Longnetting lurcher myth or legend

DEPENDS on your deffinition of a net dog,,,,, if you had 2 or even 3 ,,,100 yard long nets droped,,, thats 2-3 hundred yards wide along a wood , or bank,,, i dont honestly see any type of dog working the full width up to 300 yards in width properly,,,, on its own

when you have this much netting down ,, you have to quater the field the full width,, even better with a banting line,, if there were two of you and a dog working with you under closish control then yes...

or if you just had a 50 yarder droped in front of a warren then yes , i think a dog could work a small patch of land in front,,,,,

but i wouldnt trust a dog to walk and drive a big drop

as for the obedience side ,,, thats the easy bit,, getting it sit at the end wilst you do the drop,,,,

far better two lads quatering with a bant

• Like 2

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DEPENDS on your deffinition of a net dog,,,,, if you had 2 or even 3 ,,,100 yard long nets droped,,, thats 2-3 hundred yards wide along a wood , or bank,,, i dont honestly see any type of dog workin

There was a simular topic a few years ago on another forum. It run for many pages. To be honest it was a very good thread, in that a lot of people gave input and insight.   Although at the conclusio

reddawn,as you probably know nothing is set in stone with the "longnetting game" and everyones approach to the game is different.i admire your conviction in trying the dog route. i do as you do locall

Firstly you would need a good steady dog to stay while you set the net Then once nets set send off to hunt up and knowing to drive to the net easier sed than done that would be the big one. Then once driven to the nets either wait while you chin the rabbit or off back to hunt I think the dog when more experienced at his job would hunt the field when he knows the rabbit has been taken care of it would be a hard job to do but would be great to see the dog work like this.

Border collie comes to mind. :thumbs:

You were saying you train all your dogs to stand and watch another dog lamp without joining in without a lead,untill its its turn,A man of your training skills could train a dog to this standard easy,After all turning of its prey drive is the hard part.
  • Like 1

right i been oot this morning an had the collie in the down postition while i run oot some orange placcy netting, i run out around 60 yds of the stuff(was all i could get lol, collie lay there whilst i done it, i knew he would, after i set the placcy net i walked the field throo with the dog, this was an empty sheep field, an the net was along the hedge, no bunnys were in it, after zigzaggin the field as best as i could for 5 mins i droped a tennis ball for the dog, walked back to the net an told the dog to hop the net, which he done, tonite if i have time i intend to show the collie a few bunnys on the lamp an see if i can stop his desire to chase em...

slowly slowly catch a monkey :D

Edited by reddawn

Maybe that's why I wanna do it so much because I was brainwashed all the years ago when reading his books lol

books are okay for when ye cant get out, but to beleive what you read in books is the same as beleiven thing ye see on tele, i dont care what it says in books, i prefer to go try it meself :D

Haha good luck reddawn my thoughts would be that you would recire a dog to heard it towards the net even if it was hunting up one at a time and running it to then net

well im trying to get this collie to walk a field, like a man would do, but not to pay an any attention to the bunnys, just try an work the field in the way i would, an hopefully just the disturbance will cause the bunnys to head for home, after all thats all i do when walkin in, i dont chase a single bunny to the net each time, as for the dog knowing what ground to walk over, like said earlier, thats the bit thatll get complicated i reckon, as no 2 drops are the same, unless ye do same 1 twice lol :D

anybody any thoughts or see anything iv missed regarding the collie lookin for a ball while also disturbing the bunnys in the process an makin them head for home?? is there summat really obvious that iv not seen lol :D

Firstly you would need a good steady dog to stay while you set the net Then once nets set send off to hunt up and knowing to drive to the net easier sed than done that would be the big one. Then once driven to the nets either wait while you chin the rabbit or off back to hunt I think the dog when more experienced at his job would hunt the field when he knows the rabbit has been taken care of it would be a hard job to do but would be great to see the dog work like this.

You were saying you train all your dogs to stand and watch another dog lamp without joining in without a lead,untill its its turn,A man of your training skills could train a dog to this standard easy,After all turning of its prey drive is the hard part.

I sense a bit of sarcasm :D .A big risk just to chase rabbits into nets.

• Like 1

I sense a bit of sarcasm :D .A big risk just to chase rabbits into nets.

whats the risk??? getting the dog wrapped up in a net??

Well weve all got our own ideas and heres one of mine,how about food as a incentive ?. you could walk the dog ( it has to be a collie x for me )out into the field and whilst walking back towards the net you could throw food/treats to the left and the to the right whilt giving a command (seek), it wouldnt take a collie type to long pick it up (pardon the pun)....Thoughts anyone ?

Well weve all got our own ideas and heres one of mine,how about food as a incentive ?. you could walk the dog ( it has to be a collie x for me )out into the field and whilst walking back towards the net you could throw food/treats to the left and the to the right whilt giving a command (seek), it wouldnt take a collie type to long pick it up (pardon the pun)....Thoughts anyone ?

thats more or less how i teach pups to bush if they aint showing intrest, sooner or later they flush summat an they switch on, but yeah im sure a colliex could take that onboard pretty sharpish, if the dog wanted to lol :thumbs: