Longnetting lurcher myth or legend

reddawn,as you probably know nothing is set in stone with the "longnetting game" and everyones approach to the game is different.i admire your conviction in trying the dog route. i do as you do locally,and know from years of netting my district where to place a net .and one of my most enjoyable drops (local term)produced 3 rabbits...yes only 3 ! but it ment a lot of thought and fieldcraft to be able to get those 3.

Romany,you say its bloody hard work "working" a net by oneself, can i ask what yardage were you running (local term) out ?.every year Two of us make the long pilgramige to deepest norfolk to net rabbits and we regulary run a couple of hundred yards out to catch 60-80 rabbits a time,now if thats the type of single handed netting youve done then i can understand as i wouldnt like to deal with that regulary.

One the odd ocaision, and I mean odd occaision I have longnetted alone I used my hundred yarder..I ran the net out, had the pegs with me, back pegged along the set net, then chorded the field..killed the rabbits in the net, then had a good rest...One reason I did this alone, a night when two of us had planned to go out, my mates wife was playing up about him going out, so I went myself, took the dog with me, got 18 rabbits with one drop of the net, got 42 rabbits lamping after netting, got chased, got stopped by the feds but just great to be out....the best longnetter Ive grafted with was a guy called Harry the rabbit from Bedlington, Harry longnetted a lot of times by himself..

Depending on the drops we have worked as a team we have used a single hundred yarder, or in some cases, two 80 yarders..

Running two nets out alone.....not for me Im affraid :laugh:

• Like 2

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DEPENDS on your deffinition of a net dog,,,,, if you had 2 or even 3 ,,,100 yard long nets droped,,, thats 2-3 hundred yards wide along a wood , or bank,,, i dont honestly see any type of dog workin

There was a simular topic a few years ago on another forum. It run for many pages. To be honest it was a very good thread, in that a lot of people gave input and insight.   Although at the conclusio

reddawn,as you probably know nothing is set in stone with the "longnetting game" and everyones approach to the game is different.i admire your conviction in trying the dog route. i do as you do locall

Now and again a lurcher pops up and its sole purpose through character is to please its master by carrying out is bidding.

I know of one unfortunatley i dont own it.

Working with the net in walled or meshed medium sized fields ibelieve would be a plesure once the penny drops.

Not as deadly as the other methods though no doubt very satisfying

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

aye mate, not wanna blow me own trumpet but i got a collie doing what i expected of it, its put a few bunnys in the web, but like you say its not been a great season, i dare not try the lurchers i own just now, they are too driven.. i doubt this collie would be the legend some would expect, but he does what i want :thumbs:

• Like 1