which 223 to buy

Hi, to any of you who may or may not have read my other posts, you will know that I'm like a child in a toy shop at Christmas.

The FEO has visited once, and he's coming back on Tuesday to pick up the paper work for the co-terminous, and then I hope I will have my FAC in the post.

I put down for a 17hmr and 223

I have another post asking about which 17hmr etc, so here in this post I'm asking which 223.

I have put it down for fox and rabbit - I know the ammo will be expensive for rabbiting, but IF I reload then I may be tempted to just plink a few.

I have held and shot a friends Browning synthetic, It didn't feel very comfortable to look through his scope, is this because obviously all of our bodies are built differently etc and that his scope was just placed in the wrong position for me, or should it be really a quite universal fit from rifle to rifle????

The scope he had was a S&B, and the image was fantastic (as expected). I'm not sure which magnification, but it was fixed, not variable.

I really liked the feel of the rifle in my hands, just looking through the scope wasn't so natural.

I have read that it's not advisable to buy a second hand 223, is this true, even from a good dealer who advertises on guntrader? I know that ultimately my decision will be made from going and 'feeling' the gun.

Just wanted some opinions on long vs short barrels/ stainless or not/ wood or synthetic?

Many thanks

I've never heard anything bad about Howas, which are rebadged Weatherbys, or vice-versa. Illuminated reticle is one that actually lights up the crosshairs, usually red or green, and they are still black with it switched off.

I don't know what the scopes you are talking about are called. Possibly the night-eaters that work in lowish light?. I don't think that will have a problem with recoil. It's the mounts that make the difference. If they are selling it as a package, I would imagine it is all suited to each other. I'm tempted by one myself as I still have a .223 and a .308 slot to fill once the funds allow.

Nothing wrong with a secondhand 223. What is wrong, is a dodgy dealer or a dodgy private seller of which there are any number selling you crap at a high price. So the important thing is to find a good dealer or good private seller.

The old buyer beware thing;

Anyway. I have experience of the 223 in CZ and Tika T3 lite. Both are good. I have the Tika myself now as I prefered the syntethic stock. Plenty of other good makes but either of those will out shoot you and tend to be very well priced.

ref the gun, it has a floor plate rather than a magazine. have a look and see if you are ok with it. Also check the trigger pull. It is very hard to dryfire a see if the trigger pull is suitable for you. Ask how difficult it it to adjust the trigger pull. Or How much to adjust. One shop I know did it for free. Tikas are very easy to adjust. I am very finiky, I shoot 1.9 lb pull. but that is me. others are happy with 3.5 lb. It is personal preference.

Scope. Buy once, buy right. What are you going to use it for? Are you looking to use it with Munties and do you need low light capabilities or will you be using it with a lamp? It can make a difference. Buy the best scope you can afford. The clarity between a good scope and a low end scope is amazing. All my scopes are second hand cos I didn't like the new price. For nv I use a leupold, for deer I use a meopta.

More to think about. I didn't look but is it threaded? If not you need to consider silencers.

Thanks for the advice, loads to think about, I noticed there was no magazine, not sure if it bothers me or not. It will be for foxes, so it doesn't have to have a magazine.IMO

I have looked at silencers, but that will follow later when I have the funds.

Thanks

Thanks, so what is the name for the scopes that take up some of the light from the lamp?

Thanks for Howa advice, price seemed good on that one. Is that scope any good though, or will it get knocked off-zero with the recoil?

As said before, I am a huge Howa fan and shoot a weatherby vanguard in .243, however they are a very heavy rifle with mod,scope and mounts on,you would do far far worse than a CZ honestly they are superb value rifles.

after alot of looking at various different rifles sako howa tikka remington cz my two favourite cz and tikka, for the money the tikka wins hands down for quality feel weight texture finish sako over priced but im a cheapo so i got a how wish i had the patients to wait and save for a tikka :(