Remington 700 or tikka t3

Which do you prefer remington 700 sps synthetic/stainless or the tikka t3 synthetic/stainless, I'm torn between the 2 any pro or con's ,which ever i choose will be the drop mag verison and i'll be using it in 243.Remington got the edge because of what you can upgrade it with because its a close call at the moment so fire away with your views please folks .

Horses for courses to be honest. I found the Remmy to be OK, not the best in the world but it groups well.

Have you had a look at the Howa? I recently got a Howa in 6.5 x 55 and although I have only started load development its putting 3 shots into 15mm @100m.

338Lm i've a howa 25-06 and tbh im not that happy with it it'll be fine on the target and groups well then when im out in the field i'm missed foxes and deer where with my 243 i know 99% sure would of been dead. but this is with a factory load but on the other hand so it is with my 243

338Lm i've a howa 25-06 and tbh im not that happy with it it'll be fine on the target and groups well then when im out in the field i'm missed foxes and deer where with my 243 i know 99% sure would of been dead. but this is with a factory load but on the other hand so it is with my 243

Is this a rifle with the Hogue overmold stock? If it is have a look and see if the fore end is twisting when you hold it in normal 'field shooting' positions. You may find that the stock is touching the barrel and affecting accuracy and consistency. My stock is as flexible as a fishing rod and its one thing that I knew when I bought the rifle. As soon as funds allow, a good stock will be fitted.

This is a known problem with the overmold stocks but the actions themselves are outstanding. Also the triggers are simplicity itself to adjust.

Burnie69, that problem is usually a straightforward bedding issue. If an action shoots well and then 'misbehaves' in when held differently I would be looking at the bedding and or the stock pressing against the barrel where it should not. Having spoken to quite a few professional users and seen the rifle used in NZ and elsewhere I actually prefer it out of the box as compared to a remmy. With the exception of a poor stock, the action, barrel and trigger are good and that is the foundation of a consistent hunting rifle.

• 1 month later...

After waiting 8 weeks for my varation to come through it finally arrived this morning.went to my local gunshop at dinner and picked up a tikka t3 lite s/s what had been ordered 6 weeks ago fitted my khales 4.5 -18x50 scope on and a a-tec maxim sound moderator.Took it out this afternoon and it only took 6 rounds to sight in at 1inch high at 100 yards.Out tonight so i'll let you know how it shoots regards burnie

• 2 months later...

Is this a rifle with the Hogue overmold stock? If it is have a look and see if the fore end is twisting when you hold it in normal 'field shooting' positions. You may find that the stock is touching the barrel and affecting accuracy and consistency. My stock is as flexible as a fishing rod and its one thing that I knew when I bought the rifle. As soon as funds allow, a good stock will be fitted.

This is a known problem with the overmold stocks but the actions themselves are outstanding. Also the triggers are simplicity itself to adjust.

Is there any advice in Howa handbook about trigger adjusting or is it the standard 'take to a gunsmith' ?

Mate has a 1500 in 223 and I recon its very trigger heavy!