How many crosses is to many

Not sayin it's good or bad thing but just woundering what u guys thought ,how many breeds in one dog is enough , personally myself I like no more than 3 crosses like eg bull whippet grey or beddy whippet grey but latly Iv been seein pups advertised deerhound x grey x bull x saluki x grey sire and dame is collie x grey x wheaton x bull x grey , I know they are caled lurchers for the mixed breeding but how do you know what it's going to throw . A few youngsters up by me had 4 dogs out of the same litter that was bred something like I stated and they have just turned a 12 month and that's what made me think of it because lookin at the four litter brothers u would swear they are 4 different crosses and world apart but like I said everyone to their own but just woundering what you guys thought

• Like 1

id say they could all throw to a different side of the breeding-some could be bull deerhound ,or some could be saluki wheaten etc.with less breeds involved theres less directions the genetics of the pups could take

That's my exact thoughts I like a dog that you ruffly you know how it's going to throw because IMO if your buying a dog then surly you know what you want to run and it could throw the wrong way and the dog will be no good to you

I think it depends on the man behind the dog... Some folk favour certain crosses because it suits the land and quarry they run

Others couldnt give a fig about whats in the dog as long as it fills the pot

Only thing that would matter to me is the percentage of

sighthound in the mix and that it does a job other than just conie

And the height would be something else id need to consider

i dont care how many breeds are in a dog

if you use similar type dogs you will get similar type pups ....

lurcher x lurcher bred by people that know what there doing will roughly know what the pups are going to turn out like

• Like 1

The problem of very uneven litters occurs when you have, say four very different types of breeds in a lurcher. Say you have Bull, Whippet, Beddy and Grey: as you suggested: you could end up with 4 pups all throwing to those different breeds.

Myself, I prefer lurcher to lurcher from a long line of lurchers: they may contain more than a dozen different breeds, but they've been bred like that for so many generations that they even out into what we think of as a traditional sort of lurcher: the old fashioned sort, rough coated, medium build. Not only does the shape, size and type even out, but the temperament and ability, if correctly bred from decent dogs and not just any old rough coated mongrelly cur, comes down through the generations and gives you something useful in the field that needs a minimum of training and entering. They inherit the right instincts just the same as they inherit the physical appearance.

I couldn't tell you exactly what's in my rough coated line: Anne Powers from near Birmingham bought her first small rough coated lurcher in during the 60s. She didn't know the make up of that bitch, but she produced a line that descended from her, and they were all classic rough coated lurchers. She didn't care what she used in her breeding lines as long as it looked right and worked right. There was a fair bit of Deerhound in there at one time, but also God knows how many other breeds.

I could guarantee that all the pups would retrieve naturally, be biddable, work well with ferrets, and although they weren't out and out hare dogs, they could give a good enough showing in the field.

Just seen Chid has said more or less what I've put without all the waffle :tongue2::icon_redface::laugh:

• Like 2

if theres lots of breeds in the dog ......its whatever the popular cross of the day is isnt it?? .my pups sire was saluki x bull x whip x collie x grey the mother i cant even remember. how can anyone say/see whats in a lurcher? especially rough coated dogs, it baffles me a lot of the time. my bitch is in my avatar, what would people say they can see in her? :thumbs:

The problem of very uneven litters occurs when you have, say four very different types of breeds in a lurcher. Say you have Bull, Whippet, Beddy and Grey: as you suggested: you could end up with 4 pups all throwing to those different breeds.

Myself, I prefer lurcher to lurcher from a long line of lurchers: they may contain more than a dozen different breeds, but they've been bred like that for so many generations that they even out into what we think of as a traditional sort of lurcher: the old fashioned sort, rough coated, medium build. Not only does the shape, size and type even out, but the temperament and ability, if correctly bred from decent dogs and not just any old rough coated mongrelly cur, comes down through the generations and gives you something useful in the field that needs a minimum of training and entering. They inherit the right instincts just the same as they inherit the physical appearance.

I couldn't tell you exactly what's in my rough coated line: Anne Powers from near Birmingham bought her first small rough coated lurcher in during the 60s. She didn't know the make up of that bitch, but she produced a line that descended from her, and they were all classic rough coated lurchers. She didn't care what she used in her breeding lines as long as it looked right and worked right. There was a fair bit of Deerhound in there at one time, but also God knows how many other breeds.

