Thinking about applying for FAC

looking at the cost of a rimmi, then it would be a cheaper option than a FAC Air. and i do need to upgrade..... just not sure the best approach with getting a FAC.

I originally got fac air, then I thought it made more sense to go rimmie for the extra range and much more energy and bullet expansion.

FAC air does have its place, but I think if you've already got a 12fpe airgun, that plus a rimfire gives you more range coverage IMO.

I'm sure fac air has its place, but I've yet to come across a circumstance where I've thought 'If only I had an FAC air rifle for this task'.I can't help but feel that if I had FAC air instead of rimfire, there'd be times I'd be thinking 'wish I had a bit more range/muzzle energy'.

Just my opinion of course.

I would be thinking along the same lines as the others,

Go for an FAC Air and a .22LR with a moderator. There is nothing to say you have to buy an FAC Air if you don't want to, but having the option is always good.

As for distance, the .22LR is in capable hands able to reach beyond the 100 yard mark but just under a hundred is its bread and butter territory.

The ricochet will always be a problem with sub-sonic .22LR but so long as you know where the livestock is and you shoot away from it you'll minimise any risk.

The mentoring conditions that seem to be appearing all over the place are in no way a legal requirement under the Firearms Act(s) and if they refused your FAC application on the grounds that you didn't have a mentor they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. Slightly technical, but the only legal aspect of mentoring is the conditions that Chief Constables have the power to impose on an FAC holder, however these HAVE to be necessary and proportionate. In a lot of circumstances they are not and are merely a matter of routine.

SS :thumbs:

100 acres.

I would definately be thinking about a 22 rimmy. I use fac air for enclosed areas but the rimmy rules on open ground.

CZ452 with a parker hale moderator. simple cheap and the best . Easy

So you guys think i should put on my application an -

FAC Air & 22.LR with Mod.

its ok to apply for two, on your first app ?

you can apply for as many as you have the land and quarry for, i would add 17hmr and mod to the list aswell mate, youve got 5 years to get one :thumbs:

I also would go for a 22 rimmy a air rifles a handy tool even a FAC one but a rimmy comes into it own with the price of ammo and what you can shoot if you get vermin etc on your ticket

What do you mean "you can apply for as many as you have the land and quarry for, i would add 17hmr and mod to the list aswell mate, youve got 5 years to get one :thumbs:"

can you not apply at a later date for a 17hmr ?

What do you mean "you can apply for as many as you have the land and quarry for, i would add 17hmr and mod to the list aswell mate, youve got 5 years to get one :thumbs:"

can you not apply at a later date for a 17hmr ?

yes but will cost you another £26

As Paulus and others have said, when you put in your application you can put down as many calibres as you have a good reason to possess. Once you have your licence you can then apply for a variation, its the same form as the original application but you don't need to give further refferences or proof of land.

As has been said the variation will cost you a further £26 and you can apply for as many further calibres as you can demonstrate a good reason for owning.

With regards your other thread concerning mentoring, you could always think of joining a local rifle club so you can get some experience and they can then vouch for your knowledge and safe handling of firearms. I have always been a game & vermin shooter but I recently joined my local rifle club.I have found that not only has my shooting improved as you get a chance to fire as many shots as I like in daylight and perfect conditions without bothering your friendly farmer/stable owner but you meet some nice people who have a wealth of knowledge. Because of it I am about to start reloading, something I never thought I would do.

A quick googling gave me the following:

http://www.bcra.co.uk/

and:

http://www.marlowrifle.com/

I would go and have a look at them and talk to some members, I would however warn that some target shooters can be a bit, well, geeky.

I hope that helps, if I were you I would get the forms in as soon as you can as it can be a VERY long wait (not sure what your areas like)

ATB

Jonno

Edited by JonathanKent

As Paulus and others have said, when you put in your application you can put down as many calibres as you have a good reason to possess. Once you have your licence you can then apply for a variation, its the same form as the original application but you don't need to give further refferences or proof of land.

As has been said the variation will cost you a further £26 and you can apply for as many further calibres as you can demonstrate a good reason for owning.

With regards your other thread concerning mentoring, you could always think of joining a local rifle club so you can get some experience and they can then vouch for your knowledge and safe handling of firearms. I have always been a game & vermin shooter but I recently joined my local rifle club.I have found that not only has my shooting improved as you get a chance to fire as many shots as I like in daylight and perfect conditions without bothering your friendly farmer/stable owner but you meet some nice people who have a wealth of knowledge. Because of it I am about to start reloading, something I never thought I would do.

A quick googling gave me the following:

http://www.bcra.co.uk/

and:

http://www.marlowrifle.com/

I would go and have a look at them and talk to some members, I would however warn that some target shooters can be a bit, well, geeky.

I hope that helps, if I were you I would get the forms in as soon as you can as it can be a VERY long wait (not sure what your areas like)

ATB

Jonno

I'd second that Jon,

I'd never been that interested in shooting Targets until my time has been restricted as to when I go shooting so that coupled with unpredictable weather means few shooting days, but I can go to shoot targets in any weather indoors.

I've just put a variation in now for a few different rifles, gallery mainly just for fun.

JMJ - Its worth joining even if only for 12 months to improve your shooting and build your knowledge, plus plinking can be just plain good fun.

SS :thumbs:

P.S. as Jon said, beware of the geek factor!