ICELAND IN JANUARY

OK so my mrs said she wanted to go some where diffrent for her 40th in january so ive booked a 4 day trip to iceland .. with a bit of luck we will get to see the aurora borealis ive also got a day planned on snow scooters has anybody else been this time of year and what would you recomend were staying in reykjavik theres around 5 hours of light a day so what did you do on them dark long nights apart from the obvious :icon_redface:

atb

kanny

• Like 2

Mate I would love to go to Iceland sounds like you'll have a great time.

If it was me I'd go and see the Mid Atlantic Ridge which the only place you can see where the two continents are spreading away from each other.

Also you've got the hot springs which you can go in and you can go on glacier tours.

Apparently Iceland has a brilliant night life as well.

Hope you have a good one

Jealous!!

I spent a few days in Reykjavik some years ago....... id only gone their to visit a graveyard believe it or not but always said id go back and never did beautiful place if your into scenery you,ll love it..............f****n expensive as well if i remember !.....They did some good bus tours where you see them hot spring water things shooting up in the air every 5 minutes.......seemed great at the time :blink: ...............lovely place though i hope you enjoy your trip :thumbs:

I went and it was a fantastic place. It is pretty expensive though. I would recomend a trip to a place called the Blue Lagoon, which is an open air, geothermal hot pool in a kind of swimming pool type setting. I imagine it would be fantastic to go when the suns setting and its also pretty near to Reykjavik. I went to a huge water fall (like the niagra falls) that was very impressive and the gysers were very impressive also. If you fancy a bus tour a place called skogard (or somethink simelar) and porsmork is very impressive if you fancy a little walk. I kind of think you might be limited by the amount of daylight for alot of things though. The night life was pretty good, but its only just turned into a none dry country and we found it fairly hard to get alcoholic beer in places other than pubs and resteraunts which was abit tough if your trying to get wrecked before you go out to cut down costs. I would deffinatly go back without a doubt. Hope you have a good time.

PS pack some warm kit cause itll be freezing!

Editied to say also a place called Llanmanlauger (or something like that) has a hot pool that you can swim in litteraly in the middle of no were. Its abit of a trek on the bus as its in the middle of the island and im not sure the busess will go at that time of year but if you get chance its worth a trip.

Also i would check availability of alot of things before you go because its like practicaly in the Arctic Circle and i imagine they will shut alot of things at that time of year.

Edited by Buch

well i checked the prices of stuff before i booked and it wasnt to bad around 4 quid for a pint and 20 notes for a evening meal so a tad more expensive than here but that was expected... ive been looking at the geothermal pools thats on my list there ment to be anti ageing so i might be celebrating the wifes 20th insted lol ... i can honestly say i dont fancy having ago at the fermented whale meat :bad: also on my list is to see some fire and ice from the volcanos :yes:

I went and it was a fantastic place. It is pretty expensive though. I would recomend a trip to a place called the Blue Lagoon, which is an open air, geothermal hot pool in a kind of swimming pool type setting. I imagine it would be fantastic to go when the suns setting and its also pretty near to Reykjavik. I went to a huge water fall (like the niagra falls) that was very impressive and the gysers were very impressive also. If you fancy a bus tour a place called skogard (or somethink simelar) and porsmork is very impressive if you fancy a little walk. I kind of think you might be limited by the amount of daylight for alot of things though. The night life was pretty good, but its only just turned into a none dry country and we found it fairly hard to get alcoholic beer in places other than pubs and resteraunts which was abit tough if your trying to get wrecked before you go out to cut down costs. I would deffinatly go back without a doubt. Hope you have a good time.

PS pack some warm kit cause itll be freezing!

Editied to say also a place called Llanmanlauger (or something like that) has a hot pool that you can swim in litteraly in the middle of no were. Its abit of a trek on the bus as its in the middle of the island and im not sure the busess will go at that time of year but if you get chance its worth a trip.

Also i would check availability of alot of things before you go because its like practicaly in the Arctic Circle and i imagine they will shut alot of things at that time of year.

thanks everyone for taking the time to reply some good info there butch cheers :thumbs: ...from what i can tell its much harder to travel north up the island this time of year so i think as you said its going to be a matter of seeing whats availalbe when we get there... will pack some vodka along with the warm kit also :victory: