DEFRA Snare Report

120-2 I'm not being nasty here, but what's the recent article in the shooting times about pushing this GWCT Super snare you make...

gwctsnare.jpg

£3.30 each it looks like a monstrosity.. relaxing eye,weak link, stop, tealer attachment, tealer, swivels, crimps, d shackles :blink:

I have no idea why people cannot set or use a normal fox snare, with a stop on it in the correct place so your not accidentally targeting deer, fair enough in runs put swivels on them, but its very easy to make your own... It seems with all this swivel,breakaway,super nonsense there's some idiots going to come up with all this shit has to be mandatory, which in my mind, is ludicrous, then there's the point about everyone has to go on a snaring course to be legal. Its getting pretty pathetic.

120-2 I'm not being nasty here, but what's the recent article in the shooting times about pushing this GWCT Super snare you make...

post-1-0-10294700-1332872361.jpg

£3.30 each it looks like a monstrosity.. relaxing eye,weak link, stop, tealer attachment, tealer, swivels, crimps, d shackles :blink:

I have no idea why people cannot set or use a normal fox snare, with a stop on it in the correct place so your not accidentally targeting deer, fair enough in runs put swivels on them, but its very easy to make your own... It seems with all this swivel,breakaway,super nonsense there's some idiots going to come up with all this shit has to be mandatory, which in my mind, is ludicrous, then there's the point about everyone has to go on a snaring course to be legal. Its getting pretty pathetic.

Spot on :victory:

I honestly belive that snaring is at risk in the uk and so any advances in snaring are more than welcome if they help to protect and safeguard its future so, (in my opinion) to publisise a "modern" snare isnt a bad thing if it helps steer people away from the older,in- humane fox snares we so often see in the press....,I recently approached pro trapper at a show and explained this type of snare wasent to my liking, this was all took in good spirit and it ended up with me purchasing all the consumables i need along with a few usefull tips being given to help me with the production of my own wires and setting / anchoring... In brief i think that its good that well made snares are available to those that dont make there own regardless of there type or manufacturer....Cost wise glen showed us how as individuals we can make our own quality snares at a reasonable price but i also understand that the cost of consumables is soaring and all buisnesses have to make a profit to survive.... I havent formed an opinion on the available snaring courses yet :blink:

Edited by heritage
  • Like 1

IMO I shouldn't say this as an Admin of a hunting site, snares are designed to be simple, they are killing the act of snaring, some may profit from legislation they want in place, snaring courses for someone to be legal, they are making it harder for anyone to be involved in snaring at all, along with these pathetic breakaway bollocks, if a hare can pull out a fox can..its junk.. Anyway, if they go down this route, they may as well ban the lot..Sad state of affairs, but there's too many profit merchants, do gooders and do sweet fa's involved..

I couldn't agree more on the subject and if you look at my older posts you'll see that, much like yourself I prefer the simpler wire, I don't use breakaways or stops. If I snare something I expect to find it dead but I feel as though at some point people like us will either have to conform to this new legislation or pack in.......

Personally I do very little fox snaring nowadays, prefering instead to call and shoot or, on domestic jobs, to cage trap troublesome foxes. I too am of the opinion that snare manufacture has gone OTT, with so many added gadgets and gimmicks to cover every eventuality that you need a degree in animal psychology to even contemplate setting one. The turning point came when DEFRA in it's code of practise deemed the snare a holding device and not a killing device, this ruled out all the favoured trapping spots (like hedge run-throughs) where 90% of all catches were made (to avoid fatal entanglement). Any competent snarer should be able to set a wire to avoid the capture of non-target species, and in the case of badgers,can be set high enough to let old brock pass harmlessly underneath. Snares are simple devices and in the right hands are extremely effective, but I do think the Anti-Anything brigade will eventually get this useful weapon in the trappers armoury banned for use by Joe Public and only trappers who have been on approved training courses and are issued with a licence will be legally able to use them.

Snares are simple devices and in the right hands are extremely effective, but I do think the Anti-Anything brigade will eventually get this useful weapon in the trappers armoury banned for use by Joe Public and only trappers who have been on approved training courses and are issued with a licence will be legally able to use them.

YES YOUR RIGHT AND THE FECKIN INSTRUCTORS WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO TEACH YOU HOW TO SET WIRES KNOW FECK ALL THEMSELVES :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

• Like 3

IMO I shouldn't say this as an Admin of a hunting site, snares are designed to be simple, they are killing the act of snaring, some may profit from legislation they want in place, snaring courses for someone to be legal, they are making it harder for anyone to be involved in snaring at all, along with these pathetic breakaway bollocks, if a hare can pull out a fox can..its junk.. Anyway, if they go down this route, they may as well ban the lot..Sad state of affairs, but there's too many profit merchants, do gooders and do sweet fa's involved..

You've ht the nail squarely on the head :yes: .

As usual these people seem to easily forget the KISS principal :angry:

Snares are simple devices and in the right hands are extremely effective, but I do think the Anti-Anything brigade will eventually get this useful weapon in the trappers armoury banned for use by Joe Public and only trappers who have been on approved training courses and are issued with a licence will be legally able to use them.

YES YOUR RIGHT AND THE FECKIN INSTRUCTORS WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO TEACH YOU HOW TO SET WIRES KNOW FECK ALL THEMSELVES :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

and not just instructors for wires ;)
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just thought I'd put my twopenneth in re snaring. Up here in Scotland the new snaring guide is law. Rolfe has it right, the snare is a device to hold a target animal only. The emphasis upon a more professional approach to snaring has come about because in the lonely wilderness up here, snares have for years been set anywhere and everywhere. Some did not get checked very often at all and realistically every one set was intended to kill whatever went in it (that's what we all did, wasn't it) .

There is open access up here so people can wander about at will; with just about everyone in the country having a 'phone with a camera on it, there has been loads of pics uploaded to the internet of dead foxes and badgers hung on fences or drowned in streams or strangled around a pole, tongue out etc. Ultimately our situation will become law in England & Wales brfore too long.

Do yourselves a favour and get on a course, (NGO or BASC), adopt the new "rules" regarding placement of the snare (no need to use the GWCT snare, an extra swivel on a normal snare makes a hell of difference); and then upload pics of caught foxes held by the snare.

It was explained to me like this.......if a scientist can catch a fox unharmed in a snare set, then take blood samples, weigh it blah,blah, fit a radio collar, blah blah, then release it back into the wild and then follow it; why can't we, as professional 'keepers and trappers do the same?

Up here, we shoot foxes. Sometimes they are in a snare, sometimes bolted, sometimes dug to, sometimes lamped. :D

To keep snares as a legal tool we have to be able show the anti's how good we are at using them.

Cheers everyone.

• Like 1

think them new type snares are a bit shit lol,just another attempt to rob from people..its a pity they been designed and made by people who never had any real knowledge of fox snaring, maybe the odd one on a fence line etc..i can make a good type, a type that meets my needs on some land i use,, make other types that work best at other land i use.a snare is above all a wire noose, ok add stop etc but the simpler it is the better it performs.. and as woodga said on here courses from men who know f**k all ,,that's so true ,but that's the case often now with many self appointed experts out there,set a web site up, set up a few videos to add and bingo ,, you get all the gullible people lined up to be robbed by you..all this type of change will do is make people go underground in the sence they go about what they do best without the hassle and shit of others knowing,, and i guess on sites where so many people from the other side looking in i can understand why.