Just Secured a Golf Course Permission

Had a call today from Colin, the Head Greenkeeper of my local golf course telling me they had a shooting vacancy to control the rabbit numbers!

I'd spoken with Colin several times over a period of a couple of years to try and get permission on this fantastic coastal golf course but to no avail :( My regular running route down a bridal path passes the rear of the course and there's always loads of rabbits darting around. Unfortunately it had always been regularly shot by the same group of guys and there has never been room for anyone else..that is until now!

I'm meeting Colin tomorrow lunch time to take a tour of the grounds and get to know the boundaries. I'll be issued with a permission slip and I'll give Colin a copy of my PLI.

Looking forward to some early morning sessions and best of all its 5 mins from my place :)

Will keep you posted

Cheers lads its a permission made in heaven by all accounts but I'll know more about any restrictions, if any, tomorrow.

If all goes to plan you'll see more posts, pictures and hopefully videos from me in the near future :) Will take some snaps of the permission asap

Cheers Mike.

Was driven around the course this afternoon by Colin who pointed out all the hot spots where they seemed to be having trouble. Colin explained the course was 100 acres and there are three areas in particular where the rabbits are scratting the bunkers and burrowing into the soft land. It was a georgeous day and the course looked idillic. We spotted in excess of 15 rabbits in the 30 mins I was there and that was at 12pm in the afternoon, all of which allowed us to approach within 15 yards or so.

After the tour I handed over my insurance documents and was informed that I would recieve an official permission slip within the next couple of days. Apparently there's another chap that shoots the course so we need to keep in touch with one another to conform our whereabouts if we're on the course together.

I gave both rifles a pull through when I got in from work this aft and think a zeroing session at the club is in on the cards for tonight and a 4am wake up tomorrow morning :)

Well, I was up at 4am and out the door for 4.30am this morning to head to the new permission. I saw 6 rabbits in total, 5 of which didn't allow me to get within 60m and the one that did I missed from a standing position at 30m (schoolboy error). The rabbits are definately a bit more twitchy first thing in a morning and seem to know the difference between a golfer and a shooter. Must admit, thought I'd see more but its early days yet and I'm still getting to know the hot spots and the lay of the land.

Took an opportunity to have a brew on the 5th tee at 5.30am and have a go with the panoramic setting on my Galaxy S2, here's the shot

20120728_054556.jpg

20120728_054450.jpg

Very enjoyable stroll which was cut short by the first golfer at 5.45am! Crazy. I got home for 6.15am and decided to make the most of the morning and have a little 6 mile run. As I'm writing this the misus is still fast asleep in the land of nod, don't think she even knows I've been out!

Will keep you posted

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1

nice place mate . pm me and we can sort a day out and i will show you the best spots times etc ....

golfers pain in the arse aint they ..

Hi Darren, just spotted your PM.

Yes mate we'll definately sort a shoot out. I think the best method is going to be a natural hide where we know the rabbits frequent.. the 13th looks perfect.

Very difficult to stalk up to the rabbits on the course, from what I've seen they tend to like the bunkers near the greens which are quite open for 100m+

Look forward to meeting up pal and getting to know the place a little better

Edited by Elliott