Whippets for bushing?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep.   Now i'm not saying a good cover working lurcher wont beat a pot licker.   But the best cover lurcher you can find vs the best spaniel i can find. . . . .   I'd definatly whack some money

To what extent or you wanting them to bush and what cover. Some love getting in there looking for a rabbit, but not all. Will never compete with an out and out bushing dog. Mine was ok, but given the

whippets are best on the outside of cover waiting for bolters

To what extent or you wanting them to bush and what cover. Some love getting in there looking for a rabbit, but not all. Will never compete with an out and out bushing dog. Mine was ok, but given the chance would leave it to my other dogs, saw a good little blue bitch many years ago, but she was quite a bit smaller than many of the whippets you see today and still had nothing on a jack russell.

• Like 2

My whippet will nail rabbits in the bush , but to be honest i try to discourage him from enterin as ive a terrier for that and the whippet is more usefull snappin up those that are flushed , cant be in 2 places at once , horses for courses !!

Just my take on it, but i'd say that, my whippet won't compete with a true cover dog when it comes to bushing out rabbits from cover, but wil compete with any running dog / lurcher at marking cver, pushing stuff out and catching in cover etc.

No running dog will equal a terrier / spaniel / hound though.

R.E the coat - i've had some bad injurys to my dog, but all of them have been metal based - i.e barbed wire, meta sheeting etc.

I know whippets have fairly thin skin in comparison to some breeds, but its not like bramble etc is going to split them open. Although i have noticed that some show type whippets do have skin like paper, whereas mine has skin like a lot of thin coated runners.

I think they are cracking dogs for a good mooch about, mines just like a fast little terrier in his hunting attitude.

Just my take on it, but i'd say that, my whippet won't compete with a true cover dog when it comes to bushing out rabbits from cover, but wil compete with any running dog / lurcher at marking cver, pushing stuff out and catching in cover etc.

would you like to par take in a small wager ;)

would you like to par take in a small wager ;)

Yep.

Now i'm not saying a good cover working lurcher wont beat a pot licker.

But the best cover lurcher you can find vs the best spaniel i can find. . . . .

I'd definatly whack some money on that.

I've had this argument a milion times, but i'm teling you now, a top spaniel will empty cover faster and work it harder than a runner, it's just about the build, and work style etc etc etc.

• Like 3
Guest born to run1083

R.E the coat - i've had some bad injurys to my dog, but all of them have been metal based - i.e barbed wire, meta sheeting etc.

I know whippets have fairly thin skin in comparison to some breeds, but its not like bramble etc is going to split them open. Although i have noticed that some show type whippets do have skin like paper, whereas mine has skin like a lot of thin coated runners.

I think they are cracking dogs for a good mooch about, mines just like a fast little terrier in his hunting attitude.

Aye Finns a good Cover dog I recon if he was a few inches smaller he would fit in alot more places. Tho losing the height wouldn't benefit him in other areas.

Donk I think it would be more about where its being worked as like jai says he's had some injuries costing big bucks from tears But you have to way It up. Take good with the bad as I'd pay the injury fees each year for a work ethic like jais dog

If sensible on where you work them I think no price could be put on them lol

Cheers foe the kind words Jamie.

We really DO need to meet up for a mooch soon, i'm flat out on the shoot at the moment, but soon! You should come over here.

R.E the whippet, if its just bushing, get a terrier or something. If its a bit of everything, then probably a small lurcher. If you like whippets, get one. Thats about the sum of it.

Mine does me, i can take him ferreting, he will now do a decent enough shift on the lamp, although can be a little git, and hes great for general mooching about. His work ethic is second to none and he makes any walk exciting, and will have a pop at most things that get up, even if he is stupidy over matched, and has taken most stuff i have let him have a go at.

Like Jamie has said, ive had some bad bangs, but then im in no way sensibe in where or what i run him on.

I like the sound of that whippet jamie told me about him before sounds a handy dog hope my whippet will be like that lol

He's ok mate, he can just be a right little git at times, never had a dog like him, extremely centered around me and loving etc, like my shadow in the house and yard. But as soon as you are out hes full on hunting mode, no pause, no chilling, and never just a walk, extremely independant. It took me a while to figure out it was just him and his way, rather than my massive training failings, or him being disobbediant, and he got a few slaps for it, but now I just leave him to it , and he will dissapear a lot, and reappear, sometimes with a rabbit, and as he has aged, can actually be quite biddable if in the mood. WOuldnt swap him for anything though.

• Like 1