best cross

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well ive got a beddy whippet x collie greythound not saying shes the best cross but shes doing well for size 20.5tts at 9 month just hoping she does good this season as its her first =) just got to ge

well as a rabbit dog day+ night , i dont think you will beat a colliex grey .Ive had 3 all been well quick on rabbits, my dog now Bryn is a 1x collie grey, and is very fast for a 1x , had big bags

I've got a Collie/grey x saluki/grey and when I first got her never expected her to be anything more than ok but she is proving quite a rabbit dog.   She is 24" tts, fast enough off the mark for gol

Posted Images

A purpose bred lurcher to lurcher rabbit dog

Best answer for me, well said jcm. :thumbs:

Alot pf people are breeding first cross litters, alot off unproven parents not all but alot.

Why?

There are hundreds of lurcher to lurcher bred litters about every year from purpose bred parents and with lurcher to lurcher bred dogs you will find that they have the petential to take other quarry also.

If your after a rabbit dog go veiw a few litters try and get to veiw the parents working if possoible, if you like what you see then a pup from that litter will be the one for you.

Atb jcm

Alot pf people are breeding first cross litters, alot off unproven parents not all but alot.

Why?

There are hundreds of lurcher to lurcher bred litters about every year from purpose bred parents and with lurcher to lurcher bred dogs you will find that they have the petential to take other quarry also.

If your after a rabbit dog go veiw a few litters try and get to veiw the parents working if possoible, if you like what you see then a pup from that litter will be the one for you.

Atb jcm

well to get any lurcher to lurcher proven type dog, you got to start with a 1x breeding to begin with your line,. simple as that :yes:

Why?

Atb jcm

well to get any lurcher to lurcher proven type dog, you got to start with a 1x breeding to begin with your line,. simple as that :yes:

im not argueing with that but there are more than enough litters about today from proven lurcher x lurcher imo

I've got a Collie/grey x saluki/grey and when I first got her never expected her to be anything more than ok but she is proving quite a rabbit dog.

She is 24" tts, fast enough off the mark for golf course bunnys, works the beam well, turns on a sixpence and strikes like she's been doing it all her life.

I've often knocked collie crosses saying they just detract from the speed of the dog, which in some cases they do, but I'm pretty sure that what they lack in speed they have in brain which I think is pretty important especially when lamping.

Just the other night I spotted a rabbit on the golf course, squatting down at the foot of a tree, at the edge of a wooded area, I put the beam on it and it didn't move, slipped the dog and she slowly trotted left out of the beam, behind the tree and positioned herself the otherside of the rabbit about 6 foot from it, the rabbit got up and she then ran it into the open, she stuck with it on acceleration up hill, overtook it and got to the long grass area before the rabbit did and ran along side it almost in a bid to keep it out of the cover, she pushed it back into the open and as it headed down hill back towards the wooded area she took it.

Just one example where brain can come in handy and put 1 in the bag.

Gaz

well as a rabbit dog day+ night , i dont think you will beat a colliex grey .Ive had 3 all been well quick on rabbits, my dog now Bryn is a 1x collie grey, and is very fast for a 1x , had big bags in the lamp, and prob my best rabbit dog ive had so far. With this x they are very clever, and will only do what (they) want, be it lots of runs or tackle certain quarry, where as other xs will just do it. But with colliexs good coat,feet,wind, brain, they are spot on in the winter for the rabbit job.

Bryn

great nose had a mark for every rabbit here :thumbs:

o134.jpg

brynagainfeb20th25rabbis.jpg

ray mate, he just keeps looking better and better.................i think i'm gonna start a 'bryn' fan club :boogy:

Im pretty sure any half cross F1 greyhound or whippet, in the right hands would make a rabbit catching dog. But for me, I prefer to know that the parents were the sort of workers I like, the F1 is a starting block (in their own right they can be super dogs, as shown with Birds BRYN) but then we should be taking the best of these, and puttin 'em together, each generation should be an aim to improve on - or hopefully retain - the working traits and temprement that makes a good dog. Just My Opinions

Im pretty sure any half cross F1 greyhound or whippet, in the right hands would make a rabbit catching dog. But for me, I prefer to know that the parents were the sort of workers I like, the F1 is a starting block (in their own right they can be super dogs, as shown with Birds BRYN) but then we should be taking the best of these, and puttin 'em together, each generation should be an aim to improve on - or hopefully retain - the working traits and temprement that makes a good dog. Just My Opinions

very true , :thumbs: like i said your 1x is your start of your line, put back to another 1x or what % you want (1/4,3/8 5/8,..... ) and then you should end up with good proven lurcher to lurcher dogs, and keep trying to improve on what you have . :yes: With any 1x you never really know how the pups will turn out from differnt breeds what ever the x, ( maybe) ive been lucky with Bryn, but he as done really well in 5 years getting big bags of rabbits where ever ive taken him, and never been laid up with injuries . If you can get good dogs to start with , you in with a fighting chance of getting good lurchers . :yes:

• Like 2
Guest born to run1083

I've got a Collie/grey x saluki/grey and when I first got her never expected her to be anything more than ok but she is proving quite a rabbit dog.

She is 24" tts, fast enough off the mark for golf course bunnys, works the beam well, turns on a sixpence and strikes like she's been doing it all her life.

I've often knocked collie crosses saying they just detract from the speed of the dog, which in some cases they do, but I'm pretty sure that what they lack in speed they have in brain which I think is pretty important especially when lamping.

Just the other night I spotted a rabbit on the golf course, squatting down at the foot of a tree, at the edge of a wooded area, I put the beam on it and it didn't move, slipped the dog and she slowly trotted left out of the beam, behind the tree and positioned herself the otherside of the rabbit about 6 foot from it, the rabbit got up and she then ran it into the open, she stuck with it on acceleration up hill, overtook it and got to the long grass area before the rabbit did and ran along side it almost in a bid to keep it out of the cover, she pushed it back into the open and as it headed down hill back towards the wooded area she took it.

Just one example where brain can come in handy and put 1 in the bag.

Gaz

well as a rabbit dog day+ night , i dont think you will beat a colliex grey .Ive had 3 all been well quick on rabbits, my dog now Bryn is a 1x collie grey, and is very fast for a 1x , had big bags in the lamp, and prob my best rabbit dog ive had so far. With this x they are very clever, and will only do what (they) want, be it lots of runs or tackle certain quarry, where as other xs will just do it. But with colliexs good coat,feet,wind, brain, they are spot on in the winter for the rabbit job.

Bryn

great nose had a mark for every rabbit here :thumbs:

o134.jpg

brynagainfeb20th25rabbis.jpg

cant argue with that i still prefer something straight their though and i dont think you get that with a collie/grey from what ive seen

Bryns a nice rabbit dog, and very fast off the Mark and right up and at them. As rabbits go his catch rate is very very high it's almost a cert when it's his slip it's in the bag.

Why?

Atb jcm

im not argueing with that but there are more than enough litters about today from proven lurcher x lurcher imo

There's never enough well bred dogs aslong as every dog is be bred with intention of bettering than each parent!!!