Ok so I've got a whip x sal/whip/grey pup 10 week old!

I'm wanting her to be a good alrounder! Day and night ! So when I've walked her at night I've had a big torch and just getting her recalling and sitting and being patient as well as in the day!

She is 10 weeks old and it's for 5 mins that's all just wanted to get her happy to be out in the dark and listening to me as much as she does in the day!

How many of you do this good or bad?

you seem keen. i just got my dog with a good recall in the day.

then when they are ready to catch i take them lamping. they soon learn the game. they know when they get back the light goes on again and it's time for a bit of fun again.

i all ways do a lot more in the night in the early months.and only put a collar on for the night time too. i try to keep all the commands to a whisper ( don't worry they can hear you) as long as there not in the next field .

it wont hurt taking them out for a walk in the dark it's all experience. but like i said try to let the dog know that it's different

i'm a fan of retrieving dummies with a torch in the dark it teaches pups lots, torch on fetch......torch off here......i think it imprints good habits early and at least for early training you can pick a place where there are no distractions like scents, game or other dogs

i think sometimes people overcomplicate things, there is no rel difference between a dog hunting up at night or in the day, it all boils down to one thing, the recall. if a dog is trained properly to recall it will do it day, or night. even if a dog is used for daytime mooching it shouldnt make a difference it should still come when it is called, day or night

• Like 1

not sure where this need for recall at night came about on here but i cant think of anything worse than haven't to call a dog in after a course, dogs who chase round the field on there own after rabbits are just badly entered with no real understanding between dog and owner,

a young dog started on its own taken out nice and calmly will come back after ever chase, a thing that can be worked on from the puppy stage is stopping while out walking no commands, stopping and letting the pup figure out that coming back lets the walk continue, when he walks too far ahead stop and in time the pup will understand that to go on it must come back to its owner,

i dont follow a young dog while out walking off lead,if he goes one way i go the other, that way you are causing him to always keep an eye on you and eventually figures out that its a waste of time going too far away because he only has to come back again

dont get hung up on the recall, it can become a fear in the owner just waiting for the dog to refuse to come back, play with the pup and use the recall or sound to instigate play, that way the recall is always seen as a positive, making a dog come back just for the sake of it is sending out a very dangerous message to the dog,

try to make sure there is something in it for the dog, dogs way up the energy breakdown in instruction, its instinctual, its the same as canines in the wild too much energy out can tip the balance between life and death to them, i know its not that serious with running dogs but they work off roughly the same formula, its the same as a rabbit been too close to the hedge for collie lurchers to bother with, they quickly do the maths,

best of luck