fluff chucking, fly fishing for pike.

ok so it is soon my birthday and i got a complete pike fly fishing setup from my missus.

i got the chance to go out yesterday and give it a road test.

by the end of the day i had managed to get 2 jacks on the fly but my mate managed a better pike on his lucky bargain bucket lure that never fails him.

my 1st pike caught on the fly

my1stpikeonfly.jpg

# 2

DSCF2302.jpg

my mates pike caught at the end of the day on his lucky bargain bucket lure

peterspike.jpg

i have to say there is great satisfaction in feeling even the smallest pike on the fly rod, a great feeling of every move the pike makes with the light gear and playing it till landed.

is there many others on here that bother with pike fishing on the fly ?

niall_b73

• Like 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ok so it is soon my birthday and i got a complete pike fly fishing setup from my missus.   i got the chance to go out yesterday and give it a road test.   by the end of the day i had managed to ge

Use a slightly BULKIER fly. It doesn't have ot be big, but think whatthe pike sees and feels - you want a fly that moves water, so the materials want to stick out sideways in all directions, then as y

Use better hooks than those. Thin wire will open out in a decent fish. I use saltwater hooks, having gone to the effort of tying a good fly, I want it to last, not go rusty under the tying. Vcut 2600

Posted Images

Nice catches niall, your mates catch must have been great fun on the fly rod, I haven't purposely fished for pike on the fly in a few years ni but I had two nice wee jacks on the fly a few weeks back while fishing for rainbows, as you say they give great satisfaction on the fly, even the small one's :victory:

• Like 1

Nice catches niall, your mates catch must have been great fun on the fly rod, I haven't purposely fished for pike on the fly in a few years ni but I had two nice wee jacks on the fly a few weeks back while fishing for rainbows, as you say they give great satisfaction on the fly, even the small one's :victory:

he caught it on a spinning rod and lucky lure with 10lb line so was great crack watching him playing the fish and seeing him sweat every time it thrashed its tail and took off into the abyss. he did well to get her in

niall_b73

the rod is a 9ft 10 weight, the reel is a 7/8 but i think i need a bigger reel !!

i have floating and sinking line.

i make the leader myself 30lb (prob should be heavier) tied to a normal wire trace.

i started with the floating line but the lures would not go under the water so changed to the sinking and that made all the difference, the flies went right where i wanted them to go.

like i said above this is pretty new to me so if it seems wrong dont be afraid to correct me or give a few pointers.

(also if ye want to tie me up a few i would be more than happy to give them a lash for ya) :tongue2:

niall_b73

Edited by niall_b73
  • Like 1

My fly fishing is based largely on enthusiasm rather than skill mate :icon_redface: ive caught plenty of stockies and some coarse fish but never tried for pike with the fly.I can imagine the scrap being superb on a fly rod ,particularly at this time of year.If/when I get round to tying some up I will send you some to try :thumbs: have you tried tying your own before?Dave

the rod is a 9ft 10 weight, the reel is a 7/8 but i think i need a bigger reel !!

i make the leader myself 30lb (prob should be heavier) tied to a normal wire trace.

i started with the floating line but the lures would not go under the water so changed to the sinking and that made all the difference, the flies went right where i wanted them to go.

like i said above this is pretty new to me so if it seems wrong dont be afraid to correct me or give a few pointers.

(also if ye want to tie me up a few i would be more than happy to give them a lash for ya) :tongue2:

niall_b73

What do you have coming off your flyline, is it a braided loop, then 30lb of mono, then do you use wire that you make deadbait trace's with, or some other wire, i have seen something like a stiff piece of wire with i think loop's both end's coming of the mono, then an attatchment for the fly, is this right, and do you think it would better to start with a sinking line then, is this right, just that i do want to give it ago, but would try to sort it with some of the fly gear i have first, instead of buying it straight away. :thumbs:

My fly fishing is based largely on enthusiasm rather than skill mate :icon_redface: ive caught plenty of stockies and some coarse fish but never tried for pike with the fly.I can imagine the scrap being superb on a fly rod ,particularly at this time of year.If/when I get round to tying some up I will send you some to try :thumbs: have you tried tying your own before?Dave

i have never tied my own fly but have been browsing the net at different starter kits.

i recon there would be a great buzz catching a fish on a fly that you have tied yourself.

tho i at the minute wont be purchasing a kit but will not rule it out for the future

niall_b73

niall_b73

What do you have coming off your flyline, is it a braided loop, then 30lb of mono, then do you use wire that you make deadbait trace's with, or some other wire, i have seen something like a stiff piece of wire with i think loop's both end's coming of the mono, then an attatchment for the fly, is this right, and do you think it would better to start with a sinking line then, is this right, just that i do want to give it ago, but would try to sort it with some of the fly gear i have first, instead of buying it straight away. :thumbs:

yes first the fly line then the braided loop then i have 5/6 foot of 30lb line.

i then have an ordinary everyday wire trace, the one with a clip on one end and the swivel on the other.

i get the pliars and cut the swivel off and am left with a loop in the wire trace i then tie the other end of the 30lb mono line to that loop and the fly goes on the clip end.

that is my setup.

i do also have kevlar, kind of like braid which could be used instead of the wire trace tho i have not tried it yet.

and i am still looking at other options...

i started with the floating line and did not like it as the fly would not sink.

then i changed to sinking and the fly worked beautifully.

so i guess an intermidiate or sinking line would be the way to go for me at the minute but like i said i am new to all this and learning as i go along.

then again the floating line was usefull when i was putting a fly with a weedguard across the lillies !!

so trial and error.

niall_b73

If I wasyou Niall I wouldnt buy a kit,I started with one it was ok but theres lots of stuff in it that Ill never use!!best of just buying the essentials ie vice,bobbin holder,scissors and varnish,and then buy what fur,feather ,thread etc you NEED for the pattern you want to tie.In this way youll soon build a collecton of what you want,Ithink Ive still got some of my kit unused from years ago!Its frustrating at first but when you catch on something made by yourself its very satisfying :D they dont have to be perfect to work and youd be surprised the amount of household objects that can be used crisp packets :icon_eek: for buzzer cheeks,tufts of carpet :blink: ,dog/ferret hairs.The best buzzer pattern I use was shown to me by an old guy,basically it is black pudding skin wrapped around a bare hook with cheeks made from wotsit bag,coated in the wifes(honest)clear nail varnish :icon_redface: caught loads on these,good luck mate Dave

• Like 2
Guest bullterrier

well done niall never done it myself but seen it on tv were a pike crashes out of the lillie pads taking the fly its something thats taking big now and also for carp on the fly :thumbs: john

• Like 1