cable damascus knife , first one .

well iv been reading about cable damascus for ages and never found any , then on a walk the other week i was some sticking out a soil bank in an old quarry . quick look and yep its what i needed .

i tried to cut it with a hack saw and 4 blades later and an hours sold sawing and it was hardly cut at all so , quick ebay session sees me with a cordless angle grinder and 1mm cutting disc .

its weird stuff must have been a crane or winch drot in there 100 years ago or something ?

anyway i got a meter and half of it and set to .

pics say it all really .

my beautiful lady helped me twist it and burned her hair eye brows and eye lashes off helping me !!:o dont worry she is still beautiful !!

2012_0511cable-damascus0001.jpg

2012_0511cable-damascus0002.jpg

2012_0511cable-damascus0003.jpg

2012_0511cable-damascus0005.jpg

2012_0511cable-damascus0007.jpg

2012_0511cable-damascus0008.jpg

2012_0511cable-damascus0009.jpg

2012_0511cable-damascus0011.jpg

2012_0511cable-damascus0012.jpg

2012_0511cable-damascus0016.jpg

2012_0511cable-damascus0017.jpg

well i rushed it abit and its now been normalised x3 and sat in the forge anealing off for the proper grind and some holes . i was pleased to see some patternation as is , i did think that it would probably be invisable until heat treated !!

weird little miniature bowie /clip point hunter thing .

its not strictly "easier" than normal damascus but its deffo faster . just eats flux!!!!

i had fun any way even if the mrs looks like the fantom of the opera , not really .

• Like 2

good pattern int it ?

bit snake skin like , good new is is faster to make than normal masucs so cheaper ha ha but i dont have much and when its gone its gone bit like aldi .

if any of you ever find this stuff let me know please , it cant have any sort of galvernised finnish or zinc there all toxic as f**k so i cant use them , but anything with bitchamin or rust is good .

any old files would be good to or wood saw like the hand held ones from B&Q . iv got 20 od kilos of knickel steel on its way so need the carbon dark contrast steel now .

all the best , matt.

i work in agriculture and come across a lot of old metal machinery. . we have an old bench with asorted old files and misc. stuff lying around. do you ever travel up around mid scotland? and what other old stuff is usefull. yis. cs

they all sound usful !! i have no idea what a buck rake tine is tho ?

i think its called shear steel for that sort of thing !!

i never travel ha ha . to on my arse and the car is not the best !!

maybe other ways to get it tho !

thanks fellas , iv just heat treated it with a couple of bushcrafters im doing , and it needs more normalising in future its warped a bit but nothing i cant fix . all the those twists want to undo at critical heat , and because they cant the metal gets super stressed and warps . alot of grinding and a destress/ sensative temper will sort that out .

all done no warps , and reckon it looks great !! its pissing sharp to .

forsale7.jpg

forsale6.jpg

forsale5.jpg

forsale4.jpg

forsale3.jpg

forsale2.jpg

forsale.jpg

no warps now and its got a really good grind , and superb temper , i really do like it , its not easy to photo . any one that bought it would see what i mean its a 3d effect you need to see in your own hands !!

• Like 1