Has anyone ever gone ferreting with a pet store bought ferret?

Our lass fell in love with one from the pet shop so muggings had too buy it for her turned out too be a good little worker but it's 50/50 realy just be careful tho cos most don't feed them right the pet shop I got one from fed wet cat food

Edited by Ferret mad Dave

I got to jills last year they had been pets worked them last season and they were slow to start of with then after a while the just took to it like a duck to water soon as they get into it they should be ok ATB no1 ;)

It's nothing like the same as the dog game! Loads of dogs would be pretty useless at working. Most ferrets will work to some degree, I'd say it's a much higher than 50% chance of a pet ferret turning into a half decent worker. As long as you get it fit enough it'll bolt rabbits for you, and the more practice it gets the better it will get.

• Like 1

They will all hunt to some point a working ferret from working stock is just better suited to the game the hawk people have a word for it when the bird is just right . I have herd of taking a litter near some holes putting them on the floor to see which go to ground and which dont . They will all do better after a year or two in the field

It's nothing like the same as the dog game! Loads of dogs would be pretty useless at working. Most ferrets will work to some degree, I'd say it's a much higher than 50% chance of a pet ferret turning into a half decent worker. As long as you get it fit enough it'll bolt rabbits for you, and the more practice it gets the better it will get.

most ferrets will work, if stumbling throo a warren bolting bunnys on scent alone is classed as working, i have had a few ferrets over the years that were crap, even tho they were given every opportunity, like everything, theres crap uns, good uns, an great uns... :thumbs:

Edited by reddawn