Sign in to follow this  
crorider

Best ferret dogs

My whippet x greyhound does the job marks, catches bolters good round the holes and ferrets well pleased with him

27976AC0-7A54-4A27-B994-44200487238E-1063-0000026723B0A5F1.jpg

484D7716-9937-4E44-8436-1E30D6A2BF1F-706-000001DCAC982533.jpg

AF3A2820-E37C-454C-AA33-BC0A4BD8007A-706-000001DCBE710B19.jpg

nice dog :thumbs:

Took my little whippet/guinea pig out lamping with deerhoundlurcherman last night. Was only going to slip him on squatters but we couldnt get anywhere near any of them so we just had to slip him on whatever her saw. 4 slips, didnt see 1 and ran the wrong way, 1 made it to cover and he started yapping and the other 2 had the luckiest escape theyll ever get from a dog! He caught them but only pinned them for a second and let them get away when they struggled. It was a tiny bit disappointing tbh to see him do the hard bit but overall we were well impressed with him. He did everything i thought he would, quick off the mark, quick on the turn and didnt give up when the rabbit made the cover, he followed it straight in there. I must admit all the comments ive had on my threads on here did slowly make me start to doubt him but i shouldnt of worried so much. although its very early days as long as he learns to hold on better he'll make a much better bunny dog than anyone would think his breeding could produce. :D

I have to ask...how in the world do you guys break a dog to ferrets ? Especially one with a strong drive. My airedales would grab every one ,I just know it.

Edited by Aaron Proffitt

I have to ask...how in the world do you guys break a dog to ferrets ? Especially one with a strong drive. My airedales would grab every one ,I just know it.

I don't know that breed but pretty sure as long as you started them as pups they would come good

aaron skycat on this site has a pure airdale,, and two halfcross airdales,, the pure is from yank stock.........and i belive all hers are broken.... as with any dog,, early scosalisation is key

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

I mix my pups from the start never had any problems later in work

ATB Cookie

star when they're young easy really

stella042.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

and not just the dogs and ferrets

Image0058.jpg

• Like 5

Took my little whippet/guinea pig out lamping with deerhoundlurcherman last night. Was only going to slip him on squatters but we couldnt get anywhere near any of them so we just had to slip him on whatever her saw. 4 slips, didnt see 1 and ran the wrong way, 1 made it to cover and he started yapping and the other 2 had the luckiest escape theyll ever get from a dog! He caught them but only pinned them for a second and let them get away when they struggled. It was a tiny bit disappointing tbh to see him do the hard bit but overall we were well impressed with him. He did everything i thought he would, quick off the mark, quick on the turn and didnt give up when the rabbit made the cover, he followed it straight in there. I must admit all the comments ive had on my threads on here did slowly make me start to doubt him but i shouldnt of worried so much. although its very early days as long as he learns to hold on better he'll make a much better bunny dog than anyone would think his breeding could produce. :D

I reckon yer wee dog will grip them a bit harder next time :thumbs:

• Like 1

The more I think about it if I could have a dog just for ferreting I would go for a terrier admittedly they are not as versatile as a small lurcher but they will handle the thickest of cover better than any small lurcher simply because they have the build for it.

They will miss the odd bolter that gets by the nets but a good dog will simply put the rabbit to ground again. It will obviously be less likely too bolt second time around so you need too be prepared too dig but when it comes too efficiency and not missing much they are the way too go.

The more I think about it if I could have a dog just for ferreting I would go for a terrier admittedly they are not as versatile as a small lurcher but they will handle the thickest of cover better than any small lurcher simply because they have the build for it.

They will miss the odd bolter that gets by the nets but a good dog will simply put the rabbit to ground again. It will obviously be less likely too bolt second time around so you need too be prepared too dig but when it comes too efficiency and not missing much they are the way too go.

maybe whippet terrier isnt a bad way to go then?

I am sure your dog will do fine just don't give it any thing too challenging lamp wise too start with as said above sure it will hold on tighter next time.

Wish you all the best with it

• Like 1