Retrieving tips!

just start giving a little tug game with a her , before throwing dummy, she will start to bring in for the litle shake etc , wont do any harm , also change object regular boredom of the dummy can be a part and no eye contact . hope this helps fella atb bunnys.

• Like 3

Fook that live to hand shite.. :D ..do what bunnys has simply put and you won't go far wrong. :victory: .

Edtted to add also try turning your back on her /him and walk a few step's away..

Edited by Millet
  • Like 1

when my whippet and lurcher where pups I had the same problem and it was solved by walking backwards when they got near me on the retrieve and then sitting down - it had them coming straight back to hand properly.

• Like 1

I really cant seem to get my pup retriving only brings it back now any again and gets bored after 1 or 2 throws but ive been doing it every other day just a couple of throws so hopefully might with the real thing. But better a dog that catches and doesnt retrive than 1 that doesnt catch and retrives

hi lads to start of i sort of do things a bit backwords i get my pup on his lead tess him with the object when he puts his mouth round the said object give him the comand hold once he will take a object out the pam of your hand on comand i move on to the next step

keeping pup on lead at this stage throw object a short distance hopefully pup will go and retrive walk away from pup once pup come over to you make a big fuss of him at this stage dont take the object from him but walk him short distance just to let him know the game is not over alway given the comand hold then make a fuss of him again then the comand give and take object

if he drops the object just give the hold comand as he will of learnt this on step one dont try rushing once he has mastered this comand he is half way there

once all the above is complete try it of the lead only once you get the retrive give the dog back the object walk a short distance recall the dog and take the object again this is to let the dog no its not alway over once he retrives i do this when out lamping alot give the dog back the rabbit once he has retrived the take it befor next run or let him carrie back to car

works very well for me but most importan bond with your dog for no matter how much training you try give them if that dog does not trust you respect you and love you then its not gonna work all the best with your training

robert

• Like 1

Try running backwards and making excited noises and then stop abuptly, take a step towards the doga nd grab the dummy/toy, praise and reward.

What does the dog do fromt eh moment the toy/dummy leaves your hand? Chases - catches - then what? Does it pick it up immediately? Sniff it? Look around at the surroundings? are you doing this in the back garden, kennel, lounge or field? Do you have the dog on a long leash?

bitch is off leash, in the back garden chases picks up straight away bring its straight back to me no messin around and then drops it about 3 feet away and comes to me. dont want this to happen whiles lampin because shes very soft mouthed and if shes drops early the rabbit will just run!

What happens if you are closer to her? I don't mean that in a silly way as in "well just stand 3ft nearer then", I mean it in a maybe the distance to cover is too great for her, that is the first place to start.

Have you tried tug o war and letting her win a few and then inviting her to play again so she has to bring it to you for the game to start?

Let her win a few in a row and chase her around a bit all playful like, then turn your back on her and ignore her completely for a while, stand still, she'll proably wonder why you haven't joined in the game and will start to try and figure out how to get you to engage. Only when she is close to you do you engage play again - "The game is more fun when he has the toy in his hand and he only has it in his hand when I am near him" - that is the thought you are trying to put into her head (it is a bit different to that uin the dog's mind but it's how we see it) and soon it becomes an association of better times are had when the toy is shared.

When she starts playing tug of war again let go and turn your back. After a while the time it takes for her to come to you to engage you in play (a toy is very boring if there isn't anyone else to play with) will diminish and she will come over quicker. YOu can then start to turn your back and walk away but encourage her to follow. Then you can let her win keep facing her and she should offer you the toy if the process ahs sunk in. If not just go back to turning and letting her engage you to begin with - don't worry you are still controlling the game.