I could guarantee that all the pups would retrieve naturally, be biddable, work well with ferrets, and although they weren't out and out hare dogs, they could give a good enough showing in the field.

Just seen Chid has said more or less what I've put without all the waffle :tongue2::icon_redface::laugh:

How is it possible to guarantee that just because they are bred off that person and lurcher to lurcher that they WILL retrieve work well be good with ferrets and biddable ? No dog is bred with that that is down to the person who put the energy and time in , one thing Iv lernt about dogs the years Iv had them is every one is different in each way just because its bred the wright way it doesn't mean it comes born with abilities it means u got a better chance of bringing the dog on the right way

i can see were sky cats coming from iff u breed from 2 excellent retreivers chances are in good hands they will be excellent retreivers in wrong hands could be the worst in the world

thats all down to the owner but more off a chance the dog will retreive if that is whats bred into the dog to do for generations

its like breeding 2 pedigree show dogs u dnt breed 2 off the uglyest dogs to get the best looking you breed from the dogs with best looks to get an even better looker ?

its same concept isi not ?

correct me if i am wrong ?

I should have said that Anne would never have sold a pup to the 'wrong' hands: she was very careful about who had her pups, and many people stuck with her line generation after generation.

I did virtually no retrieve training with a couple of pups from that line but each and every dog from that line have all retrieved and continued to retrieve throughout their lives. It's hard to explain what a proper old fashioned lurcher can do naturally, through inherited instinct, but they do it: hunt, catch and carry, with virtually no input from the owner. You'd have to be a really nasty sod to destroy such a strong instinct in a dog like that. This line may not be wonder dogs or the best in the world, but they are great mooching, ferreting, lamping companions. But each mating was carefully considered to maintain those instincts and abilities.

• Like 2

I should have said that Anne would never have sold a pup to the 'wrong' hands: she was very careful about who had her pups, and many people stuck with her line generation after generation.

I did virtually no retrieve training with a couple of pups from that line but each and every dog from that line have all retrieved and continued to retrieve throughout their lives. It's hard to explain what a proper old fashioned lurcher can do naturally, through inherited instinct, but they do it: hunt, catch and carry, with virtually no input from the owner. You'd have to be a really nasty sod to destroy such a strong instinct in a dog like that. This line may not be wonder dogs or the best in the world, but they are great mooching, ferreting, lamping companions. But each mating was carefully considered to maintain those instincts and abilities.

I'm not havin a dig I just don't see it every great dog that's been bred has thrown shit out somewhere wether it's down to the owner or dog it's turned out to be crap and I'm findin it hard to believe all the pups have been all that with the words u said vertualy no input from the owner so if u put that dog in a kennel till it was 16 month and just took it for a walk it would naturally go catch and retrieve when all dog folk I know put time apon time in to get their dogs to retrieve but like u said she was particular who she sold them to an clearly she sold them to decent folk who put time in and taught the dog to retrieve so I think it's the owners to credit just as much as the dogs but I don't believe they all did that by instinct , yes dogs have basic instincts an their number one is to be a pact not retrieve but that's just my opinion , I know what u mean about old fashion lurchers I grew up around them and Iv seen how dogs have changed but not knocking the lurcher to lurcher x they are good dogs but a collie cross , beddy x and most other crosses will do just the same as them with time put in because if they didn't no one would work them

mine retrieves once every 10 rabbits, i didnt do a lot of retrieving work when she was a pup so my fault. if she catches she will leave it and come back but wont retrieve. yesterday we got some ferreting and the first one hit the net i killed it and laid it down. after a couple of hole hoppers she stole my rabbit and went into the field with it. i called her back and she came leaving the rabbit.... i sent her back for it and straight away she went, picked it up and brought it back to my hand. im really struggling to to harness this because if i ask her to bring her catch to me she wont, if im stern she leaves it and comes trotting back. however if she steals what is mine (dead rabbit) and i demand it, she will bring it back. any advice for this situation? anyone? i was thinking the more i show her she will automatically want the next one so will give up the first one willingly..... i still think she will retrieve one day. can anyone advise on what i should try, bearing in mind i have limited permissions and she knows each rabbit by first name, it becomes harder every time as a catch becomes harder as they wisen up :thumbs: cheers