Gutted

Just been out to check on the ferrets, top up the food bowls and fill the water bottles.

I keep them in a shed with a 8 foot outside run and 3 double decker hutches all linked with pipes.

As I went in the shed I was only greated by 4 ferrets, I checked the outside run, then the nest boxes and finally found the missing one.

She was lied down straight and not moving, she was dead.

3 of them have been in season a few weeks but I was waiting until all 4 Jill's came into season to get them jabbed so I can get them all done at the same time, this Jill had been in season a few weeks so now I feel a bit of a twat as this might be what killed her.

She wasn't extremaly swollen down below and had no signs of infection either. I couldn't see any other reason why she died, no marks where she had been fighting or injured herself.

She was only 5 years old and I thought she had a few more seasons in her yet, I am gutted because she was my smallest Jill and one of my best workers.

Thanks for the replies and the offer of another ferret, I am going to wait a while before I get another one to make sure the others are ok first.

I am going to get them to the vets this week to get them jabbed and take the hob as well just to get him checked over.

Do you think it would be a good idea to sterilise the hutches or do you think it's probably just one of those things and there is no need?

Edited by THE GRIFF

Thanks for the replies and the offer of another ferret, I am going to wait a while before I get another one to make sure the others are ok first.

I am going to get them to the vets this week to get them jabbed and take the hob as well just to get him checked over.

Do you think it would be a good idea to sterilise the hutches or do you think it's probably just one of those things and there is no need?

yea mate give the hutches a good scrub down better to be safe than sorry :thumbs:

Scrubbing the hutches cant do any harm but i would have thought if it was anything contagious the rest have already been exposed to it,to be honest i think it was just one of those things :censored: theres an awful lot we dont know about ferrets :blink: the offers there anyway pal,whatever you decide good luck :thumbs: Dave

5 is a good age, its very rare for a ferret to die from being in season from infection, if your hutches are clean it will never happen, also smaller jills dont live as long, nor do bigger ones!

sorry for your loss

Can you give up the act now, this is total bullshit and could give somebody the wrong advise, they are looking for help. and you f*****g around with your false account is helping no one.

5 is a good age, its very rare for a ferret to die from being in season from infection, if your hutches are clean it will never happen, also smaller jills dont live as long, nor do bigger ones!

sorry for your loss

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Phone the circus we have found one of their clowns :censored:

sorry for your loss

Can you give up the act now, this is total bullshit and could give somebody the wrong advise, they are looking for help. and you f*****g around with your false account is helping no one.

What's the score then rake ?????

I know how you feel, I lost my best ever working Jill a couple of months ago, it's a gutting feeling. I can't imagine it would have been that you didn't jab her - if it had been say the end of August I might have agreed but not at this time of year. Chin up mate.

sorry for your loss

What's the score then rake ?????

Some erse f*****g around with a second account, have a look at the other topics, hare corsing (sic) fake text talking etc,

A laugh is one thing but advising folk with shite like the above is just being a tossel