Hagler vs Hearns. Best opening round ever?

Guest bezza

Guest bezza

I've just been listening to Steve Bunce on 5 live talking about this fight. I didn't realise Hearns had fought with a broken hand from the second round on.

This for me is the best opening round I've ever seen. I can remember watching it live on the box and the hairs on the back of my neck stuck up. Talk about testosterone fuelled.

Can anybody post an opening round to match it?

we truly lived in the greatest area of boxing

THOMAS HIT MAN HEARNS

MARVERLOUS MARVIN HAGLER

SURGAR RAY LEONARD

ROBERTO DURAN

SURELY THE GREATEST FOUR BOXERS TO CONTEST THREE WIGHT DIVISIONS AT ONE TIME

WILL NEVER BE REPEATED

Edited by gonetoearth
  • Like 1

i think he broke it in the first round, when he rocked Hagler with a right? Credit to Hearns, he never brings this up as an excuse for losing.

if you like this era I can recommend a book call "Four Kings", really good read.

Bezza, are you sure it was on live? I recall it being midweek and waking up early and listening to the radio to find out who won, it was shown on ITV that night in the UK?

BTW the old Reg Gutteridge/Jim Watt commentaries were great.

some classic fights above :thumbs:. I had Tommy odds on to win that one in some private bets.. big mistake mixing it with Hagler.

this was Leonard giving Hagler a master class in Boxing. round 9 saw Leonard throw some classic combinations just when Hagler thought he had worn him down and there for the taking :notworthy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5jUDE9mIXM

some classic fights above :thumbs:. I had Tommy odds on to win that one in some private bets.. big mistake mixing it with Hagler.

this was Leonard giving Hagler a master class in Boxing. round 9 saw Leonard throw some classic combinations just when Hagler thought he had worn him down and there for the taking :notworthy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5jUDE9mIXM

what great boxer he was, next to Ali he as to be the best pound for pound boxer of all time, fast hands and power as well sugar ray Brill :yes: