Deerhound lurchers not slow to mature.

Guest bezza

Not that I'd ever undertake in such things but i would think there's a lot of failed track dogs that would be more keen to try tackle a fallow than the half crosses Iv seen!

How can that be!?

Perhaps the 3 quater is less cautious but Iv found the 1/2 cross a bit to clever and crafty for its own good , regarding speed the 1st cross iv seen are so fast that the greyhound being put to them would make them to fast and over turn.?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is where people make the biggest mistakes with a pup,especially Deerhound types,it kills a couple of easy rabbits and so it will soon be ready to test more fully,then reality kicks in and a pup t

you harvest too early, you end up with a poor crop. Let the dog mature, let his bones set, there will be plenty of time for him.

Each to their own, but my boy didn't stop growing till at least 18 months old. So at 8 months id say take it easy.........

Not that I'd ever undertake in such things but i would think there's a lot of failed track dogs that would be more keen to try tackle a fallow than the half crosses Iv seen!

How can that be!?

Perhaps the 3 quater is less cautious but Iv found the 1/2 cross a bit to clever and crafty for its own good , regarding speed the 1st cross iv seen are so fast that the greyhound being put to them would make them to fast and over turn.?

To be honest some of the 1/2 cross look like they are pretty heavy. he has suprised me on the rabbits and for his size and i would say his catch rate is comparable to most reasonable smaller lurchers. I dont know about other being cautious but mine is a walking vets bill. I cant see him making it to a ripe old age

My friend has a deer/grey pup only eight months old. It caught three rabbits on cut barley this morning. It has to be restrained big time when it sees cats or anything that moves.This one is definitely an early developer.

This is where people make the biggest mistakes with a pup,especially Deerhound types,it kills a couple of easy rabbits and so it will soon be ready to test more fully,then reality kicks in and a pup that would have been better left until it was both physically and mentally prepared,as been overfaced,overmatched and if not ruined will take longer to reach its potential.

At what age do you say I don't think this dog is what I want or up to its job 2, 3,4 year old?

Lets be honest there's better dogs on rabbits and hares even though deerhound lurchers aren't the worse at hare coursing.

Iv seen a big strong 28 inch 3 year old bitchs course and course fox when the course could have been long ended for fear of being bit, yes they ship punishment that way but they miss a lot of game over a season running in such a carefull manor.

There's some well meaning genuine people trying to keep this cross going but I wonder how many are tested in the field fully compared to other crosses and are a lot kept more as pets shower and races rather than earning there place as workers.

If a car sales men said you have to run this car in at 30 mph for the first 80,000 miles it's life expectancy is 110,000 and I can't guarantee the engine will be any good when you finally open it up once it's a middle age vehicle!

I think you'd look at another brand of car?

I have a limited experience of the x having owned 2 myself I like them as a dog there gentle and no bother to kennel at all but I invested a lot of time (2 years) money effort and food only to find they couldn't step up from rabbits, I even had a 3 year old Platts bitch up and going on more testing quarrie throw the towel in on her second run still as fresh as a daisy.

I'm afraid the excuses have to run out at some time, but dogs aren't science experiments and there are a lot of variables so I'm sure some are fair dogs in a field.

In no way do I want to put any one off buying a deerhound cross but these are questions and observations from my own experience with the x. A.t.b with your choice of dogs.

Genuine working Deerhounds are very,very thin on the ground,thus a baseline for Deerhound x lurchers,that have a proven working background is limited.Thats why i prefer the addition of Collie blood in the mix,it seems to eradicate certain limitations ive encountered with Deerhound/Greys of whatever %.Id advise anybody wanting to own a Deerhound type lurcher to pick a pup from proven lurcher to lurcher breeding of this type.Id expect any dog to make the grade by the end of its second full season,if it did,nt id be happy to work it to what its best suited at and make sure it never entered the breeding chain.
  • Like 1

My friend has a deer/grey pup only eight months old. It caught three rabbits on cut barley this morning. It has to be restrained big time when it sees cats or anything that moves.This one is definitely an early developer.

