fluff chucking, fly fishing for pike.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ok so it is soon my birthday and i got a complete pike fly fishing setup from my missus.   i got the chance to go out yesterday and give it a road test.   by the end of the day i had managed to ge

Use a slightly BULKIER fly. It doesn't have ot be big, but think whatthe pike sees and feels - you want a fly that moves water, so the materials want to stick out sideways in all directions, then as y

Use better hooks than those. Thin wire will open out in a decent fish. I use saltwater hooks, having gone to the effort of tying a good fly, I want it to last, not go rusty under the tying. Vcut 2600

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Use a slightly BULKIER fly. It doesn't have ot be big, but think whatthe pike sees and feels - you want a fly that moves water, so the materials want to stick out sideways in all directions, then as you pull it the materials pulse, sending out a much bigger signal for the pike to pick up on - they will see it at around 3 feet, they will FEEL it at 20 feet! The same is true of bass

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

My first over 25lbs, just.

21lb6oz002.jpg

Sc043.jpg

DSCN0655.jpg

Sc040.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

merseypike004.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Stick with the 9or 10 weight. Caching pike on anythin gless than an #8 is simply irresponsible. THINK OF THE PIKE FIRST.

• Like 2

I did a bit of pike fly fishing years ago, i found it very frustrating but when you did hook up it was brilliant fun. I found that i used to get loads of follows from some really big pike and then they would turn away at the last minute leaving me very frustrated, i could then cast a home made plug into the same bit and usually hook it. I had a dvd years ago which was brilliant, i think it was pike fishing with Alan Hannah but could be wrong, he invented them floating bombers that you can use with a floating line down to a lead core line as the line pulls the lure down and as the lure floats it fishes just off the bottom. I made some of these, they have plastazote heads on them. I best fish i ever got was on a fly i bought out of john norris shop at penrith it was called a sun fish i think. I hooked a monster one night on it at dusk, it was around the 20lb mark and took 25 mins to land. I had to give her a good hand to see her on her way. The little jacks seem to hammer the fly were as the big ones just pluck at it in my opinion. The only reason i have not done it for a few years is i have nowhere to go now and find it difficult for time with fishing for trout, sea trout, salmon and ferreting. But it can be superb fishing for the pike although as i said very difficult to achive results.

• Like 1

I did a bit of pike fly fishing years ago, i found it very frustrating but when you did hook up it was brilliant fun. I found that i used to get loads of follows from some really big pike and then they would turn away at the last minute leaving me very frustrated, i could then cast a home made plug into the same bit and usually hook it. I had a dvd years ago which was brilliant, i think it was pike fishing with Alan Hannah but could be wrong, he invented them floating bombers that you can use with a floating line down to a lead core line as the line pulls the lure down and as the lure floats it fishes just off the bottom. I made some of these, they have plastazote heads on them. I best fish i ever got was on a fly i bought out of john norris shop at penrith it was called a sun fish i think. I hooked a monster one night on it at dusk, it was around the 20lb mark and took 25 mins to land. I had to give her a good hand to see her on her way. The little jacks seem to hammer the fly were as the big ones just pluck at it in my opinion. The only reason i have not done it for a few years is i have nowhere to go now and find it difficult for time with fishing for trout, sea trout, salmon and ferreting. But it can be superb fishing for the pike although as i said very difficult to achive results.

Found a few of the bomber flys that i made from Alan Hannas patern, had a few fish on them, the one on the right is the sunfish that i got my best pike on.

flys002.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Use better hooks than those. Thin wire will open out in a decent fish. I use saltwater hooks, having gone to the effort of tying a good fly, I want it to last, not go rusty under the tying. Vcut 2600 are good ones, not expensive, just very good hooks. GRIP saltwater hooks in 4/0 are another very good hook for tying pike flies on. I know some people use the Sakuma Manta (which is a Varivas hook) but they are black nickel and go rusty - I prefer good saltwater, stainless hooks. Shorter shank too, so the fish has less leverage and less chance of throwing it.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Cracking read, I had my 9ft fly rod and reel with me last year and my mate had a pike fly wih him, we blanked al day on deads so I thought why not, set the fly rod up and couldnt beleive

What hapened, 1st cast never fly fished for pike before striped it 3 foot from were it landed and bang, 4lb pike on the fly 1st cast, going to buy al the gear next year

32ACB005-0549-44B8-82A8-F707D8051B4D-626-0000019345AFE688.jpg

It maybe only small but it was a good pull

• Like 2