1st cross saluki x hound

post-72979-0-96502400-1339595067.jpgJust got my first saluki and hes a 1st cross hes 14mnts looks a good dog havent really tried him yet as i want 2get a good bond with him first. Just looking for some advice tips ect on training, recall and so on as im relitavely new to hunting and this is my first saluki and ive heard there hard 2train. Cheers lads in advance!! have better pics having problems gettin em posted at da moment il get em up later

bonding with him is the key to sucess, once you have that bond then you are half way there, training never stops it depends how much work you put in to how good he becomes,just take it slow at the minute if you have just had him and at that age you have got to find out what makes him tick, i would not even think about working him until you do.

• Like 1

well christopher, first its not a good idea of taking, on a 14 month old, Saluki x unless you know the full history of the dog,

they do not really change hands to well, Recall, you can build that up as you are trying to get a bond, with the dog, BUT when you take him into the hunting field, you could have a serious problem, due to the fact they are masters at turning the deaf ear, as you

have only taken the dog on could be difficult for you, question, why did the last owner part with a 14 month old running dog,

and please do not use rough hand tactics, stay cool and calm at all times, they are so sensitive, they can read your body Language,

never mind your voice, they do not give there heart to easy, in fact you have to do all for them a fact!!!! look up A TOPIC

called PUP TO 2 YEARS OLD,

• Like 1

I agree with BL; taking on any 14 month lurcher can be fraught, but more so with a Saluki X. Did the previous owner do ANY training with it ? What was the reason for passing it on ? If it all comes good with the bonding and training, you'll probably have a decent dog; good luck with it ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 1

He is a nice looking animal, you need to spend a lot of time with him, ideally I would have him in the house with you. Show him a lot of love and never ever hit him, once you hurt one of these crosses you have had it, you will not do a thing with them. They respond to kindness.

They are stubborn and hard work but I would never be without mine

• Like 2

well christopher, first its not a good idea of taking, on a 14 month old, Saluki x unless you know the full history of the dog,

they do not really change hands to well, Recall, you can build that up as you are trying to get a bond, with the dog, BUT when you take him into the hunting field, you could have a serious problem, due to the fact they are masters at turning the deaf ear, as you

have only taken the dog on could be difficult for you, question, why did the last owner part with a 14 month old running dog,

and please do not use rough hand tactics, stay cool and calm at all times, they are so sensitive, they can read your body Language,

never mind your voice, they do not give there heart to easy, in fact you have to do all for them a fact!!!! look up A TOPIC

called PUP TO 2 YEARS OLD,

thanks i have been doing alot of research into the breed he parted in my opnion because he didnt want r know how 2manage the breed as u said he prob did no research into the breed. as for rough handing the dog in my research no1 ting ive read it that they dont respond well to it so i realise that a no no thanks for ur info

He is a nice looking animal, you need to spend a lot of time with him, ideally I would have him in the house with you. Show him a lot of love and never ever hit him, once you hurt one of these crosses you have had it, you will not do a thing with them. They respond to kindness.

They are stubborn and hard work but I would never be without mine

yes was thinking of keeping him in the house to get a really good bond with him thanks