Tethered

obi2

A tethered hawk at fat weight moulting out will be scatter brained and doing a lot of bating about..which will do it's feather's no good and more than likely cause stress/fret mark's making the tail and flight feather's weak..i don't see the benifit of teathering all year around..the one's i have seen tethered through the moult do not seem to moult out fully..

Totaly agree with the above :thumbs:

I have a few teathered imprints sitting on bows and blocks, keeps them in contact and the bond going for what I want them for. they get out to weather and picked up all the time which also helps matters.

All my P/R birds end up free lofted throughout the moult, they moult out cleaner and quicker this way being kept stress free and on a good diet...

Horses for courses and depends on the bird I free loft and intermew to suit the birds attitude. Got one that when free lofted just smashed itself up when I tried try to get it out so its being molted on the block to keep the handling going as it seems to keep her settled. But that could just be the arsey behaviour of a peregrine prarie for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave my mine free loft through the molt but he started smashing his tail feathers on the avairy about a week ago so iv tethered him back on the bow and move him around the gardan during the day and back in the avairy on a night but still tethered. In season I will keep him tethered all the time so I can control his weight then I can hunt with him.

no got rid of that one as I couldnt knock the attacking people out of it. For all she was nuts attached people and mantled like crazy she never broke a feather in the 3 years I had her. This new pereprarie is a parent reared and had been kept in an avairy for 2 years so when it came out it broke its feathers by baiting in the box and so to try and maintain a level of calm its being molted on a block this year although its made the molt bloody slow all my other falcons are done now and ready to get going