Domestic poultry. what sort ??

I am going to get some more hens for laying, havent had them for about two years now so got all the sheds kit etc, for many years before I kept warrens and some Light Sussex and some marrans. I am in a quandry at the moment, do i get warrens again at £8.50 each, Black rocks or light susex for £15 each.

Price aside for a minute, how good are these black rocks ??, i hear they are a hardy bird bred for free range ( which is exactly what mine will be) but what is the egg laying frequency like, size of egg and length of laying etc.

The warrens are in front at the minute due to egg laying frequency and price, they are bombproof really.

What experience have you guys had with black rock hens, and what is your opinion on them please.

Thanks in advance

B

Well ive never kept black rocks before but a friend does and he reckons there alright but I thunk he prefers warrens,

But if I were you I'd go for the warrens which are what I keep and I get them for a pound each which is a bonus, and mine free range and I usually get an egg a day from each hen,

Hope this helps, cheers fd.

Thanks for the reply mate, there are adverts locally for warrens that have done one season laying on free range egg farms for £1 but the ones for £8.50 are 19 weeks old, so you'll get a lot more eggs, whether it warrants another £7.50 i dont know. I habe tried ex layers before and pol's. I dont think you'll go far wrong with a warren, but i quite like the black rocks, but not the price.

Thanks

B

black rocks are unbeatable imo, if they are GENUINE. they need to be from MUIRFEILD HATCHERY, they own the copyright of the black rock name, other shit black rocks are around that are just some plain old bred crosses without much consideration for the parentage. many black rocks around that are not black rocks, just like some pitbulls are staffies. i had black rocks from muirfeild (one of their suppliers) and they were excellent, in every way, laid like troopers and ate very little. if they are genuine blackrocks get them! if they are not genuine black rocks go for the warrens. and dont go for the light sussex a good bird but not excellent.

The place near me I get POLs off said the black rock are more expensive because they lay longer, the ones I have had have laid similar amounts to the warrens. So do the speckledys and light sussex lookalikes they sell. The white stars (leghorn types) lay massive white eggs in comparison to their body size and lay a good amount too.

Thanks for the reply mate, there are adverts locally for warrens that have done one season laying on free range egg farms for £1 but the ones for £8.50 are 19 weeks old, so you'll get a lot more eggs, whether it warrants another £7.50 i dont know. I habe tried ex layers before and pol's. I dont think you'll go far wrong with a warren, but i quite like the black rocks, but not the price.

Thanks

B

Yeh the £1 ones I get have done a seasons laying on a free range egg farm, but they carry on laying near enough an egg a day for the next 2-3 years which i think is good enough for a pound,

Cheers fd.

Hell of a difference between £1 and £8.50 and £15.00 though. Theres a guy down the road that sells free range farm eggs for £2 a doz, so its not cheaper to keep your own, but i swear our old eggs were nicer, and the ducks we used to keep, kk's, a bacon sandwich for breakfast with a fresh duck egg in it is hard to beat imy opinion.

Food for though obviously.

Thanks guys for all the comments.

B

• 2 weeks later...

i bought 7 warrens last Aug from a local egg place, they had done a years laying before i had them, they amount of eggs that i have had off them is unreal! if its just eggs ide go for these but if you want something a bit prettier to look at you might have to pay more.