This is where people make the biggest mistakes with a pup,especially Deerhound types,it kills a couple of easy rabbits and so it will soon be ready to test more fully,then reality kicks in and a pup that would have been better left until it was both physically and mentally prepared,as been overfaced,overmatched and if not ruined will take longer to reach its potential.

At what age do you say I don't think this dog is what I want or up to its job 2, 3,4 year old?

Lets be honest there's better dogs on rabbits and hares even though deerhound lurchers aren't the worse at hare coursing.

Iv seen a big strong 28 inch 3 year old bitchs course and course fox when the course could have been long ended for fear of being bit, yes they ship punishment that way but they miss a lot of game over a season running in such a carefull manor.

There's some well meaning genuine people trying to keep this cross going but I wonder how many are tested in the field fully compared to other crosses and are a lot kept more as pets shower and races rather than earning there place as workers.

If a car sales men said you have to run this car in at 30 mph for the first 80,000 miles it's life expectancy is 110,000 and I can't guarantee the engine will be any good when you finally open it up once it's a middle age vehicle!

I have a limited experience of the x having owned 2 myself I like them as a dog there gentle and no bother to kennel at all but I invested a lot of time (2 years) money effort and food only to find they couldn't step up from rabbits, I even had a 3 year old Platts bitch up and going on more testing quarrie throw the towel in on her second run still as fresh as a daisy.

I'm afraid the excuses have to run out at some time, but dogs aren't science experiments and there are a lot of variables so I'm sure some are fair dogs in a field.

In no way do I want to put any one off buying a deerhound cross but these are questions and observations from my own experience with the x. A.t.b with your choice of dogs.

Genuine working Deerhounds are very,very thin on the ground,thus a baseline for Deerhound x lurchers,that have a proven working background is limited.Thats why i prefer the addition of Collie blood in the mix,it seems to eradicate certain limitations ive encountered with Deerhound/Greys of whatever %.Id advise anybody wanting to own a Deerhound type lurcher to pick a pup from proven lurcher to lurcher breeding of this type.Id expect any dog to make the grade by the end of its second full season,if it did,nt id be happy to work it to what its best suited at and make sure it never entered the breeding chain.

I thnk thats the thing mate about people that breed them. they either seem totally profit orientated or are daft middle age women that just like to own a fluffy lurcher. If some set about working uniquly dh crosses and were sensible about how they were bred I am fairly sure after a couple of generations you could get a very good standard of mutt

The point about the middle age daft women is correct, look round any show ring in the summer, there she/he is 8 hairy dogs in toe never sniffed a rabbit let a lone a deer! But there pups sell like hot cakes.

it's an image thing of having a deerhound Lurcher that is causing mediocre stock.

They are such good sellers, they are nearly always show stoppers, but looks don't run but when it comes to drawing a few quid for a dog with out a trial, looks do sell.

• Like 4

I take your point morton but apart from yourself how many other guys run a line of collie/Deer/Gry in the country, that are tested really hard?

There seems to be the market for them once again,not always a good thing.as soon as a type regains popularity ££££,and egos quickly follow.The North East seems to be the hotbed of this type,maybe the terrain better lends itself to this cross.Ive seen a few on here that seem to fit the bill.

The point about the middle age daft women is correct, look round any show ring in the summer, there she/he is 8 hairy dogs in toe never sniffed a rabbit let a lone a deer! But there pups sell like hot cakes.

it's an image thing of having a deerhound Lurcher that is causing mediocre stock.

They are such good sellers, they are nearly always show stoppers, but looks don't run but when it comes to drawing a few quid for a dog with out a trial, looks do sell.

I homed a pup with a middle aged woman in the North East,she wanted a dog for the shows and to catch a few bunny,s.She seems to have won her fair share of Rosettes and shows in that area over the last 2 years,the dog keeps her in rabbit pie and she as now found a taste for venison casserole.Its surprising the ones who don,t fit a certain image,are not always what they seem.

What limitations do you find that adding collie blood eradicates?

Problem is full deerhounds mature very late - mine has just turned 4 and has started to slowley click,

shes now intrested in chaseing and has grabbed hold of the bun my lurcher caught the other week, previously she avoided chaseing anything other than other dogs

although she still dosent understand what it is shes doing, could be why working deerhounds are thin on the ground

as they are not given the chance to mature fully.