When is the right time to train a lurcher on bunnies ??

Hi all, was wondering if anyone could help as I am wondering when i could train my lurcher on bunnies he is a whippetxgreyhound cross with a broken coat, he is 8 month old now and is keen on the scent of rabbit after i come home from a succesfull nights shooting on the permission i have and would like to start training him on bunnies. I have dried a full skin out and it is now ready to be stuffed for me to train him with any ideas or tips on how to train him a bit better on bunnies than the way i know would be apreciated and taken into mind for the coming season :).

(LAMPING LURCHER 2.)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please for the love of god Do not listen to this fooking idiot..

Me personaly i would want my pup's retrieving/recall an most important of all the stock breaking sorted out long before the pup ever get's entered on a rabbit..they all grow a differant rate's an the

You really are a clown!!!

Cheers for the info guys and will be training my pup to retrieve the dummy bunny over the next few weeks and also be looking at getting some new permission for next season if he takes to the lamp :) then i will be over the moon as its my first lurcher in training for it as was too young and clueless to even attempt to train my other lurcher which is greyhoundxdeerhound and now at the age of 16.

Before you even start thinking about slipping her on a bunny you want to make s [bANNED TEXT] her basic trainings bang up to scratch. when her recall and retrieving are spot on then take her out and show her a few without slipping her just to get her interest and prey instinct fired up. Then When shes about 10 month slip her on a few bunnies shes defo likely to catch ..

Good luck

i would say at this age now just because of the x it is they arnt slow dogs but all ways make it in ya dogs faver dropper would be a good start or young bunnys its all a bout confidence for ya dog but only give the dog a couple dont over do it you might siken the dog

Edited by the gafer
Guest FTBBTH

9 months old get him a couple droppers :thumbs:

You really are a clown!!!

sure baw.. the dogs most likely reachede its height, finding its legs, and a dropper is nice and easy giving it alot of confidence.