Dumb + Dumber

I was down my local scrap yard today weighing in a cast iron bath.The pup was sticking her head out of the van having a look round.

Three lads took an interest in the pup asking" hows she bred mate,have you coursed her yet"?"no" i replyed shes only 6 mnths old.

I told them about taking her ferreting yesterday and how she chased a full grown rabbit to the hedge and making a canny quarter grown rabbit jink and turn 3 times before darting back into another warren.

"Did she kill" they asked "no" i said but in my eyes the chase was a success being the first time she'd seen a rabbit flee and only the second time out ferreting .

The 1 chap started telling me that she should of got the young un and if she was ever going to learn to strike and to give her a "mouth"as he called it,i should let her rip a ferret apart.He told me he'd let his pup kill a big polecat ferret years ago and that had turned out to be a good dog.

His mate said" ye if you ever want her to kill anything thats what you should do ".

When i told them i didnt want her to kill rabbits and would be expecting her to bring her quarry back live to hand they almost fell off their perch.

Horses for courses agreed i said but how would you be expecting me to go ferreting with a dog that wanted to rip a ferret apart?

Well that what you shoul do he said and to this they got in their van and drove off,leaving me purplexed to how some peoples minds work.

Fair enough my pup isnt as advanced as some of her age but shes coming on nicely.

When we got home i took her out in the back alley with a smaller rabbit my albino hob caught in the opening of a hole and had her retrieving this to hand, which again i was pleased with..

She showed good prey drive and got steadier with the ferrets after she saw first rabbit but still very playfull with the older dogs hence why i took her out on her own.

Looking forward to next season but will be using these little bunnies to our advantage!

dont listen to dickheads simple as. just take your time and do things the right way. there is no rush the pup will be ready when its ready.you yourself will no when its the right time to progress. good luck with the pup. :thumbs: on a personel note i always liked to start of pups on there own because it suited me.

• Like 3

I was down my local scrap yard today weighing in a cast iron bath.The pup was sticking her head out of the van having a look round.

Three lads took an interest in the pup asking" hows she bred mate,have you coursed her yet"?"no" i replyed shes only 6 mnths old.

I told them about taking her ferreting yesterday and how she chased a full grown rabbit to the hedge and making a canny quarter grown rabbit jink and turn 3 times before darting back into another warren.

"Did she kill" they asked "no" i said but in my eyes the chase was a success being the first time she'd seen a rabbit flee and only the second time out ferreting .

The 1 chap started telling me that she should of got the young un and if she was ever going to learn to strike and to give her a "mouth"as he called it,i should let her rip a ferret apart.He told me he'd let his pup kill a big polecat ferret years ago and that had turned out to be a good dog.

His mate said" ye if you ever want her to kill anything thats what you should do ".

When i told them i didnt want her to kill rabbits and would be expecting her to bring her quarry back live to hand they almost fell off their perch.

Horses for courses agreed i said but how would you be expecting me to go ferreting with a dog that wanted to rip a ferret apart?

Well that what you shoul do he said and to this they got in their van and drove off,leaving me purplexed to how some peoples minds work.

Fair enough my pup isnt as advanced as some of her age but shes coming on nicely.

When we got home i took her out in the back alley with a smaller rabbit my albino hob caught in the opening of a hole and had her retrieving this to hand, which again i was pleased with..

She showed good prey drive and got steadier with the ferrets after she saw first rabbit but still very playfull with the older dogs hence why i took her out on her own.

Looking forward to next season but will be using these little bunnies to our advantage!

Nothing wrong with anything you have described about your pup,

The people you were speaking to were just thick cnuts that is all

• Like 1

There are lots of idiots with funny ideas about. I was once asked about my bitch "Have you broken her ribs yet?" I replied "no" and was then told that she'd never catch a rabbit because lurchers have to have their ribs broken to turn properly :blink:

Ignore the fuckwits and go as slow as you need to, theres plenty of time.

There are lots of idiots with funny ideas about. I was once asked about my bitch "Have you broken her ribs yet?" I replied "no" and was then told that she'd never catch a rabbit because lurchers have to have their ribs broken to turn properly :blink:

ive heard such like before myself what a load of pish are some people so stupid !

Now I've heard some silly things in my life, ideas based on old fashioned notions etc., but that surely lands in the Top 10 of Stupidest Things I've Ever Heard.