A friend used to put his collie in a jag xj6 boot :laugh:

Can you not build a box onto the A frame of the sheep trailer and just put the dog in the boot when your not towing the trailer . A friend used to put his collie in a jag xj6 boot :laugh:

I'm not keen on putting the dog into the boot because it's a saloon type car, not hatchback or estate, with the rear seats not folding forward the dog wouldn't have any ventilation. I

(I don't really need to leave this line here, I'm only doing it because I can!)

don't know what the situation is regarding exhaust fumes or other issues like that. I also don't want him ruining the boot when there's an alternative method of transport available.

I've grown quite fond of him so I'd prefer not to shoot, drag, or gas him to death :laugh:

A towbar mountable dog box which I can adapt to mount on the front of the sheep trailer is ticking all the right boxes at the moment :yes: