hunting pigeon

Woodies are also not smart, in fact they are extreamly dumb! :yes:

They do however see in the ultraviolate spectrum :yes: and the human skin reflects UV very very well :yes:

If you move and your skin is not covered, they will see it as movement and do what most wild birds and animals do, run/fly for their life.

You can use a UV pen however to bring woodies to you :yes: do a search and I tell you how in a thread posted a long time ago :)

Tony

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Head or between the shoulder blades from behind. I've seen too many fly off to die later when someone shoots them into the chest from the front. With the headshots, you either kill em clean or clean

chill out lads no need for bickering on here were all in the same boat lets stick together eh?

LOL .   This is how you kill pigeons well .     Si.

tony i rekon your a sound guy and i have no beef with you, but i didnt say i regularly shoot for the chest..

at the start of my 'shooting career' i wasnt as confident/good so i went for chest shots..

i actually said iv had about 100-120 woodys over the years, and between 10-15 have been cheast shots.. that would leave the other 90-105 shots aimed at the head.

and only 2 have flown off from the chest shots..

these days after growing up a bit and been more responsible i dont go for the chest shots anymore. i dont want to injure things or cause suffering. i just want some nice food :)

peace out lads, all the best and happy hunting.

SKoT

tony i rekon your a sound guy and i have no beef with you, but i didnt say i regularly shoot for the chest..

I try to be good (most of the time)

peace out lads, all the best and happy hunting.

SKoT

Now your starting to sound like Chris :laugh:

Tony

• Like 1

hi ive just purchased an air arms s200 and gunna mainly go for wood pigeon ive been tild they are kinda tricky to kill anybody got any good tips do you have to take them with an headshot ?

to answer your question ben i only go for a head or kneck shot, woodys have a keen eye so its best to get yourself well hidden and only make slow movements keeping your face and hands coverd dont be in a rush to take the first bird that lands if its not a good clear shot as it will bring other birds in. the best time i find is a hour before dark but get yourself in positoin a couple of hours before dark and learn the limits of your gun and skills you will see alot of videos of 50yrd plus shot but you will never see the faild shot videos and anyone who is taking long shots with a sub 12 and says they never miss or injure is telling fibs

kanny

great advice thanks mate

nuff sed !!!

hi ive just purchased an air arms s200 and gunna mainly go for wood pigeon ive been tild they are kinda tricky to kill anybody got any good tips do you have to take them with an headshot ?

to answer your question ben i only go for a head or kneck shot, woodys have a keen eye so its best to get yourself well hidden and only make slow movements keeping your face and hands coverd dont be in a rush to take the first bird that lands if its not a good clear shot as it will bring other birds in. the best time i find is a hour before dark but get yourself in positoin a couple of hours before dark and learn the limits of your gun and skills you will see alot of videos of 50yrd plus shot but you will never see the faild shot videos and anyone who is taking long shots with a sub 12 and says they never miss or injure is telling fibs

kanny

Good advice Kanny,

However your wrong re the footage, well at least with the regs on here!

Si dedicated an entire video of some misses, both long and nominal ranges, Daz also shows misses as has Davy :yes:

SRT, yep a mighty fine rifle indeed, but unless FAC it still won't deliver the pellet with enough K.E to penatrate the muscle and the breastbone of an adult woody.

It was your claim to regularly shoot them in the chest directly to the heart or lungs that will wind up most people :yes:

Tony

NUFF SED!!! :victory:

lol''' folk arguing over the best way to kill a woodie. i'v shot hundreds. stone dead with a chest shot's. i head shot em aswell but not always. i shot fifty odd one night. all dead all heart lung shots. and dont think a head shot is guaranteed to kill instantly either. i remember shooting pigeons once ,dropped one head shot fell in thick cover took me a few minutes to find it and it was still alive,,pellet had gone straight threw both eyes. i had to neck it...

I only have have 1 sub 12 airgun diana mod 36 because it has its original spring since 1990.Other guns in my collection are way more powerful cause its legal in my area.If you don't hit a pigeon at the right place some time it will fly away even with the most powerful airguns .The key is accuracy .I did the last dove hunt of this season with diana 36 and used diana magnum pellets because it was doing very well in accuracy .The first pellet that i shot hit a dove a little low almost near leg it couldn't go far went to near by tree took another shot and it came down,Then got 3 head shots ,2 upper body shots ,1 miss and 1 takes the pellet and fly away.range between 35 to 45 yard.And i Always keep knife to cut the throat and all were alive even the head shots ones ,so i rain after every shot to finish them off.

LOL :laugh: .

This is how you kill pigeons well ;) .

Si.

credit where credit is due... amazing shot mate

respect :thumbs:

Understatement :yes:

I've seen and filmed some of Si's shots myself :yes: If they were shown, people just wouldn't believe they were possible!, Jeez we got enough stick when I was filming at the target end!! :doh:

Comments like "Why would anyone be stupid enough to stand in the path of the pellet blah blah blah!!"

The fact that the pellets struck the target, without having to punch a hole through me proved that I wasn't in the path :laugh: Yes I was close, and the camera angles made it look 'very' tight, but if I didn't have confidance in Si's marksmanship skills I would have been much further to the side :laugh:

Good job you had the confidence Tony.

Bigbenj21, buy a cheap set of gloves and a face veil, well worth investing in! Garlands single layer camo gloves at a tenner a pair? You can pick up a face veil for not a lot more...

thanks [bANNED TEXT] :thumbs: