I.W.T.F. (CLUB) and clubs....

In the bigger scheme of things itd be very interesting to know why almost every other country in Europe has more freedom to hunt with terriers rather copying countries which have the least.

Bryan

An opinion for what it's worth....

In most other countries in Europe (and elswhere eg USA) hunting is more regulated than in the UK. By "regulated" I mean its normally carried out under some form of license and in accordance with laid down rules and codes of conduct. Those that don't play by the book lose their right to hunt and standards of behaviour tend to be higher (I've hunted in Germany, Sweden, Finland, USA, Canada and seen it first hand, I've also visited several countries where the same thing applies). It's also important to bear in mind that although in certain countries there may be less restrictions on terrier work, there are far more restrictions on the use of hounds. There are of course also some European countries were virtually everything (except shooting and fishing) is banned eg Holland.

At a purely personal level I think licensing and regulation has much to commend it, I've seen it in operation in several countries and never found it to be restrictive. It also has the significant advantage that when the licenses are a sizeable source of Government revenue, goverments need to think very hard before closing that kind of income.

Unfortunately in the UK we operate differently. In terms of hunting with dogs we have very few formally laid down rules and codes of conduct, and where they do occur they are in the main voluntary. As a result standards of "field behaviour" tend to vary widely and those at the bottom end of the scale give our opponents all the ammunition they need to justify an outright ban.

Interestingly enought, the orginal Hunting Act as proposed by the then Labour Government did not seek to ban hunting with dogs, merely to regulate it. The problem was the size of the hoops you were forced to jump through in order to hunt made it virtually impossible. However that Bill was amended by Labour back benchers who viewed "a ban on hunting with dogs" as being totemic and that's why we're where we are today.

J.M.H.O. - Barrie

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 1

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The very genuine air of camaraderie on this thread comes across loud and clear, it’s a far cry from the THL of old and long may it continue to be that way.   The IWTF has already shown in a very sho

Barrie, camaraderie would be an understatement. The room for the meeting on Sunday was pre-paid for by one lad out of his own pocket at considerable expence. At the close of the meeting EVERYONE tha

l

Posted Images

Stop.end done more harm to himself in a couple of days,than anyone could do in a lifetime.

How can anyone take this guy seriously?

How can anyone take your view seriously? Seeing you have popped up from the beginning off this year with no input whatsoever. or did you go under another username beforehand.

Thanks for your support. Atb

I was involved in a small working terrier club 25 years ago in Cork Ireland.

Small worked well because every member was vouched for.

Only people who were interested in real terrier work were involved.

Not everyone who has a terrier pup can join. 2 years before you find out they are ANTI.

JMO but If you are going to start a working terrier federation.

You need to put in protections for these small clubs, from the attacks from head cases like Phillpot and his kind.

i.e. No members names lists. Just club names. The clubs pay contributions to the Federation to fund any media campaigns.

The federation could reach out to All hunting, Shooting, Angling and Country groups for support.

They will need all the help they can muster to take on the ANTI's smears.

I would support any federation that is trying to protect terrier work.

But until the image of terrier work has been clarified with the general public and the ANTI's move on their next money spinning cause.

I will protect my kennel and close circle of friends until that day arrives.

ATB

P3D

• Like 7

I was involved in a small working terrier club 25 years ago in Cork Ireland.

Small worked well because every member was vouched for.

Only people who were interested in real terrier work were involved.

Not everyone who has a terrier pup can join. 2 years before you find out they are ANTI.

JMO but If you are going to start a working terrier federation.

You need to put in protections for these small clubs, from the attacks from head cases like Phillpot and his kind.

i.e. No members names lists. Just club names. The clubs pay contributions to the Federation to fund any media campaigns.

The federation could reach out to All hunting, Shooting, Angling and Country groups for support.

They will need all the help they can muster to take on the ANTI's smears.

I would support any federation that is trying to protect terrier work.

But until the image of terrier work has been clarified with the general public and the ANTI's move on their next money spinning cause.

I will protect my kennel and close circle of friends until that day arrives.

ATB

P3D

your exactly right... look i know a lot of yous dont know me and are probably jumping to all mad conclusions.... i have showed these to the proper appropriete men who actually have EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE and have dedicated many years of there lives to there clubs or federations... they all have said that it was a v good job.... so maybe everybody should wait to see what its about before jumping and shouting stuff without even having a clue what is being proposed.... jmho :thumbs:

"The hand can't hit what the eye we can't see"

I'm not so sure that Ireland need to follow how things have been done with clubs , organisations and federations in Britain. Ireland had many terrier clubs in the 60's and 70's and an all island association but they were more instrumental in causing a ban on badger digging than anyone else.

