i know the majority off yas would prefare to get dogs from proven stock but do any of yas start your own lines up by cross breeding the different types and if so how did they produce? im a firm believer that the working terrier could start anytime but it would take a lota wasted time and effort to get them up and running. but surely if a terrier from non working stock starts working then it would be worth a try because surely the 1st terriers to ground came from non working stock.do any of ya think similar?

i think the famous lines are getting bred out and that it can be a bit of a gamble when you take peoples word for the breeding, thats why there will always be arguments on here. breed from dogs you dig too and i dont think you can go wrong. :victory:

• Like 3

have seen 1 or 2 pets make good working dogs when in the right hands-put they have never produced the goods so to speak when bred from-it depends on what you class as a good working dog-not saying its never happened but if everyone bred from the best in their kennels there wouldnt be half the shit thats about-these days theres alot of dishonest dogmen who are in it for the money and selling dreams to peoples.atb bobby

• Like 2

brought a dog from a chap at newark the dogs name was sid got be twenty odd year ago now he was a good reliable dog got told he was nuttal parks bred all i know he was one fine worker and the three i have in my kennel now are all related to him best buy i ever made and still reaping the rewards to this day its not about names and dogs you HEAR of its about dogs you work and SEE with your own eyes me and lads go out with just bred best to best and aint gone far wrong we know exactly what WORKERS theyve come out of and have worked them hard but names couldnt say what names were in them now just honest hard workers and that enough for us atb ks

• Like 5

brought a dog from a chap at newark the dogs name was sid got be twenty odd year ago now he was a good reliable dog got told he was nuttal parks bred all i know he was one fine worker and the three i have in my kennel now are all related to him best buy i ever made and still reaping the rewards to this day its not about names and dogs you HEAR of its about dogs you work and SEE with your own eyes me and lads go out with just bred best to best and aint gone far wrong we know exactly what WORKERS theyve come out of and have worked them hard but names couldnt say what names were in them now just honest hard workers and that enough for us atb ks

i like hearing other peoples views similar to my own is that not what the oul boys did yrs ago. best to best, but i would like to also hear if anybody gota good reliable line going outa non working dogs

It's a chicken and egg question.....there were no lines or family of dogs when i was starting, just famous dogs "one offs" but by breeding to that dog lines were created. IMO line breeding is the way forward .The big names in the game are only big because gossiping makes them big and the fact they are willing to prostitute there terriers to all comers.

• Like 3

the felas i hunt with i myself hav our own we thing goin now there is some names in the mix

but the original bitch was a stray house pet that followed a mate and worked

the bitch was never claimed so we used her alot and now in our 4th generation from her

we have used the dogs that we own and dont need to ask anyone for a service at min

atb artful

• Like 2

i like the borders and russells but i always believed that as long as it works thats all that should count and by work i mean digging too

your the same as me mate , i dont know why but a good russell are hard to come by , and really excitng to work with..........

• Like 1

It's a chicken and egg question.....there were no lines or family of dogs when i was starting, just famous dogs "one offs" but by breeding to that dog lines were created. IMO line breeding is the way forward .The big names in the game are only big because gossiping makes them big and the fact they are willing to prostitute there terriers to all comers.

You hit the nail on the head and still no one recongizes that this comment is the most pin point one made and the only way any of these breeds of workers will continue. Best to Best breeds good dogs. Formulating a plan of breeding in particular way and style prouduces greats but at the same time it brings the money hungry peddlers but if true terrier men keep them the breedings to themselves it flourishes to a more precise science of getting great dogs as the norm vs. luck.
  • Like 1

Gobshite, too true, you couldn't pay me to take a dog from or bitch too one of the so called big names kennels.. There puppy peddlers that seam to get away with pumping out endless shite from f**k knows were for f**k knows how much & get away with it because they have there own famous line,. don't make me laugh..

Breed from dogs and bitches you have dug too and know what there like, don't be a mug and take others "word" for there abilitys..

Edited by alimac
  • Like 2

good replies here, its nice to see that other people dont follow the crowd like myself , im not doubting any of the big names in terriers that the dogs are sh1te or anything just wondering how many had their own lines. and had anybody started from so called pet stock. when i was younger it was the jack russells from the street that we took up the fields and they just had the instinct to go to ground. the we things were dug too every week by us as young teenagers lol mid 90s

• Like 1

it stands to reason that your taking a chance with peddlars number one money rules there world so they ll just tell you what you want to hear and number two with the amount of pups some off them churn out the bitches cant have been well tested in the field and some of the dogs used are that busy covering every bitch they can get there hands on its a wonder they even have time to eat

• Like 1