locator collars and terriers

hi folks maybe this has been covered before but i was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on how the terrier has changed since the interduction of the locater collars. i have been hunting for almost 40 years and when i started the terriers we kept or tried to keep were bolting dogs we would have entered a terrier stood back and hoped for a bolt because if it dident bolt it was a long process digging and baring sounding and as any one that done this would know different types of soil gave different sounds some times you would not have heard the dog atall. but now i see the younger men enter there dogs and start to dig right away so i was just wondering has the locator collar caused the demise of the yapping russell and bolting terrier and replaced it with the dogs that hold the quary not giving an inch until you break through be it patterdale or whatever atb coverdogs

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Breaking through to a terrier without having switched on a fancy coloured beeping box is a good dig. Im(humble)o a skill that is probably getting quite rare.

i remember one dig very well we were on a farm one saturday afternoon about 4 o clock in september we were using my friends lakeland a show dog that dident make the grade but the best lakeland i have

Surely they wont have effected a bolting type dog as if it bolts then there's no use for the collar anyway.. How ever it will have changed the people who use terriers and how they go about things, I'd

Surely they wont have effected a bolting type dog as if it bolts then there's no use for the collar anyway.. How ever it will have changed the people who use terriers and how they go about things, I'd dare say if you had to dig to get your dog with out a collar most earths would look like a cluster bomb had hit it as I'd say most folk now wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Edited by alimac
  • Like 5

Had a few uncollored dogs go to ground, its not great to hear baying and spend an age walking and listening.upmost respect for the folk who had to do it

disagree. It is great to hear a dog baying, & if you cant find where to dig, i am sorry for the dog.

• Like 3

ive had to dig with no collers on a good few times, tab to ground with your jacket over your head to block the wind out easy when you know how :thumbs:

Easy!!!Are you for real?

Liam it's as easy as that just put your jacket over your head, job done, lol, reaconing there's some cluster bomb earths around them two, lol

• Like 1

I think digging is twice as fun without collars but it's safe to have a collar and locator with you anyway just in case.. I think it is a lot easier if there is a few people that know what their doing, if your on your own it takes longer.. Locators and collars ruin the fun of trying to find the dog.. I think maybe if you put the collar on the dog but didnt use the locator unless you couldnt find the dog without it would be a good idea? :yes:

ive had to dig with no collers on a good few times, tab to ground with your jacket over your head to block the wind out easy when you know how :thumbs:

Easy!!!Are you for real?

i admit if its mute then yes it is hard but if its a good sounder in a shallow,ish earth then yes it is fairly easy,