Best terrier for bushing

Not sure if this is in the right section or not a friend is thinking about getting a little terrier for bushing and ratting! Been offered a few different pups from plumber pups ( I know they are not what they used to be but it's from working stock and for bushing and ratting) a nuttal bred pup aswell as a few other random terrier pups! We don't want something that's guna go to ground all the time just something that will push rabbits to ground for ferrets and flush to the lurchers!

Cheers

Personaly i like something that gives tounge and i wont loose it to ground, seen plenty of beagel russels work dont think i'd wont anything else for bushing. Saying that theres plenty other types and x's will do it if your lucky hard to get a good busher.

just get a pup bread out of two good bushing parents.dont just buy any old terrier and expect it to bush,not all terriers take to it,and some only do a half ass job,but if u get a pup out of two dogs that are good at there job it will help.try and get a pup with a bit of beagle and spaniel in it aswell.

Bushing and hunting up is mainly what i do now. I use jack russell terriers, should imagine all terriers will do it, but i dont like or need anything too hardcore so i just go for your average old fashioned jack russell.....not even from working stock and they do the job just fine..i like a yapper in cover to let the lurchers know if anything is about to happen. My old border collie bitch was ace in cover, but was silent.....the lurchers still picked up on when something was going to bolt though.

One of the jrt will go down a rabbit hole every now and again, but only for a few seconds, the other has never bothered. If in doubt maybe a cocker or small english springer spaniel.

One will do the job just as good as another....sorry mate i disagree with that theres different levels you get the odd one that will shine more than the rest.

Plenty can get a dog to shine,no matter the type[dog that is],ive owned Russels,Lakey,s,fells,any amount of Heinx 57,s,all have made accomplished bushing terriers,any sort of terrier,if given the time and opportunity will excel at the job.I personally prefer Beddy,s because,to me,they have the edge on agility and speed.Ive seen to many good uns of type unknown to disregard any terrier for ratching about.

Cheers guys a beagle x sounds Ideal! Is there many litters about? Or are they just bred when people. Need them for themselves

Get a Plummer, they already have Beagle in thier make up, hell of a nose on them, mines the best busher and ratter iv had and ive had beddy,s and beddy cross,s, but any terrier you get will only shine if you put the effort in, i,d rather have a terrier than a beagle or spanial cross if i intended doing alot of ratting, but for bushing only i,d go for a spanial X terrier, buster.

One will do the job just as good as another....sorry mate i disagree with that theres different levels you get the odd one that will shine more than the rest.

Plenty can get a dog to shine,no matter the type[dog that is],ive owned Russels,Lakey,s,fells,any amount of Heinx 57,s,all have made accomplished bushing terriers,any sort of terrier,if given the time and opportunity will excel at the job.I personally prefer Beddy,s because,to me,they have the edge on agility and speed.Ive seen to many good uns of type unknown to disregard any terrier for ratching about.

any terrier given time will excel at the job,maybe to your standards pal,

thats like saying given any old lurcher time and the will excell at lamping,not realy.

theres diffrent levels with all dogs fact

you get averge dogs, good dogs,outstanding dogs.

no matter what type of hunting wheather it be bushing lamping, ground work, coursing, some dogs are just better than others and to say there not is just stupid.

Edited by mighty celt
  • 8 years later...
On 06/10/2012 at 16:42, Rogue and running dog said:

Not sure if this is in the right section or not a friend is thinking about getting a little terrier for bushing and ratting! Been offered a few different pups from plumber pups ( I know they are not what they used to be but it's from working stock and for bushing and ratting) a nuttal bred pup aswell as a few other random terrier pups! We don't want something that's guna go to ground all the time just something that will push rabbits to ground for ferrets and flush to the lurchers!

Cheers

I have border terrier cross jack Russell and border terrier cross jack Russell cross italian greyhound and they will get through anything and dont work to fast or to slow just right and have a good cry so u know where they are if u find a good working stock litter of them with good bloodlines get a nice pup that u think is right, my border x jack Russell has a great nose to but runs on nose a lot he doesnt like using his eyes to much compared to most terriers but he has great eyes.