• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some photos from the various mincing days...                 Head and legs for the dogs....  

I used to weight it out, never do now, i just feed by eye, whatever the dogs do or don't need, but roughly 1/2 lb per terrier, 3/4 lb whippet and up to 2lb for the lurcher. I don't add anything for cr

Had disasters with bags could not seperate them. Snapped a freezer drawer f*****g about with them...   I dont mince me own dont have the space or time, Its a big operation on that type of scale Moll

Had disasters with bags could not seperate them. Snapped a freezer drawer f*****g about with them...

I dont mince me own dont have the space or time, Its a big operation on that type of scale Moll..

I down sized was running dog fridges and freezers Electric bills were through the roof, was also running heat lamp.. sacked them all off now battle with the mrs for freezer space she often gose for a magnum finds the freezer packed with mince lol..

If I had more free time and endless space I would like to adopt that sort of feeding approach.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

My elderly (14+) lurcher got to the stage where didn't do well on just raw, and I found through trail and error that cooked meat bulked out with things like brown rice or pearl barley and any veg that comes to hand. I make it in batches and freeze in tubs (good prices on ebay if you buy large multiples). Bit of a ballache to prepare and cooking the meat probably isn't necessary other than for elderly dogs, although I daresay it would be a good source of 'easy' energy post hard work or recovering from injury. Probably a bit monotonous too, but seeking out supplementary 'tasty treats' :bad: around the farm are one of the joys in life for an old dog.

If I have another dog, when this one is gone, I'd definitely try what Moll has described - good variety of nutrients into a convenient form - ideal alongside whole stuff to crunch up and chew on.

• 1 month later...

iv been getting the "dog food" from the local butchers from what i can gather he saves all scraps, i think he said hops aswell, and meat thats goin out of date ect and minces it into a plastic sausage like bag about a foot long and about the thickness of a coffee cup, they come frozen and have gone up from 30p to 50p, ill try and ask him more when im next in