according to our resident springer expert pianoman, the '77 is as good as it gets with a springer, and it'd be my first choice too since it practically ruled the field target world for years before pcp's were king. heavy, reliable and accurate, and built like a mk4 panzer.

not so keen on a 95 personally, but only cos its too light for my tastes.

cheers, wurz

edited to say- the lightnings not in the same league mate, if you can, i'd go german all day unless a tx200 or pro sport comes up

Thank you John. Put's it very succinctly.

Benjamin, HW97 is a top spec. underlever spring rifle.

No question. Buy one of these and you have a seriously accurate field hunting rifle; whichever calibre you prefer.

However, the HW77 is the rifle on which the HW97 is based. The difference is in the 97's shorter barrel length and lock-up (with integral muzzlebrake) Plus there are some really nice stock design options. (some of which, I think, will fit the HW77)

The HW77 is, by comparison, still the most "plain Jane", unadorned underlever you can buy. The factory stocks are chequered at the grip, made of nicely-figured beechwood and has an attractive white spacer at the butt-plate and another at the grip-cap and that's about it really...

But its reliable, precision accuracy will take your breath away :yes: . Nothing I've owned before, or still own and shoot with yet, has emerged in spring piston technology that will honestly out-match the HW77. :toast:

Get your hold technique right and this rifle will never let you down. :thumbs:

Good luck with your final choice but, I know which my money would be on.

Simon/Pianoman

Edited by pianoman
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 95K .22 and a 77 .22 and they're both fine rifles. The 95 has a Vortek kit is putting out 16-17 ft lbs with FTT, and the 77 with a JM kit doing the same give or take a ft lb. Both amazingly accurate and don't think I could part with either. I don't think you can make a wrong choice on this one bud. :)