Ireland has been more successful at preserving the rights to hunt with terriers than any of the British nations? Maybe people should look at why Ireland has been more successful?

It's easy to be dismissive of a perceived Irish simplicity in all things and blind to their effectiveness.

Michael Hutchins came to cork 20 years ago to organise hunt saboteurs but ended up hospitalised and Cork without Sabs.

John Tierney brought 21 hard line Sabs from England to Waterford, one was arrested 20 were hospitalised. Waterford has no Sabs.

There has always been strong opposition to hunting in Ireland the RSPCA was formed at the same time as anywhere else but never given the same influence, a huntsman sits on at least one of its boards. The Green party in 2 governments gained no ground on terriers, but mobilised a very strong Ad Hoc hunting lobby.

In the bigger scheme of things itd be very interesting to know why almost every other country in Europe has more freedom to hunt with terriers rather copying countries which have the least.

Bryan

bryan dont belive everything you here there wernt 20 hospitalised in waterford and wheres tierney from waterford with a few more sabs im all for any federation starting up.but how do you stop the idiots with big mounths joining and thats not directed at anyone.anyone can put a name and address of another member on this forum for all to see just got back from a show 3 of my brothers dogs robbed from his house in broad daylight Edited by tiger woods

Stop.end done more harm to himself in a couple of days,than anyone could do in a lifetime.

Your last input to this site was to say Townies wreck the countryside and dont have a clue about digging or back filling.So what exactly is your agenda here.

Your last input to this site was to say Townies wreck the countryside and dont have a clue about digging or back filling.So what exactly is your agenda here.

Never said that about Townies.

I did say,townies should stay ta f**k away from the country,walk the streets with your dogs.

There wouldnt be a word about working terriers if townies never got involved.

Never said that about Townies.
I did say,townies should stay ta f**k away from the country,walk the streets with your dogs.
There wouldnt be a word about working terriers if townies never got involved.
Edited by stop.end

I dont clam to be an astounding terrierman.

But i think your a stupid cnut.

Them 25 years,should of been spent playing pool or some other form of townie entertainment.

Its townies that f****d it up for everyone,they dont have a clue!

What can you tell me about farming/beef/milk/suckling?

The answer is f**k all.Your a cockey,townie,loud mouth,what business is it of yours?

Edited by Tayto

Them 25 years,should of been spent playing pool or some other form of townie entertainment.

The answer is f**k all.Your a cockey,townie,loud mouth,what business is it of yours?

HA HA HA What a load of shit!!
  • Like 1

:icon_eek: FFS the lad is trying to get a club started so stand by him rather than grief him

Myself and Stopend have had our fair share of slagging matchs over this site ,but thats all it is a bit of slagging and banter but he has being working flat out to get this org off the ground and i will give him my full backing and everyone else i have spoke to on the matter is the same,I am born and bred in Dublin but one half of my mothers family where tenant farmers for the Laylaws in the Kells and Navan area of Co Meath and i remember being out there as a kid and they kenneled a few pairs of hounds for the hunt,the other half where sheep farmers from Co Wicklow ,and it was my grandfather that got me interested in terriers ,he used to keep wheatens,kerryblues fox terriers and jackrussells ,and on my Father's side one half where cattle farmers and bred Irish Draught horses in Co Wexford and the other half where Italian but i won't go into that,

But i have had dogs and horse's all my life and i used to hunt with with a mounted pack,but on more than one occaision when it came up in conversation that i kept lurchers the response i got was oh them knackers dogs,which really pissed me off because i knew having a strong Dublin accent and keeping "knackers" dogs a certain few thought i didn't belong there,

I love hunting in all forms and this org should bring us all together to keep it ,there is enough anti groups out there trying to stop it,so lets stick together,theres nothing wrong with a bit of slagging but don't be trying to belittle each other and make one group look bad and pointing out each others faults.

Sorry if i went on a bit but rant over,lets make this work

:thumbs:

Your really trying to separate the factions aren't ye,if you want townie's not to have any thing to do with hunting,you will have an auful lot more people on the side of the antis,

realistically there is properly more people from cities and towns that hunt than the country,and do a much needed service for plenty of people that keep stock :censored:

Edited by lurcher330
  • Like 1