HARES.

Guest Frank

HARES  

83 members have voted

1. 1. LAMPING OR DAYTIME, WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

• Daytime Coursing.
    • Lamping.

Guest Frank

I was in my local last night ( a rare thing) and the dicussion of taking hares came up with running dogs.

Some said they prefer lamping them, others were digusted with this and said a daytime one prooved a dog and was more sporting. Luckyly, i dont drink, so got things calmed down. :laugh:

So folks, what did you do, lamped them, or coursed them in the day? Pre ban. ;)

I personally, prefer to course them in the daytime.

Dont be shy, all join in, bit of banter in the off season. :D

Frank.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lurchers2006

Well frank a daytime hare is always going to test the dog more and it is in the daytime that I enjoy most although I havent done alot in the day BUT it really really annoys me when people say that hares on the lamp are easy :no: Alot of people seem to think that every hare runs towards the light and is killed very quickly but they are underestimating the hares ability on the lamp. Iv seen a 3 minute and a 3 1/2 minute course on the lamp this season and these were not with slow dogs but were in big fields. If you get a hare that knows what a lamp is in a big field they can take some stopping. :D Just my opinion and I hope this thread doesnt turn into a big argument like most threads concerning hares and lamping seem to do :laugh:

Guest Frank

Thanks Lurchers 2006. :)

Its just your opinion mate, dont worry about it and i hope it does not get out of hand ither. :icon_eek::laugh:

I know what you exactlty mean about hares not being easy on the lamp :yes: and iv seen dogs, in the past, cripled, with a gruling course on a strong hare, with lamp.

Keep it coming folks. :victory:

Frank.

Hi frank

as said above daytime hares imo are a good test of a dog then on the lamp,,and i much prefer coursing during the day purely because i love watching the dog run and the dog is running at agreater speed at night which we all know what can happen there, but like most people i wouldnt let the opportunity pass by to chase on on the lamp,,,,,pre ban offcourse,,,just my opinion

scotty

Guest Frank

Thanks folks.

I know that at night, your consentrating on the hare, so cant really see the dog run, unless your a bystander :)

Daytime is more fun, also judging by the votes, it is ansewring for it self. ;)

Frank.

Guest oldskool

i lamp them quite regularly and i can say i have come across a few green ones that were easyily caught... when i come across these i would usually try and turn the light off to deter the dog. they will give better sport once they get educated... i have also seen lamped hares try a good dog very very hard... once my dogs have run a couple in one night they are usually fecked for the rest of the night...

Most dogs ive had haven,t been all out daytime hare dogs but ive caught a few from early slips and being hunted up by my dogs,so when there on the lamp it kinds of evens things up a bit.

But as said earlier lamped hares can sometimes take a bit of catchin,well for my mutts anyway :icon_redface: but this said i like to see a good daytime course with two evenly matched animals out in open ground,nothing like it to get the old heart pumping :)

So i didnt answer to day or night as i,ll take them anyway i can with my lurchers but not at this time of the year mind ;)

Edited by gaz

I voted daytime. Ive lamped a lot of hares in the past with various lurcher types, including heavy boned collie crosses and I can honestly say the main reason I lamped them was because my dogs were not good enough to catch them during the day I just wish more people could be as honest about their dogs capabilities as if they were they would admit a hare during the day, in the wintertime takes a heck of a lot more stopping than one thats run at night. But this is the dog game were talking about and many people would rather tell you that the hares they run are supr fit, challenging night time sprinters, than admit they dont own anything good enough to stop em during the day when the odds are tipped more in the hares favour :clapper:

Guest Frank

Great stuff, thanks so far folks, nowt like a good debate this time of year. ;)

I have just realized, i should of put BOTH, as an option aswell :icon_redface: , if anyone does both, please, say so, if you want, thanks :victory:

Frank.

Edited by Frank

i much prefer to watch the dog run them in the daytime wether he catches or not,my own experience is at night while they're not easy to catch all the time they do tend to stay in the field they get up in,therefore nowhere near the test they are in the daytime.