Ayup people was wondering..

I think i went a bit mad with the oil whilst cleaning my rifles barrel the other day and im not sure if its gotten into the action or not. but the groups were allover the bloody shop at 34 yards and i could smell it after firing.

I also chronoed about 40 shots and most wer about 11.1 but 2 shots read 5 ft lbs and one was 12.47ft lbs :/ ooops lol.

So was wondering what i need to do to sort it out?

Cheers :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't put any more oil down your barrel!!!! Just clean it through, and put some shots down it 'til it clears

Well matt im not saying that....but with my 7 years in army(not long compared to others here) cleaning with oil and spraying direct into barrel are 2 diff things lol     Lol the mrs just told me fr

Well I wasn't in the army and I for one know you shouldn't be spraying anything down the barrel ever!   You lightly spray the little cloth tabs and pull em through then pull through loads of dry tab

Give it a good pull through mate....also as the barrel has been cleaned it will need releading...this can take quite a few pellets through it for it to settle down again.......so....do you have propper cleaning kit or did you use the pull through cloth way?....Either way the smallest ammount of any oil in the barrel will cause some dieseling as friction and heat from pellet travelling along rifle,ing will burn it.....you dont want that lol

Dieseling will also cause wayward shots.....dont just use any old cloth when cleaning mate...use a lint cloth :thumbs:

Hi Skot.

PCP or spring rifle :hmm: ?

Either you have excess oil in the barrel or elsewhere within the rifle or a case of both.

If you cleaned the inside of the barrel with a light, synthetic gun oil, WD40 or whatever, it's likely you got a drip down into the transfer port (possibly as far as the regulator) when you stored the rifle upright afterwards. Gravity!

NOT GOOD!

Best you can really do is strip the rifle as far as you can, clean the barrel with a pull-through and clean away as much excess lube as you can see,-especially around the breech/regulator. Do not try to put anything solid like a cleaning rod down inside the transfer port as, this can damage the profile of the port itself and your rifle is then useless scrap. But, try a light de-greasing agent (Halfords).and fire as many rounds through the gun to re-lead it until there is no more blue smoke/smell of burning oil.

Never use oil inside a barrel to clean it. It really is not doing any worthwhile good but generally, over time, it can mud-up the leading from the pellets in the lands or rifling and cause more headaches than it solves.

Like this one :whistling:

Simon

Edited by pianoman

I used a napier power pull through kit with the oil and patches in it. also i used a rod with a brass/bronze brush head thing first. its a hw97 i put a big chunk of kitchen roll in the breach? Before i rodded it from the muzzle towards the action.

i dont know the first thing about stripping a gun down. il give it another good pull through, but the patches seemed dry when i did it i used about 20 patches.. 10 pulls through in .177..

I must have put about 50-70 pellets through it but it stil seemed funny

Like simon had said mate...you should never use oil's inside the barrel pal....as it heats up due to friction of pellet moving at velocity it burns..hence you get smoke out of the end of barrel....this burning in turn collect minute particles left buy the lead as it moves along the rifling and before you know it its turned into a bloody sticky mess thats clogged up the rifling and then you wont be able to hit a bloody barn door at 6 pace's....use the brush through barrel again mate this time pull through alot of times the clean lint until there is no residue on them.....then relead and let us know how you get on

The brush is to get into the rifling mate so all cr@p is removed...do it nice and slow and also when pulling through i always turn brush the direction of the rifling as to make sure that every bit of cr@p is removed...do it over clean white paper and you will see just how much gunk is in there lol

A little oil in the barrel won't cause the problem as you've described. You've got oil in the compression chamber, and that's what's giving you problems. Short of stripping the gun down and cleaning it out the only solution is to keep on shooting it until it's cleared out. This doesn't happen in PCPs generally, only springers.

so its gone right back into where the spring is then? ooops i tried not to let it get in there by 'blocking' it with a fat lump of kitchen roll if you know what i mean?

and on the instructions it said.. 1. spray the barrel with Napier Power Airgun Oil and allow to dwell for 1 minute.. so i did but i didnt put the gun vertical i left it laid on my bed horizontal so the oil didnt dribble down into the internals of the gun, which was also blocked off by the kitchen roll.

il try rod it again a few times then pull through about 30 times to make sure its properly dry and oil free lol, and use minimal amount of the oil spray. then i will put about 200 pellets through it before i start worrying lol

If you have blocked the internals off with kitchen roll and your sure in never passed then its in the barrel.....i put oil in barrel once when cleaning and it diesiled like fk...took age's to clean it......have a go at what i have sugguested mate im sure when you say it never went into the internal it didnt.....i dont spray into the barrel mate i pull it through on some lint.....then keep pulling clean lint through till no cr@p comes out

also to much lube on pellet also cause's the same prob more so when its not dried properly

on the oil spray tin thingy theres a little sticky out bit, (kind of like where you put the straw into the wd40 tins) so i sprayed inside the barrel from where you put your pellet in towards the muzzle and seen it coming out of the muzzle.. i must have used too much. hope thats all it was. il pull it through again with loads of patches and see how it gets on

and like i said i was carefull with the kitchen roll blocking it, and i laid it down hanging off my bed at a slight downward angle with the muzzle pointing down so if the oil dribbled it would be going the 'right' way out of the barrel

lol

on the oil spray tin thingy theres a little sticky out bit, (kind of like where you put the straw into the wd40 tins) so i sprayed inside the barrel from where you put your pellet in towards the muzzle and seen it coming out of the muzzle.. i must have used too much. hope thats all it was. il pull it through again with loads of patches and see how it gets on

and like i said i was carefull with the kitchen roll blocking it, and i laid it down hanging off my bed at a slight downward angle with the muzzle pointing down so if the oil dribbled it would be going the 'right' way out of the barrel

lol

i meant when i did it the other night lol not just now hahaa :laugh:

The Napier oil is supposed to be inert, non-mineral based and shouldn't cause dieselling.

You must have got some other oil in there somewhere if you have smoke coming out of the barrel.

No oil should be put directly into barrel mate no matter what instructions say.........i spray onto cloth and pull through....and then make damn sure no residue is on the last cloth that comes out......only time oil should be put in barrel even this is not reccomended is when it is being stored and then it should only be a very little to ward off oxidising

Well matt im not saying that....but with my 7 years in army(not long compared to others here) cleaning with oil and spraying direct into barrel are 2 diff things lol

Lol the mrs just told me from strip down to clean to put back together of SA80 L98 cadet rifle...and not once was she told to spray any oil into the barrel..........moisten the lint only....as im sure everyone knows...she even got her marksmen badge brown and red :)

• Like 1