Retrieving Issues

Hey, ive got a little bed/whippet x collie/grey ive done all the basic commands sit stay etc etc but the retrieving just isnt going well i take her to the field every day and throw the ball shell run and get it no problem but she doesnt come back no matter how much i encourage her then when she does come back she just runs around you then just drops it about 3ft away can anyone help with advice of how i can change this shes just turned 6 month old. thankyou

Edited by NaTiiVe

Hey, ive got a little bed/whippet x collie/grey ive done all the basic commands sit stay etc etc but the retrieving just isnt going well i take her to the field every day and throw the ball shell run and get it no problem but she doesnt come back no matter how much i encourage her then when she does come back she just runs around you then just drops it about 3ft away can anyone help with advice of how i can change this shes just turned 6 month old. thankyou

do a search on here pal loads of great advice on previous posts from lads/ lasses on this site im sure you will find some usefull info atb sesku ( skycat gave me a great article on tug training)

The first thing you dont do is panic bud, she's young,

Potential energy is a huge motivational tool when working with a dog, that means the captured energy in the ball is captured when the ball is caught, and with no more energy coming from you only the desperate sound of panic in your voice calling her in ,you are of no energy value to the pup,

The trick is to make yourself into an action figure, like a good midfielder where all the action on the field flows through you, for this you will need a couple of items on your person which will become potential energy to be throw for the mutt,

You see its not the item that the emphases should be on, but you,

before you launch an item place yourself in the middle of the area, throw one and when she pick's it up make a huge fuss of the other item in your hand , throw it round ,bounce it, make sure she see's it because thats the potential energy you want her to desire,

Hopefully she will come running to you with the first, ,but it dont matter really bout the first at the minute, as soon as she comes into your space throw the second and grab up the first,

and so it goes on , its the coming into your space that causes the excitement to happen, when you get to a stage that the pup will have to bring in the first to get you to throw the second and being in your space causes it to happen for the pup without calling or praise you become the center of attention not the item,

best of luck

Edited by Casso
  • Like 3

I have had a similar situation with my pup..with me it was a case of moving too far too soon..i had a rough idea in my head what was going on but i asked the advice of a knowledgable man on here and it confirmed my thought's..

You need to stop the retrieving work out in the field and get back to basic's in your home and garden..pick a point where he like's to run ie through the door into the house or kennel and concentrate on the retrieving in that area...you must not allow her to run around you.. a alley way like suggested is a good spot too if you have one..

Keep the training session's as a game and a game only and stop at the slightest loss of interest..don't get angry in any way and alway's praise for the good result's..

They is a lot to mention but if you do a search on here i am sure you will find load's of answer's too your small teething problem.. :thumbs: .

• Like 3

I have had a similar situation with my pup..with me it was a case of moving too far too soon..i had a rough idea in my head what was going on but i asked the advice of a knowledgable man on here and it confirmed my thought's..

You need to stop the retrieving work out in the field and get back to basic's in your home and garden..pick a point where he like's to run ie through the door into the house or kennel and concentrate on the retrieving in that area...you must not allow her to run around you.. a alley way like suggested is a good spot too if you have one..

Keep the training session's as a game and a game only and stop at the slightest loss of interest..don't get angry in any way and alway's praise for the good result's..

They is a lot to mention but if you do a search on here i am sure you will find load's of answer's too your small teething problem.. :thumbs: .

do i give the dog a reward when im in the alley or just lots of praise

i found the tug training brilliant the game is the whole process but the center of the exitement is the tug and the retrieve simply becomes a means to re enter the most exiting part of the game . the best part is the bond building the result is a dog that retrieves right into the palm of your hand but when you see the look in your dogs eyes i think you will see its more then that. look it up think it will work for you . there are rules to it so look it up first

As in a reward do you mean treat's..treat's on this subject are a bit off a taboo and can cause the dog to do the opposite of your problem an drop short of a retrieve..you can't beat load's of childish praise in my eye's for something good...just train the pup where knowone can hear you as you will sound a right nutter if you do it right.. :D

As in a reward do you mean treat's..treat's on this subject are a bit off a taboo and can cause the dog to do the opposite of your problem an drop short of a retrieve..you can't beat load's of childish praise in my eye's for something good...just train the pup where knowone can hear you as you will sound a right nutter if you do it right.. :D

ok thanks alot i think this might help as i do have a gennal between my house with agate at ether end so i can go in there and practice and ok ill keep the treats out as ive notices that she does drop short once she notices i have a treatin my hand thanks alot

i found the tug training brilliant the game is the whole process but the center of the exitement is the tug and the retrieve simply becomes a means to re enter the most exiting part of the game . the best part is the bond building the result is a dog that retrieves right into the palm of your hand but when you see the look in your dogs eyes i think you will see its more then that. look it up think it will work for you . there are rules to it so look it up first

i was going to try this but i cant seem to find anything she is intrested in tugging she just wants me to throw it shed get it but wouldnt retrieve

Also try running away from her into the house once she has picked the toy/dummy up and praise her all the way aswell as making load's of good daft noise..

• Like 2