.17 Hornet

Does anyone know if this seemingly elusive calibre has hit our shores yet? Are they available? Anyone got one, seen one, shot one?

I've been holding off my FAC application in the hope off putting this down as a good allrounder but am yet to see one for sale. Limited info available from my internet searches...

Any useful info appreciated. Thanks

Hi

I got a email from Edgar brothers this morning ref this cal it may be of interest to you

Be the first FAC to shoot the new Savage® Model 25

.17 Hornet rifle at one of our exclusive range day events. If you've been wondering whether to add .17 Hornet to your ticket, then now is the opportunity to see what all the fuss is about!

Riflecraft/Norfolk, Dauntsey Guns/Wiltshire, Calton Moor Ranges/Derbyshire and Low Mill Ranges/Cumbria will be hosting demonstrations of the .17 Hornet rifles from Savage® with Hornady® .17 Hornet ammunition, plus showcasing new products from other leading manufactures, including the new Kaspa® range of scopes from Weaver®, Firebird® Reactive Targets and the new

CZ 455 Evolution plus lots more!

Ballistic jelly demonstrations around 1.00pm each day 

BANG and you miss it!

Bring your invitation with you on the day. Simply fill in your details to to get the opportunity to WIN a Savage® Model 25 .17 Hornet rifle in our FREE PRIZE DRAW.

IMPORTANT: For the opportunity to test fire rifles you MUST have a valid firearms certificate and will be required your licence for registration on the day. We would request a nominal charitable donation for ammunition of £10 to the British Deer Society.

The Free Prize Draw is open to firearms certificate holders ONLY. Entries can only be submitted on the specified event days only. No cash prize or alternatives will be offered. Competition prizes are dispatched to your nearest RFD (Registered Firearms Dealer). To collect the prize the winner must hold a valid UK firearms certificate for a .17 Hornet centrefire rifle, have the appropriate UK field sports insurance and a space on his or her ticket for 200 rounds of .17 Hornet ammunition. Winners will be notified from the 8.10.12. 

Please select one of the range day's that you would like to register attendance for:

29.09.12 - Riflecraft, Stowlangtoft, IP31 3JU

30.09.12 - Dauntsey Guns, Hullavington, SN14 6BT

06.10.12 - Michael Dickinson, Swinscoe, DE6 2BU

07.10.12 - Low Mill Ranges,Cleator Moor, CA25 5RH

* Name:

* Address:

* Telephone:

* Email:

I confirm that I hold a valid Firearms Certificate and agree to Edgar Brothers’ competition terms and conditions.

Please uncheck this box if you do not want to be added to Edgar Brothers Shooting Sports mailing list. Refer to our Privacy Policy for further details.

* Compulsory fields:

Atb

Thanks for that TWOTWOTHREE - interesting as Low Mill Range is a gun shop/service I use. Obviously won't be entering the comp tho as I'm not a FAC holder yet.

tegater - I totally agree r.e development. From what I can gather everyone has their own preferences/opinions when it comes to the many calibres available. Just the other day I heard the .223 described as a 'chav rifle'! I chuckled at the description although I don't know why it was described that way. Others swear by the .223. I guess there is a dinosaur out there for most calibres!

A well respected friend and FAC holder tells me that the .17 Hornet is the closest I may get to an allrounder for vermin i.e corvids, coneys and charlie. Again, just an opinion but one I subscribe to for the time being, never the less.

In the mean time I'll just keep watching the Hornady .17 Hornet advert on youtube over and over again!

Thanks for that TWOTWOTHREE - interesting as Low Mill Range is a gun shop/service I use. Obviously won't be entering the comp tho as I'm not a FAC holder yet.

tegater - I totally agree r.e development. From what I can gather everyone has their own preferences/opinions when it comes to the many calibres available. Just the other day I heard the .223 described as a 'chav rifle'! I chuckled at the description although I don't know why it was described that way. Others swear by the .223. I guess there is a dinosaur out there for most calibres!

A well respected friend and FAC holder tells me that the .17 Hornet is the closest I may get to an allrounder for vermin i.e corvids, coneys and charlie. Again, just an opinion but one I subscribe to for the time being, never the less.

In the mean time I'll just keep watching the Hornady .17 Hornet advert on youtube over and over again!

The only thing for me is I am not keen on savage, but I dont think it will be long before the excellent barrels of CZ start turning them out. Then the .17 hornet will be one to look at for the accuracy alone.

Yes and then we can start an entirely new thread on .17 hornet cases splitting, to run alongside the hmr, apparently according to an aquaintance from over the pond, who happens to be a gunsmith ,around 20% of them are splitting, here we go again.

Did he say why the cases were splitting?

Wasn't the problem of the hmr cases splitting, put down to the fact that the necks have to be cold formed after the priming compound is inserted? If so then, the hornet being centrefire, should be able to have the neck formed normally.

Yes and then we can start an entirely new thread on .17 hornet cases splitting, to run alongside the hmr, apparently according to an aquaintance from over the pond, who happens to be a gunsmith ,around 20% of them are splitting, here we go again.

Wasn't the problem of the hmr cases splitting, put down to the fact that the necks have to be cold formed after the priming compound is inserted? If so then, the hornet being centrefire, should be able to have the neck formed normally.

Will speak to him again,apparently a Hornady problem ?????

i do believe the 17 hornet is made from a necked down 22 hornet the same as the 17hmr ius a necked down 22wmr so perhaps they have the same inherent problem :hmm:

Not that I'm thinking of getting one but It'll be interesting to find out. If it is a Hornady problem I doubt they'll be keen to admit it.

Not that I'm thinking of getting one but It'll be interesting to find out. If it is a Hornady problem I doubt they'll be keen to admit it.

i still recon this round has a place :whistling:http://huntandshoot.com.au/articles/hunting-technical-articles/cartridge-profile-300whisper/