hunting pigeon

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Head or between the shoulder blades from behind. I've seen too many fly off to die later when someone shoots them into the chest from the front. With the headshots, you either kill em clean or clean

chill out lads no need for bickering on here were all in the same boat lets stick together eh?

LOL .   This is how you kill pigeons well .     Si.

Head or between the shoulder blades from behind. I've seen too many fly off to die later when someone shoots them into the chest from the front.

With the headshots, you either kill em clean or clean miss, either way, nothing gets hurt.

• Like 2

theres a lot of muscle for the pellet to get through, and then theres the solid breast bone to get though. At legal limit, the air rifle often doesnt have enough power to penetrate that lot.

The bird often has enough energy to fly off and if its lucky, it bleeds to death within half an hour, if its unlucky it heals up enough to die of gangrene days or weeks later.

Headshots is best :thumbs:

out of probably 10-15 woodys ive gone for chest shot from the front, only 2 have flown off. and yes i know thats 2-too many, but i always try to get as close as i can with woodpigeons. upto about 30 yds is furthest id try shoot them. if im resting il always go for a headshot but sometimes theres nothing to rest on and i dont feel steady enough going for head then i go for chest/neck area. over the years ive probly had about 100-120 woodys so most of the time i do go for head..

Never shoot into the front chest area of an adult woody :nono: thats just plain irresponsible. Behind that huge mass of muscle is a breastbone shaped somewhat like a shield and it boody well acts like one as well. The strongest bone in it's body.

Upper neck, head, just behind and low of where the wing meets the body, or as Duncan said from behind into the chest. Will all produce a good clean kill.

Tony

saw this post and had to comment sorry.....

mr teale you tit.... firstly... head shot does not = the heart (as you stated)..... derrr!!!!!!!!. and secondly i have shot woodies at 55yds +( as ppl on here who have seen or have been shooting with me, or are better shots than me ).... woodies are not cheeky or crafty... u just have to be cleverer than them... maybe YOU just need specs to get a clearer shot or a better gun you plonker??? i am certainly no expert by any mewans but DONT give such advice( with only 38 posts) til you can manage a decent shot yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 30 yds lol lol you certainly wouldnt wanna shhot with the likes of me,zini, venomviper,wuzzy or phantom you plick!!!!!!!!!

mr teale you tit.... firstly... head shot does not = the heart (as you stated)..... derrr!!!!!!!!. and secondly i have shot woodies at 55yds +( as ppl on here who have seen or have been shooting with me, or are better shots than me ).... woodies are not cheeky or crafty... u just have to be cleverer than them... maybe YOU just need specs to get a clearer shot or a better gun you plonker??? i am certainly no expert by any mewans but DONT give such advice( with only 38 posts) til you can manage a decent shot yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 30 yds lol lol you certainly wouldnt wanna shhot with the likes of me,zini, venomviper,wuzzy or phantom you plick!!!!!!!!!

hi ive just purchased an air arms s200 and gunna mainly go for wood pigeon ive been tild they are kinda tricky to kill anybody got any good tips do you have to take them with an headshot ?

to answer your question ben i only go for a head or kneck shot, woodys have a keen eye so its best to get yourself well hidden and only make slow movements keeping your face and hands coverd dont be in a rush to take the first bird that lands if its not a good clear shot as it will bring other birds in. the best time i find is a hour before dark but get yourself in positoin a couple of hours before dark and learn the limits of your gun and skills you will see alot of videos of 50yrd plus shot but you will never see the faild shot videos and anyone who is taking long shots with a sub 12 and says they never miss or injure is telling fibs

kanny

ive got a hw97 isnt that in many peoples oppinions one of the best spring rifles ever made? and i want a pre charged again but its just finding enough money for all the divers bottles and all that stuff. im not made of money! lol

and so what if i dont want to shoot them further away than 30 yards, thats my personal choice and to be honest how far i feel comfortable shooting a target as small as a pigeons head. maybe after a few more months target shooting and practicing i will be shooting further than that. i havent been shooting properly for about 3 years so im just getting used to it again. and 30yds is plenty far enough. i could get them everyday at 10yds sat in my garden and on the roof, if it wasnt a built up area and my neighbours werent animal frikkin rights activists haha

also i wear glasses.. and yes i did goto specksavers lol :thumbs:

an yeh 30 odd posts so what?! i only joined this forum a couple of months ago, that doesnt mean i dont have 10 years shooting experience, it just means i arent a nerd :D

also if i had pre charged and bipod an all that shizz then i wudnt have to get close and i rekon 55 yds wudnt be a hard shot to make.

and when i said there crafty thats because as your moving trying to get close enough thats when they always fly off..

im not always just sat stil waiting for them i like to walk around and look for squirrels aswell, rather than just sitting waiting for pigeons.

hi ive just purchased an air arms s200 and gunna mainly go for wood pigeon ive been tild they are kinda tricky to kill anybody got any good tips do you have to take them with an headshot ?

to answer your question ben i only go for a head or kneck shot, woodys have a keen eye so its best to get yourself well hidden and only make slow movements keeping your face and hands coverd dont be in a rush to take the first bird that lands if its not a good clear shot as it will bring other birds in. the best time i find is a hour before dark but get yourself in positoin a couple of hours before dark and learn the limits of your gun and skills you will see alot of videos of 50yrd plus shot but you will never see the faild shot videos and anyone who is taking long shots with a sub 12 and says they never miss or injure is telling fibs

kanny

Good advice Kanny,

However your wrong re the footage, well at least with the regs on here!

Si dedicated an entire video of some misses, both long and nominal ranges, Daz also shows misses as has Davy :yes:

SRT, yep a mighty fine rifle indeed, but unless FAC it still won't deliver the pellet with enough K.E to penatrate the muscle and the breastbone of an adult woody.

It was your claim to regularly shoot them in the chest directly to the heart or lungs that will wind up most people :yes:

Tony

• Like 1