No such thing as a free meal..Try this.!

Hi chap's..Since joining THL Iv noticed one or two post's on how to gain permission.

In my kneck of the wood's... there's no such thing as a "Free Meal". Gaing permission can be quite difficult if your not known or seen on a regular basis in the old country lane's. For a young lad trying to gain permission can be even harder, so Im suggesting this before you go asking to shoot your Air rifle around farmer's land and live stock.

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Moleing is difficult when you dont know how, but with a little practice and some sound advice it can be very rewarding to both you and your reputation around the countryside. Like I say..there's no such thing as a free meal so learning to catch the mole can be used as a goodwill jesture to farmer's and land owner's in your area. When you get good at it you can make a few quid aswell. If you think because you live in a city this advise is no use to you, well think again..theres plenty of domestic proprtye's or even school fields that have mole infestation's.

All you need is a few mole traps, spade and a cane or metel bar for probing around for the tunnels and a little bag to carry your moleing tool's around with.

Try setting yourself a record to see how many moles you get in a year, and try beating your own or even your mate's record the following year.

You get seen around doing a very helpfull job and the shooting permission will follow with ease... as long as your seen to be being respectabe and helpfull.

Just a thought that came to me this morning while i was out setting a few myself.

Good luck

Atb

Marty.

Edited by Probuk

all looks very new and shinny :laugh: i did it years ago when i moved to this village, i still do the moles in the church and graveyard you would be surprised how many land owners go to church or are connected in some way :whistling:

I did double take when I saw your pic as it look just like my kit :thumbs: - is the trowel from Wilko and where did u get the Talpex traps from? I totally agree that this is a great way to get permission and have done the same myself. Do a good job for the farmer and catch the moles for free (show him your catch) then build on the relationship. Maybe even give him at hand at harvest time when he is busy and up against the weather when trying to get a crop in. You will reap your rewards.

atb

Dave.

all looks very new and shinny :laugh: i did it years ago when i moved to this village, i still do the moles in the church and graveyard you would be surprised how many land owners go to church or are connected in some way :whistling:

Teated myself to some new trap's :thumbs: Let's put it this it wont take long for them to get weatherd in this weather where having up this way..Its diabolica and iv just spent the last hour looking for my wallet in the fields i was in lastnight...found it between two bits of permission by the fence i got over :whistling:

Marty

Teated myself to some new trap's :thumbs: Let's put it this it wont take long for them to get weatherd in this weather where having up this way..Its diabolica and iv just spent the last hour looking for my wallet in the fields i was in lastnight...found it between two bits of permission by the fence i got over :whistling:

Marty

if you take your gun out early morning you will be able to shoot them swimming on the top of the grass after the worms :laugh:

I did double take when I saw your pic as it look just like my kit :thumbs: - is the trowel from Wilko and where did u get the Talpex traps from? I totally agree that this is a great way to get permission and have done the same myself. Do a good job for the farmer and catch the moles for free (show him your catch) then build on the relationship. Maybe even give him at hand at harvest time when he is busy and up against the weather when trying to get a crop in. You will reap your rewards.

atb

Dave.

Got those traps off a site called primrose i think but got a few off fleabay in the past..Troul was B&Q.

Well in my oppinion with permission hard to come by for the younger generation..I recon this is a good way in.

Atb

Edited by Probuk
  • Like 1

Great post, Probuk. I got moles out back right here in the city, and would love to have someone who knows how catch them.

It's a bit difficult and frustrating at times but once you get the hang of it, its not to bad. you can leave the traps from an hour upto a week...Its good to know someone that can take you out and show you first hand the best ways to set the traps. I guess the rest is upto luck.

Marty

if you take your gun out early morning you will be able to shoot them swimming on the top of the grass after the worms :laugh:

Done that a few times on my mates dad's farm with 12G...makes a mess but does the trick

I was expecting maybe one or two young lads to reply...with" hey good idea"!!.

But I guess when your bearly old enough to wipe your own arse...All you want to do is play Cowboy's and Indian or The Sniper :laugh:

Hey good idea !! oh no wait,,,I`m 44 ! shit lol

I`ll be mole trapping this summer to keep me busy and to try it for the first time, Will also be doing the Lantra courses on rodents.

Nice Kayak Probuck, I`ve got the same one.

The sevylor yukon.. Thats a recent photo on coniston lake..it was pritty windy, i got soaked in the back while the missis was all dry in the front :huh:

Im planning kayaking the lakes and sleeping out on a few island's with the missis. Its a well balanced thing. :thumbs: